PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Retina or Origin EON15-S !!

Mattgfx
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/06/12/Macbook_Pro_2012_with_Retina_Display_35331572_05_620x433.jpg

http://www.sagernotebook.com/images/products/9150.jpg

http://www.gadgetmasala.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/CES-2012-Origin-PC-Redesigns-the-EON17-S-and-EON15-S-Gaming-Notebooks-2.jpg

Currently in a debate between these THREE laptops. I made a google spreadsheet with the information to help me decide. This computer is going to be my mobile and main workstation for all adobe programs, and 3D programs such as Maya, Cinema 4D and Soft.

Google Spreadsheet Macbook Pro Retina vs Origin EON15-S vs Sager NP9150 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai14TSymfhDedGpoM1ppeVltTVEyR2VraTlMazZaOHc#gid=0)

I will be connecting an external display at home to it also. Probably an LG IPS225T 22inch (http://www.amazon.com/LG-IPS225T-22-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B007SIC6EA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1S1E1JB3OALM0&coliid=IO30ZTVA7U62O)

Any input on the Monitor and the Computers will be greatly appreciated.

ChukChuk
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Personally I would go for the origin laptop.
I would probably also switch the nvidia card for the AMD but I guess that's up to personal preference.

sentry66
06-29-2012, 08:01 PM
I would go for the laptop that doesn't have screen ghosting and burn in after 20 min, so I'd choose anything but the apple laptop

Mattgfx
06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I would go for the laptop that doesn't have screen ghosting and burn in after 20 min, so I'd choose anything but the apple laptop

Thats not every monitor. Only happens to some people

cgbeige
06-30-2012, 02:14 AM
considering Apple replaced the motherboard in my old MBP with the notorious Nvidia 8600M three times and then gave me a new machine without the problem once Nvidia fixed the issue, it's safe to say they'll replace these with unaffected units.

Mattgfx
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
considering Apple replaced the motherboard in my old MBP with the notorious Nvidia 8600M three times and then gave me a new machine without the problem once Nvidia fixed the issue, it's safe to say they'll replace these with unaffected units.

Yeah, keep the input coming!

BoostAbuse
07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Does it need to be portable or is it docked most of the time? Are you doing colour sensitive work? I don't see the Origin list the colour gamut of their LED but for photo work the RMBP is astounding with 98% gamut. If you're after raw power and it's going to stay parked on a desk then the Origin seems like it would fit the bill for you but if portability and not lighting your lap on fire is what you're after I'd say check out the RMBP.

It may take some getting used to as well but once you've used a DCC or VS/XCode at 2880x1800 it's hard to go back to smaller res screens :)

-s

Mattgfx
07-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Does it need to be portable or is it docked most of the time? Are you doing colour sensitive work? I don't see the Origin list the colour gamut of their LED but for photo work the RMBP is astounding with 98% gamut. If you're after raw power and it's going to stay parked on a desk then the Origin seems like it would fit the bill for you but if portability and not lighting your lap on fire is what you're after I'd say check out the RMBP.

It may take some getting used to as well but once you've used a DCC or VS/XCode at 2880x1800 it's hard to go back to smaller res screens :)

-s

Thats what im thinking too. And with an external display it would be pretty ideal. What do you think of the LG i have linked above?

earwax69
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Before plunging on the Retina macbook, go read a bit on macrumors forum. Everybody seams to have trouble with the rMBP, especially graphic designers.

Mattgfx
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Before plunging on the Retina macbook, go read a bit on macrumors forum. Everybody seams to have trouble with the rMBP, especially graphic designers.
yeah i have been. I think i am going to wait a month or two so most of the issues have been resolved, if they're not then i may go with a pc.

BoostAbuse
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Thats what im thinking too. And with an external display it would be pretty ideal. What do you think of the LG i have linked above?

Never seen that LG monitor in person but a lot of photo friends use this Dell display: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-2736&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=9&baynote_irrank=0 which is also an IPS display.

As for folks having problems with the Retina if you're using it in Retina mode then yeah you get pixel doubling outside Apple applications right now. It seems more apps are starting to move towards supporting it so it shouldn't take too long but the more complex the application the harder it will likely be to get full support (i.e. DCC apps). You can bypass that using the 2880x1800 desktop if you have eagle eyes or scale to 1920x1200 but you'll take a small performance hit using 1920x1200 as it's rendering double that res and downscaling.

CKPinson
07-03-2012, 07:04 PM
my work peers are still having issues with brightness.

Mattgfx
07-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Never seen that LG monitor in person but a lot of photo friends use this Dell display: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-2736&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=9&baynote_irrank=0 which is also an IPS display.

