PDA

View Full Version : dynamic tree branches

Neilman
07-04-2012, 12:24 AM
I have a tree with several large branches that branch off into several smaller ones which branch off again to even smaller ones and so on... I'm trying to rig this thing up so that it can be affected by wind dynamics to give all the branches some gentle swaying plus some secondary swing. I'm basically wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Oh and another thing, I need to do this strictly without using paint effects.

From looking around so far, the best way seems to be to use a spline ik system where the wind would affect a curve which would drive the joint of a branch. That seems to work fine for one branch. But how do I deal with the secondary and tertiary branches that stem off the main one? Can you nest this kind of spline ik system within another such system, potentially several times?

Anyway I just wanted to see if there was an easier way to go about this before I dive into it. Thanks!

Neil

cwisbg
07-23-2012, 12:29 AM
look into ncloth. i was messing around a little with it for a similar project and it worked pretty good. For a tree try turning all the branches into ncloth, and apply a component to component constraint ( so the branches that are not one mesh wont float away). you will need to mess with the ncloth settings untll you get the right stiffness and look, and possible maps to get better control.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2012, 12:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.