PDA

View Full Version : New GPU for Maya Animation (Geforce vs Quadro etc)

skyelander
07-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Hi all,

Firstly apologies as I know this is a topic that crops up often, but I have been looking for information on this for days and my head is spinning with the competing info out there! :sad:

What I would like to know is what people think is the CURRENT best graphics card solution for running Maya?

I am going to be building a new (windows) PC very soon and the GPU is the main sticking point for me.
My main priority is Character Animation in Maya so Viewport performance/FPS is more important to me than rendering etc. good real time playback would be marvelous :)
I currently use a Quadro FX1700 on a core2 Quad running xp32bit so am looking for significant performance gains on a new rig ;)

I also use Adobe programs quite a bit (Photoshop,After Effects and a fair bit of Premiere) so this also adds to my confusion as to what best to go for (Nvidia best again?)

General consensus I have seen is that Geforces may have crippled drivers but are better value than Quadros (which are due a reboot soon?). AMD Radeons/Firepros I've been told to stay well away from for Maya work but I have also heard a few people say that some of the newer ones are working flawlessly for them?

My ideal Budget would be under 300 ($470) for the GPU as I dont want to go too far over 1000 ($1500) for the whole build (Looking at i7 3770k CPU, SSD boot drive etc).

Have been looking at the GTX 580 or 560ti (heard the 6** series dont run too well in Maya?).. or at a stretch a quadro 2000 or 4000 if the benefits really justify the price.
AMD I am still wary of but would be willing to try if consensus on them was overwhelmingly positive ;)

Anyway many thanks for reading and any thoughts immensely appreciated! :thumbsup:

Endycool
07-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Hi there, i'm currently in the same situation you were back when you wrote this. I was wondering what gpu did you buy?. I'm also looking for a gpu mainly for animation purposes and I'm really confused... :banghead:

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2012, 02:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.