As for folks having problems with the Retina if you're using it in Retina mode then yeah you get pixel doubling outside Apple applications right now. It seems more apps are starting to move towards supporting it so it shouldn't take too long but the more complex the application the harder it will likely be to get full support (i.e. DCC apps). You can bypass that using the 2880x1800 desktop if you have eagle eyes or scale to 1920x1200 but you'll take a small performance hit using 1920x1200 as it's rendering double that res and downscaling.

interesting, thanks for the information. I will probably run it in its native res.

Mattgfx
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Still cant make up my mind. I think im going to wait until end of August to see if the RMBP problems sort of a bit. The PC's are very tempting though mainly because of the GFX cards.

DanielWray
07-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Bare in mind with the Macbook that you are getting only 1440x900 or something along those lines, unless you decrease of everything on screen, at which point you cannot see anything.

Personally the Sager machine, with a custom specification looks like the best deal. You can get a very solid set-up for about $2,200.

Here is the specifications

15.6" Full HD LED (Matte finish)
Guaranteed no dead pixels
AMD HD 7970 2GB
Intel I7 3610
Windows 7 (Pro)
32GB DDR3 RAM
750GB 7,200rpm SATA + 8GB SSD

All for $2,199 - A great laptop for that price!

cgbeige
07-07-2012, 09:43 PM
you don't know much about the retina MBP - you can set it to a variety of resolutions or use the full 2800x1800 resolution:

http://cdn.arstechnica.net//wp-content/uploads/2012/06/rMBP_res_settings.jpg

DanielWray
07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Well I'm not an avid follower, but as you can see the text becomes smaller, making it quite unusable - imagine having it 1920x1080, or even full resolution, you'd need a magnifying glass to read things.

I believe 'retina' capable applications up-scale the interface so things like films appear at full resolution though.

tuna
07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Well I'm not an avid follower, but as you can see the text becomes smaller, making it quite unusable - imagine having it 1920x1080, or even full resolution, you'd need a magnifying glass to read things.

I believe 'retina' capable applications up-scale the interface so things like films appear at full resolution though.

Those are icons and not literally what the text looks like at those scale settings. Same as how save icons are pictures of floppy disks, it doesn't mean you're forced to save to an actual floppy disk.

DanielWray
07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Not exact, I'd agree, but a good indication - Best save up for those new glasses if you're going to spend hours looking at such small text :p

cgbeige
07-08-2012, 04:12 AM
or you could change the setting to an intermediate setting. It's not an either/or scenario.

tuna
07-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Exactly, and that's sort of the point in Retina displays, it's their direction towards resolution independence. You can set the display to be the size/scale you like without worrying about resolution which is impossible on all other displays. On the rMBP, you can set it to the size you want AND it'll look a ton better than other displays.

Now the caveat: This is all assuming applications are updated to take advantage of it. Until they are, this dream doesn't quite work out as well as it should, but the scaled to 1920x1200 mode is a nice in-between right now and text is very easy to read.

Mattgfx
07-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Apparently the RMP Graphics card (650 gt) is overclocked to somewhere over the power of the 660 gtx which makes it a pretty decent card.

mustique
07-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I took a look at the RMBP at a tech store and the screen looks gorgeous. :drool: I guess the people around thought I'm nuts cause I was staring about 10 minutes at the screen with my nose touching it. It's as if you were looking at paper.

I couldn't tell much of a quality difference with different monitor resolutions for native apps that were retina ready. I'm gonna buy it as soon as I find one with 16 GB ram.

cgbeige
07-18-2012, 06:01 PM
ya, retina screens have a way of making everything else look like ass. After I got an iPad 3, I had a meeting at Reader's Digest and they had an iPad 2 and I was shocked by how bad it looked. I'm going to steer clear of seeing the rMBP because I know it will make me sad about my 2011 17"'s screen

07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
i'm planning to buy an rMBP, mostly for (game/graphic) programming and low-poly with maya, connected to 24 inches display. my current rig is 2012 mac mini with and gpu. i wonder how rmbp reacts when connected to non retina display. will it affect the performance (significantly)?

thanks

cgbeige
07-20-2012, 03:39 AM
no - I use my 2011 MBP with an external display over Thunderbolt to DVI and the performance is the same. I benchmarked Cinebench and it was the same on the external screen. Two TB outs on the rMBP, that's pretty sweet. A shame about the lack of an ethernet port though, so one of those might be reserved for an adapter

tuna
07-20-2012, 06:17 AM
A shame about the lack of an ethernet port though, so one of those might be reserved for an adapter

It is a shame about the lack of an ethernet port, but Thunderbolt can be daisy chained so there are options if its vital. It's just gonna be... Expensive... :(

[edit] and it has an hdmi out, so this is only a problem if you're rocking 3 external displays + the laptop display.

imashination
07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
BTW, it comes with a thunderbolt -> ethernet dongle included, which I wasnt expecting.

tuna
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
No it doesn't. At least it doesn't in the USA. I had to pay $30 extra for one.

