PDA

View Full Version : Character: Kelvin

colour
11-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi all

I've been browsing these forums for quite some time now, (spending far more time here than I should!) and decided its time to put something out there for a change. I entered this little guy in a LWG3d competition sometime ago, but he's undergone some work since.

He's a semi-cartoony figure, thus no intense muscular or texturing work. I'll add some 'clothing' soon.

AndrewE
11-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Dood!

That's soo creepy!

He would be such a good animated character with eye twiches and it all!

Show a wireframe

And how did you model him?

LittleFenris
11-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Hes pretty cool. He would definitely be a fun character to see animated. :bounce: I see him as a skitzoprenic type of guy, very twitchy and unstable. :buttrock:

carbon8
11-27-2003, 03:59 PM
HeHe. I like that. Has a lot of character.
Come to think of it. He looks alot like my old boss.

When do we get to see some animation?:thumbsup:

Miyazaki
11-27-2003, 04:43 PM
I like it, looks cool, and sneaky :thumbsup:

Nemoid
11-27-2003, 05:04 PM
Funny, and with some Jim Henson good style into!! :buttrock:

colour
11-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Hi there

Before I send some more images and wireframes, could someone please enlighten me as to how to insert attachments into the message instead of a link to them appearing.

Thanks!

Kvaalen
11-28-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by colour
Hi there

Before I send some more images and wireframes, could someone please enlighten me as to how to insert attachments into the message instead of a link to them appearing.

Thanks!

I'm afraid you can't do that.
I think it is supposed to keep the amount of used bandwidth down or something.

The best solution is to host the images on a different site and create an [img] code here for it.

colour
11-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

AndrewE: I've attached a wireframe shade pic. My modelling process is pretty simple. I start with simple shapes (subd box or cylinder etc) and pull points, delete parts, add more details. Also a lot of beveling (for arms & legs) and a bit of smooth shifting.

Mostly, a lot of trial and error till I'm happy, but I guess that goes for us all!

colour
11-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Here he is looking a lot less menacing... he's pretty flexible all-round, with a bunch of facial morph targets.

Werner
11-28-2003, 12:10 PM
hey colour, good to see you here. Show the walk cycle you did as well please.

SA rules!

colour
11-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Howzit Werner! I haven't got a site to put the clip on. I'm busy setting up a small site which should be done this weekend. Is there any other way to do it without a site of my own to link to?

I'll re-render the clip so-long with his hair and textures, as those are new.

Here's one especially for the South Africans out there (or perhaps worldwide, I don't know). Quite a common site on most busy intersections! I think he looks suitably pathetic.

colour
11-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Here's his 'very determined' walk-cycle

http://www.zerokelvin.co.za/walk.zip

AndrewE
11-30-2003, 05:24 PM
That's awesome man!

His shoulders are too animated.

Try making them swing half the distance.

But I'm thoroughly impressed!

colour
11-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Yeah, the shoulders do move a lot, that's why I said 'determined' as he's walking with great gusto, but I agree, it is rather extreem.

I'll try something different next.

AndrewE
11-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Try spicing it up with a little limp. A twitch in the eye.

But you can keep the shoulders moving like that just have his arms and forearms move up more and swing back more.

SplineGod
12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Hey Colour,
Nice work! He is creepy looking. Great style though.
The walk cycle looks pretty good/fluid overall. Its a tough call on the shoulders because it looks right for him. A bit exaggerated but then again, so is he. The hands have a nice little overlapping motion to them. The toes should stick better and maybe drop a bit when the feet lift to go forward.
It looks like the Course has been working pretty well for you. :)

carbon8
12-01-2003, 11:56 AM
I agree with Splinegod. I think the shoulders are fine, especially with the amount of swing to his arms. I like the way his eye-flaps or what ever you would call them bounce a little when he steps. Very cool!

colour
12-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi

Larry: Yup, your cds enabled even a rigging moron such as myself to create a VERY flexible rig, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Your courses are invaluable. I've never seen anything as thorough concerning just about every aspect of rigging as your cds (and believe me, I've scoured the web & amazon for ages!

AndrewE: I agree he could have some added interesting eye twitches etc, but as it is a single cycle, it might get a bit much with each step. If I extend the animation that would work nicely.

Carbon8: eyeflaps LOL! You're probably right, a bit weird to call them eyebrows.

SplineGod
12-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by colour
Hi

Larry: Yup, your cds enabled even a rigging moron such as myself to create a VERY flexible rig, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Your courses are invaluable. I've never seen anything as thorough concerning just about every aspect of rigging as your cds (and believe me, I've scoured the web & amazon for ages!

ROFL! "Rigging Moron"....Do you mind if I borrow that term? :)
Based on how nice you got that character moving I would say that youve definately graduated past the moron stage. Its great to see people take some information and RUN bigtime with it. Very nice stuff. :)

AndrewE
12-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Yeah, it's a beautiful thing...

colour
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi again

Its been quite some time since my last post, and although I'm currently busy with a proper lip-synced scene with him in it, here's a casual walk, not a cycle this time.

I've added no facial or hand animation this time, or hair, for that matter.

http://www.zerokelvin.co.za/casual walk past rocks.zip

modernhorse
03-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Great stride! He's got attitude. I really like this guy. And I'm glad you're still working on him.

dcp
03-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Hahaha, he's gonna be the next addition to gumby. He looks awesome I really like the walk, kinda chicken head bob. I'm excited to see some more.

As for Larry, he's a very great teacher, though I can't really afford to spend hundreds on his classes all the video tutorials he's sent me are awesome. Nice paced and understandable. What more could a guy ask for...besides a woman?

SplineGod
03-04-2004, 01:46 AM

colour
03-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks Guys, glad you like him.

I'll try putting up some more fun 'very' shorts on a more regular basis.

SplineGod
03-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Cool, looking forward to that ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.