PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and rendering Execution

n3al
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi There

I would just like to ask about effective methods for planning and executing lighting and rendering as well as decent and effective workflows.

I'm currently a student at Touchvision Training in Cape Town, South Africa and we recently started a team project asnd i have been assigned to the lighting team. I would like to know where I can get decent tutorials on this matter as we are trying to combine a cartoon feel with manga ways of showing emotion, like the darkened backgrounds, washed out scenes etc.

Thank You :thumbsup:
Neal Strydom

InfernalDarkness
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Hey N3al! I think your question is a little too vague for anyone to be able to help you. We don't know what software you're using, what rendering engine, etc.

My initial response would be: Create the lights, click Render. Tweak, test, and repeat!

We can't give you tips on your workflow either, as we don't know what program you're using.

n3al
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm using Maya 2013 and we use mental ray to render. We are currently working on an animation short for a team project and I've been assigned to the lighting and rendering team. I've been thinking of making a master light setup and then just tweaking the lighting for each shot as is necessary to create the desired effect.

We are working with a shaolin monastery layout in a mountainous terrain and we haven't set a time for when the scene plays out as it is indoor and the main lighting will be bright sunlight from the window. There will be three characters of which a monk and a fly will take up prime spot for the short and mainly a mix of relics, charms, statues and wall ornamentations for decoration.

Sorry for my vague information, hope this info helps

Sowiedu
07-07-2012, 01:17 PM
You may want to take a look at the Book "Digital Lighting and Rendering" by Jeremy Birn, that should get you started.

n3al
07-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys, I saw my reply to the first post didn't post so here it is again. I'm using May 2013 at college and I'm using Mental Ray to render as well as Adobe After Effects for compositing. We are doing an animation short of a little monk that sneaks into his master's meditation room to try and achieve who knows whet by using the room to meditate, then during the whole scenario he is constantly interrupted by a fly and eventually he loses his temper and ends up trashing everything in the room.

Thanks for the reply about the book, I went and got the book for myself. It really helps a lot!

InfernalDarkness
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Mr. Birn's book is excellent, and the only book I've purchased on the topic of CG for many years!

For your scene, I would suggest the sun/sky and Portal Lights for your windows. Often you'll want one Portal Light for each bank of windows, as opposed to each individual window, but it depends on how close together they are or how many. Experiment.

You connect the Portal Light to an Area Light, then connect the Portal Light node to the Physical Sky. They work wonders and are very easy to work with for the most part! And they render fast and clean, much moreso than any other technique I'm aware of, and without blotchy FG artifacts too (which is their main purpose: to focus Final Gather).

n3al
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the help with the lighting suggestions! will definitely check it out. I also came across a guy named Jeremy Vickery's work. He also gave me some advice as well as his tutorials add to what you guys suggest and to the book.
I will be posting renders of the scenes to show you all what our team comes up with :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.