PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Hall, El Rafo (3D)

Raphael-Lacoste
11-27-2003, 01:16 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4029/Ancient_Hall_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4029/Ancient_Hall.jpg)

hello there,

here is my last illustration, I did it while working on the atmosphere of a cinematic project :)

hope you'll like it and give some comments!

wgreenlee1
11-27-2003, 01:37 AM
im lovin this...............major buttrockin on those pixels:buttrock:

vlad74
11-27-2003, 01:42 AM
amazing:applause:

Sas.hun
11-27-2003, 05:01 AM
Woooow!!! :drool:

This is Fantastic!!! Very nice work. :thumbsup:

stallion151
11-27-2003, 05:46 AM
great work of art!!!

is this an illustration or a 3d work?

Sqwall
11-27-2003, 07:18 AM
Very nice. Decend light at the scene. I love the textures. The scene reminds me a lot of the ubi soft new game Prince of persia the Sands of Time.:thumbsup:

charithmax
11-27-2003, 08:56 AM
superb work man , nice work with texturing and lighting!:thumbsup:

more pics plz:)

GFX-Arts
11-27-2003, 09:13 AM
really nice :)

3D-ima Green
11-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Wow! :D some very very nice work there...

Andrew W
11-27-2003, 11:49 AM
I really like a lot of this image, the monochromatic quality, the gently blown out highlights, all very evocative. I'd maybe soften the image a bit, the diaphanous quality of the curtain is lost a little when it's so hard edged.

Top notch.

A

Raphael-Lacoste
11-27-2003, 12:02 PM
thanks a lot quys :)

Sqwall: maybe it's because I was the Art directror of this Game :)

see ya!

Raafio.

Raphael-Lacoste
11-27-2003, 05:24 PM
stallion151: its a 3D work, I used 3Ds max 4 default renderer, but worked after on the picture in photoshop :)

Andrew W heah you're right, maybe use a mask for the sharpness :)

DAREONER
11-27-2003, 05:44 PM
jolie comme tout, belle atmosphere, dommage que tes ombres portées sur le mur ne sois pas plus dissipé, ca fait une confusion avec les barres des vitraux

FatherTed
11-27-2003, 07:05 PM
wow the lighting in this is wicked, I love the rays of light iluminating the curtains. Wicked job.

pascal_blanche
11-27-2003, 07:20 PM
My god Raph, you did it again, great work my friend! this one is certainly one one my favorites so far! common guys, give him some stars ;)

Bimo
11-27-2003, 07:42 PM
its tottaly awesome work. your ligting and texture are perfect. can we see the actual model without texture? thanks. :applause: :thumbsup:

Raphael-Lacoste
11-27-2003, 08:31 PM
hello there!

here is the Wire:

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/ftp/CG_forums/wire_hall.jpg

JamesMK
11-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Oh wow, this is excellent work. Top-notch lighting. The white transclucent curtains is such a perfect touch here - smooth organic movement v.s. the hard architecture in perfect contrast.
Very very good job indeed.

eirenicon
11-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Andrew W
I'd maybe soften the image a bit, the diaphanous quality of the curtain is lost a little when it's so hard edged.

Hah, the second I saw the curtains I thought "diaphanous". It's a great word.

I can't leave the topic without adding another great word, so I'll say that the liquefaction of the curtains is beautiful. An all-round gorgeous image.

Franc
11-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Good atmosphere:thumbsup:

Garma
11-28-2003, 12:08 AM
another piece of stunning art from your hands. What a lighting dude, really touching. Also the curtains are top notch.

:surprised :applause:

siquier
11-28-2003, 12:30 AM
I always enjoy a lot your artwork, I love the atmosphere and the color.
I applaud strongly.

nic_h
11-28-2003, 12:30 AM
please show your lighting setup? please. Did you texture, model and light the whole scene yourself?

Finefeat
11-28-2003, 12:47 AM
This is a great piece of work El Rafo.:applause:
There's so many nice little details to it.
I was wondering though how you were able to project the stain glass texture onto the lower left part of the wall like that. Is it through a light?

dav.bel
11-28-2003, 12:56 AM
C'est réellement fantastique.
La mod est exellente et l'eclairage n'en parlont pas, ca calme à tous les niveau.En plus de cela on sent bien l'influence de prince of persia sur l'ambiance général de la scene ce qui apporte une touche particuliere à l'atmosphere, presque palpable.
De toute vos réalisation vue sur votre site et sur 3D-station, c'est réellement ma préferé.
Encore bravo mister elrafo.:applause:
:)

Kinsbane
11-28-2003, 01:10 AM
That could very well be remniscient of a bunch of scenes from Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series... like Caemlyn or Cairhien.