sentry66
07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
it's a shame about the battery being non-removable. Pretty much makes the lifespan of the laptop become 2 years. I guess that's a way for apple to get you to buy their warranty instead of just getting an extra battery

Mattgfx
07-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah, i wish Mac was still geared towards professionals. They're moving away from it slowly. You cant customize anything!

mustique
07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
When bought with the desired RAM, SSD and CPU, there's really nothing left to upgrade in any notebook imo. And with a thunderbolt, there's always room for more and faster storage and other unusual hardware connectivity options that are still to come...

cgbeige
07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
ya, I just wish the HD was replaceable. I noticed that Apple lets you put 768GB of storage in the rMBP but it's shockingly expensive. I have a 120GB 6GB/s drive and a 750GB HD in my 2011 MBP and while the rMBP drive is a lot faster than the HD, it also adds $500 to the price and who knows what it will cost to replace once out of warranty? At least with the MacBook Air, it's a module, not soldered to the mobo, so you can buy 3rd party kits.

tuna
07-22-2012, 06:38 AM
At least with the MacBook Air, it's a module, not soldered to the mobo, so you can buy 3rd party kits.

It is also a module in the rMBP. It's the RAM that is soldered onto the mobo.

cgbeige
07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
ah shit. ok - I sit corrected. Then that's okay. 16GB of RAM is plenty for a laptop.

It will be interesting to see what OWC makes for it. They make great Mac products and I think the popularity of this machine (it's still backordered for weeks) will have others jump as well.

Mattgfx
07-22-2012, 05:21 PM
For its not an issue since im maxing out any computer i buy. Good thing about the Sager is that you can change just about anything.

dmeyer
07-22-2012, 07:11 PM
ah shit. ok - I sit corrected. Then that's okay. 16GB of RAM is plenty for a laptop.

It will be interesting to see what OWC makes for it. They make great Mac products and I think the popularity of this machine (it's still backordered for weeks) will have others jump as well.

They're working on an Aura SSD (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012) upgrade similar to the one for the Air. There isn't much else upgradeable, but then again everything else on the machine is pretty much top end if you spec 16GB.

BabsDoProd
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
My ASUS G53J has been doing great for anything I throw at it. The only aftermarket upgrade was on the RAM to a generous 14GB (would have been 16 but accessing the "hidden" RAM slot requires a lot of risky disassembly). Best part was the price, just an absolute bargain! If given the choice between one of the newer ASUS models with 4GB Nvidia GPUs and the new Retina Macbook Pros, the ASUS would win my purchase hands down. Now, I've heard nice things about Origin but in my years of experience, what it comes down to is that as long as it's good hardware, the only factor is pricing and reputation as far as company support goes.

However, if you are still invested in the OSX-side of things, then there's really no question, the Retina Macbook Pro is a significant leap from the previous generation in terms of what it offers for graphic artists. Another neat option would be the Modbook Pro if you wanted touchscreen instead of the Retina display.

cgbeige
07-22-2012, 09:39 PM
actually, I have the 2011 17" MBP and it is almost the same performance-wise as the rMBP. Ivy Bridge wasn't a huge leap over Sandy Bridge.

sentry66
07-23-2012, 12:26 AM
yeah ivy bridge hasn't impressed me at all. It's all about power savings and not really focused on performance

BoostAbuse
07-23-2012, 02:15 AM
actually, I have the 2011 17" MBP and it is almost the same performance-wise as the rMBP. Ivy Bridge wasn't a huge leap over Sandy Bridge.

Yep, 12% maybe on the high end and probably ~8% is the most common performance gains. I used to try and upgrade my machines with every hardware cycle but after Nehalem I found it better to just wait it out a couple revisions and get a larger increase.

I'll echo your statement earlier about the screen though... every time I open my Macbook Air or use my 27" ACD it just pales in comparison to the rMBP display. The colour gamut alone for editing my photos just crushes every other display I have.

Mattgfx
07-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Leaning towards the MBP

07-28-2012, 02:12 PM
wonder if mountain lion gives any boost to the performance/stability. anyone?

imashination
07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
wonder if mountain lion gives any boost to the performance/stability. anyone?

Same speed, never had any stability problems.

Mattgfx
07-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Same speed, never had any stability problems.

If you're talking about the laggyness in some applications that has been fixed like scrolling in Safari. But blurry text and such is up to third party software devs.

tuna
08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
I've been using the rMBP on 2880x1800 for a while now and have no need for any apps to update to "retina" any more. It's easy:

Most applications you can just increase the font size if its mostly a reading app (Messages, colluquoy, Sublime Text 2, terminal, etc)

For browsing, both Safari and Chrome will let you set a default zoom level for the pages it displays. I simply set it to somewhere around 130% (in safari you make a 3-line default css style in prefs). You can set this as big as you need to read comfortably.

