PDA

View Full Version : GPU for Maya Animation (GTX or Quadro etc)

skyelander
06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi all,

Firstly apologies as I know this is a topic that crops up often, but I have been looking for information on this for days and my head is spinning with the competing info out there! :sad:

What I would like to know is what people think is the CURRENT best graphics card solution for running Maya?

I am going to be building a new (windows) PC very soon and the GPU is the main sticking point for me.
My main priority is Character Animation in Maya so Viewport performance/FPS is more important to me than rendering etc, good real time playback would be marvelous :)
I currently use a Quadro FX1700 on a core2 Quad running xp32bit so am looking for significant performance gains on a new rig ;)

I also use Adobe programs quite a bit (Photoshop,After Effects and a fair bit of Premiere) so this also adds to my confusion as to what best to go for (Nvidia best again?)

General consensus I have seen is that Geforces may have crippled drivers but are better value than Quadros (which are due a reboot soon?). AMD Radeons/Firepros I've been told to stay well away from for Maya work but I have also heard a few people say that the newer ones are working flawlessly for them.

My ideal Budget would be under 300 for the GPU as I dont want to go too far over 1000 for the whole build (Looking at i7 3770k CPU, SSD boot drive etc).

Have been looking at the GTX 580 or 560ti (heard the 6** series dont run too well in Maya?).. or at a stretch a quadro 2000 or 4000 if the benefits really justify the price.
AMD I am still wary of but would be willing to try if consensus on them was overwhelmingly positive ;)

Anyway many thanks for reading and any thoughts immensely appreciated! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.