PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to have 2 or more ATA controller cards on one system?

singularity2006
11-27-2003, 05:48 AM
Is it possible? I know it's overkill and all for THAT many, but it's just a thought. Is it possible?

parallax
11-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Yes.

For instance, some boards already come equipped with 2 onboard controllers, some even have an extra S-ATA controller.
You could even add another one.
They're a bit notorious to setup though. Let alone 2+ add-on controllers.

Why do you need that many controllers though, if you don't mind me asking?

Striping 4 disk on 1 controller?

singularity2006
11-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Wow, really? I always thought the motherboard would go crazy trying to figure out what the heck to boot off of.

Anyhow, it's basically because I'm reluctant to get SATA, which would require me to upgrade everything on my bro's computer. He's only in middle school so he doesn't need the power. However, the board is truly screwed up. BIOS flashes and battery replacements have had no affect in the problem that the board no longer recognizes slave devices on the comp. So I've currently switched everything to a single channel by adding in an ATA100 controller. So the DVD on the primary IDE, CDRW on the secondary IDE, and the hard drive on the controller card. However, I wanted to add another HD and a zip drive but realized that only the drive would work. Optical media doesn't seem to like to work on add on controller cards.... with that in mind, I occasionally look for something that may support it. Oh well, no rush.

And on top of that, it'd be nice to know if it'll work since RAID itself is such a pain to setup.

stephen2002
11-27-2003, 06:01 PM
SATA, for now at least, is only for hard disks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.