In most 3d applications like Maya, c4d, houdini etc. you can also change the Font sizes and interface sizes to work to your liking. This has the added benefit that you can increase the size of parts of the app that you need, leaving the rest small and saving precious real estate :)

I've also had Win8 preview running inside Parallels for a while now and I can play some games (tropico4, silent hunter 4) nice and easy with it. I also set up XSI and had a few fun characters playing back at 24fps. So for modeling, ICE, etc. it is adequate. 3DSMax is even officially supported under Parallels so that's useful if you need to use that too.

Of course all of this is OSX specific, it's actually a lot easier in Windows as you just set the font scale to be 125% or 150% and you're set.

I've been very impressed so far with one exception, that the WiFi does not play nice with all wifi routers. Sometimes it's perfect, others it will randomly disconnect and act slow.

Mattgfx
08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I've been using the rMBP on 2880x1800 for a while now and have no need for any apps to update to "retina" any more. It's easy:

Most applications you can just increase the font size if its mostly a reading app (Messages, colluquoy, Sublime Text 2, terminal, etc)

For browsing, both Safari and Chrome will let you set a default zoom level for the pages it displays. I simply set it to somewhere around 130% (in safari you make a 3-line default css style in prefs). You can set this as big as you need to read comfortably.

In most 3d applications like Maya, c4d, houdini etc. you can also change the Font sizes and interface sizes to work to your liking. This has the added benefit that you can increase the size of parts of the app that you need, leaving the rest small and saving precious real estate :)

I've also had Win8 preview running inside Parallels for a while now and I can play some games (tropico4, silent hunter 4) nice and easy with it. I also set up XSI and had a few fun characters playing back at 24fps. So for modeling, ICE, etc. it is adequate. 3DSMax is even officially supported under Parallels so that's useful if you need to use that too.

Of course all of this is OSX specific, it's actually a lot easier in Windows as you just set the font scale to be 125% or 150% and you're set.

I've been very impressed so far with one exception, that the WiFi does not play nice with all wifi routers. Sometimes it's perfect, others it will randomly disconnect and act slow.

Awesome, thats great news. I am deff thinking about getting the RMBP

cgbeige
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Chrome 21 has retina support:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32956/google-chrome

Mattgfx
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Chrome 21 has retina support:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32956/google-chrome

Nice does it work better now?

cgbeige
08-03-2012, 01:02 AM
no idea - I don't have an rMBP. But it's not crashing on my 2011 in ML if you're talking about the GPU and Intel onboard video issue with Chrome.

grantmoore3d
08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Does anyone have experience running Windows 7 on the rMPB? I'm considering getting one because I want a laptop but also have need to test things on Windows, OSX and Linux at once, figured this would be the best machine to get.

tuna
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Windows in Bootcamp is kind of crap on a MBP. The drivers for the trackpad are not as good (no good gestures, and even the gestures that do exist feel terrible). Also AFAIK there is no gfx card switching, so you'll be running the discreet card all the time, absolutely killing your battery life and making the machine hot.

I also never found a setting to switch the command/alt keys around, even though someone said there was an option, I've yet to see it. This means your windows key would be where alt is, and visa versa, which will break your hands after a few hours of using it.

Apple really don't care about making their hardware work well on other OSs.

Of course, all of this is mostly about it being used as an actual laptop. If all you're wanting to do is test Windows while using the laptop as a desktop (perhaps headless, with plugged in mouse/kb/monitor), it will work pretty well!

grantmoore3d
08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
I had no idea those problems existing while running Windows, I thought the support would be better. While I was hoping to use Windows as my primary I suppose it's not that big of a deal to just use OSX since every single application I use is available on Mac now.

Does anyone have experience using Windows / Linux in a VMWare on OSX? That might be the easiest solution for what I want to accomplish.

dmeyer
08-13-2012, 02:18 AM
I had no idea those problems existing while running Windows, I thought the support would be better. While I was hoping to use Windows as my primary I suppose it's not that big of a deal to just use OSX since every single application I use is available on Mac now.

Does anyone have experience using Windows / Linux in a VMWare on OSX? That might be the easiest solution for what I want to accomplish.

I use Win7 on VMWare in OSX. Works great.

cgbeige
08-13-2012, 04:06 AM

Parallels Desktop 7 is much better for 3D apps in a VM. You can read my comparative review here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/10/virtual-showdown-parallels-desktop-7-and-vmware-fusion-4-reviewed/

but I wouldn't recommend it over Boot Camp, if you were thinking of using it full time. Give OS X a try and check out my blog for some useful utilities for OS X. Stuff like this:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/tagged/automator

typh0n
08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
+1 for the Macbook retina. I haven't come across anything as powerful. After using one in person it's hands down the best laptop i have used.

John

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.