PDA

View Full Version : GOBOXX 1840 or Clevo 170EM/Sager 9170?

MODMASH
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi Guys

I am searching for reliable Mobile Workstation to substitute my Pc, I use mostly Autodesk software (3ds max, Maya, Revit, and Autocad) and the work requires heavy renderings, and sometimes some architectural animations.

Here are some of the Mobile workstations i found:

Goboxx 1840

Dell Precision M6600 Mobile Workstation

HP EliteBook 8530w Mobile Workstation

Clevo 170EM/Sager 9170 : Athough the Sager was under Gaming laptops (not like the others found under "mobile workstatin") it had the same specs as the Goboxx 1840 for example... does that make a gaming laptop a workstation?

My first choice was the Goboxx 1840 but the price was over 5,456$ for the following specs:

Intel® Core i7-3920XM Extreme Edition Processor (2.9GHz) (Quad-Core)
8GB DDR3 1600 (4 SODIMMS)
180GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
180GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
8X DVD Multi Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-Bit
BOXX 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

whereas the Sager with similar specs was less than 4000$

If anyone had a similar experience with buying a mobile workstations please advise on which one to choose.

Thank you

sciLoop
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Boxx is way to expensive. I myself have a clevo. They generally have the fastest laptops ( called actually desktop raplacements ). There are clevo resellers around the world. The fastest would be a clevo with a desktop quad core, 32 gb ram and, if you want, a sli nvidia 980 M ( that nvidia is out for a week or so ). Its best to check notebookreview.com for resellers and comments on the new laptops.

vlad
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
...a sli nvidia 980 M ( that nvidia is out for a week or so )...

Why put a useless second graphics card in an already overheating box?
None of the software he mentioned using supports SLI...

sciLoop
06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Why put a useless second graphics card in an already overheating box?
None of the software he mentioned using supports SLI...

Its not overheating, else it would die...
I didn`t want to say he should use it in SLI mode. He can use the cards indepent of one another ( cuda etc. )
Bying just one card is cheaper though.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.