PDA

View Full Version : How do l make something like this??

yakumo
11-27-2003, 02:33 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.smith97/artbyiain/images/index.jpg

LittleFenris
11-27-2003, 02:36 PM
What do you want to make? The head? The helmet? The hair? Please be more specific or noone will be able to assist you. :shrug:

Tommi
11-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by yakumo
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.smith97/artbyiain/images/index.jpg

maybe... practice? :hmm:

LittleFenris
11-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Tommi
maybe... practice? :hmm:

HAHAHAHA. not a very helpful post, but funny nonetheless. "RTFM" could have worked too. :p

Tommi
11-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Hey... I'm just being honest and the truth can hurt sometimes :D

hehehe....

yakumo
11-27-2003, 09:06 PM
:p

no l mean how does he get that 'realistic' effort, l mean lm currently working on the Inside Lightwave 7 head model but this totally blows everything up. Can anyone tell how could l approach making something like this

Tommi
11-27-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm no expert in this, but to me it looks like a photo texture...

yakumo
11-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Can anyone confirm this, any advice please:bounce:

LittleFenris
11-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Its just a good head model with a very good texture painted on it. Its all in the skill of the artist. Box modeling seems to be popular for heads or point by point, all depends on your preference and patience.

yakumo
11-27-2003, 10:00 PM
so l basically do a v.box head model and then use a good texture?

SplineGod
11-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Yakumo,
Assuming you have a decent enough model theres two things you need to look at:
1. Texturing
2. Lighting

More then likely he took photos of his face and reworked them into a texture map. If you do this you need to make sure that you blend out any shadows and just keep the basic colors.
You would need to be able to rework these images to fit onto an unwrapped UV template so it all fits properly.
You could get most of what you would need from a side, 3/4 and front view and make them fit that UV template I mentioned. This is pretty commonly done because its faster then drawing or painting the textures from scratch in most cases.

On top of the color map you would need diffuse, specular and bump maps. That self portrait image to me looks like a 3D head with a photo mapped to it. I dont see any specular highlights from skin oils and I dont see any bumps and a few other things that would make it look much more realistic.

It looks like some kind of radiosity lighting or some kind of area lighting was used because of the diffuse shadows. How you approach the lighting will effect the final outcome greatly. Theres no magic bullet here either. You need to determine the setting you want the head to be rendered in... daylight, moonlight, time of day, indoors, outdoors, warm lighting, cool lighting etc etc.

LittleFenris
11-27-2003, 10:09 PM
I would say most of the quality is in the textures. Thats a pretty nice texture map on that head model.

rickycox
11-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Userdelat has a good modeling tut. http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/head/index.html

robin
11-28-2003, 07:27 AM
good link, but this didnt answer the texture question ;)

P.S( it prolly a photo wraped over someone's modeling it looks good but not a big deal )

erikals
11-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Good texturing and HDRI lighting, maybe also using a SubSurfaceShader like Ska to make the skin translucent.

lwwiz
11-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Hi hi.
Okay I am by no means a textureing expert but here are a few pointers. first check out this textureing thread.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63930&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
It was started by leigh who is a great texture artist. Also iff you can learn som stuff from that thread then you may want to try spline gods video charecter series I hear those are very good but pretty exspensive. or you can go to http://www.facegen.com
This is a program to take photos and convert them to 3d models wichj I belive is something like the photo at pic you posted was done. you also might want to look out for leighs textureing book when it comes out its going to be awesome. and 1 last thing iff you are going to paint hand textures with Ps or painter be sure a practice practice practice. Hope this helps your friend shannon.

yakumo
11-28-2003, 07:40 PM
l love to do Splinegod's courses, however, at this stage l simply can't due to money matters

Is there any websites that can gently ease me into this process...

lwwiz
11-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Well I do know how to make a simple base texture but I will have to make a video on how to do it but I would have to be paid for it. it would be around 50$ for a two part series on how to make a simple base texture. but let me know iff your interested and Ill show you a simple base skin I did.
Yopu would have to buy it through paypal wich means credit card or sned me a check and I wont send the cd till it clears. Letme know.

SplineGod
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I guess it depends on how you term expensive. :)
My complete character course is over 60 hrs of quicktime movies.
At the price Im running now that comes out ot about $10/hour.
If you throw in the support time on my forums its a lot less.
There are no other materials out there on Characters that come close to the detail I go into and the level of support I give. The courses are self paced and the online support unlimited.
I also allow the character course to be purchased one module at a time. Right now Im offering 25% off anything I have for anyone who preorders the new Lightwave 8: 1001Tips and Tricks from wordware. :)
Right now Im also running a special on my character course. Anyone who signs up can get the whole course for $600.00 plus both Tour CDs AND WordWares Tips and Tricks book. That would be 20 extra hours of training material and the book. Either way, not a bad deal. :)
Details are HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/professionalcharacterseries.htm)

leigh
11-28-2003, 08:58 PM
No offense lwwiz, but $50 is way too much for something like that.
For the same price you could buy an entire book, covering the entire process, written by an expert.
For a video showing just a basic start for something, I don't really think it's something you could (or should) actually charge money for.

In the end, I always just advise practise. And practising costs nothing :)

lwwiz
11-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi leigh I geuss your right that is a bit much, so here is what Ill do for you man Just becuase I really think you need a little bit of a start. I will work on a two part series of basic and I mean very basic textureing and when I get them done I will contact you and I can have you download them or I can send them to you on cd. I suppose when I am as good as leigh then and only then Can I make a video tutorial textureing course to sell. Give me awhile And Ill have the vids done for you.
And oh leigh what book would teach me for 50 bucks I would love to buy a copy thanks.

lwwiz
12-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Alright here is a basic way to make a simple skin base. Its not that realistic but it should get you started in the right direction. I know It helped me.
http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/tuts/lwwiz/skin.rar

LittleFenris
12-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
In the end, I always just advise practise. And practising costs nothing :)

Except time, and time is money in this biz. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.