Actually what it reminds me of is the prologue to book one, with Sammael and Lews Therin.

Adainiel
11-28-2003, 01:15 AM
I love your work, you have an absolutely gorgeous piece here. The atmosphere and the lighting is superb. I'm in awe and amazed, i truly do love it.

one thing i did notice was the way you decided to break the glass in the window. It appears like a stain glass window yet you've made it so that it's a sheet of glass ontop of the braced metal instead of inbetween. it doesn't quite look right to me but i love it all the same.

so again, great work and i can't wait for the next one! = )

~Ada

nemirc
11-28-2003, 02:24 AM
This is all I have to say.
"holi fak!"

This is really an awesome environment :applause:
I really like the lighting and the complete building. Sort of reminds me of "The Cathedral".

ElKrullo
11-28-2003, 02:53 AM
An absolutely lovely piece of work!
The only thing that bugs me a bit is that those curtains look a bit flat. Or maybe I'm just tired. Anyway.. 4½ stars from me! :thumbsup:

pascal_blanche
11-28-2003, 02:55 AM
hey guys here is a tip: catmull rom.. this is a really handy filter for renderings with 3ds max... i know that raph uses it, and that`s why his picture is so brillant and sharp ;)

phoenix
11-28-2003, 03:40 AM
once again a very impressive image

PhilOsirus
11-28-2003, 03:42 AM
Beautiful. But why is there a broken collumn in the middle? I don't see where it would have been if it had not been broken. It's as if someone dumped a broken collumn in the cathedral;) Show us more, different angle maybe from above?:thumbsup:

skyeywei
11-28-2003, 04:28 AM
wow good work ! :applause:

fotoas
11-28-2003, 04:45 AM
yeach !! good.. good !! You know :)

i have quest,,.. about curtain
did you paint this translucency, ?? if not, can you explain some
about this ??

take care
fotoas

fotoas
11-28-2003, 04:47 AM
good !! you know !!

but.. did you paint this translucency ??

fotoas

Infernal
11-28-2003, 05:43 AM
Everything is wrapped up in one word, Awsome!!

keep it up :applause:

Raphael-Lacoste
11-28-2003, 06:19 AM
thanks guys,

i'm happy to see all this replys, by the way, i'm quite drunk after the party of prince of persia! i'll have a long night and answer to all of the questions!
have a good night

cheers,

robin
11-28-2003, 06:21 AM
Dont take a look at his web site, you wont ever load 3dsmax ever again :surprised

Raphael-Lacoste
11-28-2003, 06:24 AM
asti de ciboire de calice de sacrament! pascal you're giving my tips asti, you're right ... alors t'aurais bien fait de passer à la soirée asti de papy ... m'enfin, moué aussi le tour asti!! :)

danielkenobi
11-28-2003, 07:19 AM
Hi Your Image is reali good. You say you use photoshop, I am new on this so, can I ask you wat did you do with photoshop in your final rendered image?

Rivendale
11-28-2003, 07:22 AM
Very nice, I like the mood and the lighting! If I would have some critique it would be to work more on the specularity on the broken window pieces. Maybe they are supposed to be a bit dusty but anyway.

Btw- I'm going out to buy Prince of Persia any day now, seems like you guys did a very good job.:)

Libor
11-28-2003, 07:42 AM
1) Great artwork:applause:
2) If I would crit something it would be the lighting. The lighting setup is perfect but I think the ambient light is too strong so the picture has a bit low contrast.

Keep up the good work, man.

:beer:

kiaran
11-28-2003, 07:47 AM
A brilliant blend of technical and artist skill. I would love to see this animated.

Imagine a slow pull-in with nothing but the curtains fluttering lightly and a faint breeze whistling through the rocks....

I'm getting carried away. Nice work.

ShinChanPu
11-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Rafo..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is one of the most beautiful pictures I´ve ever seen in CGTALK.... maybe the best of the environments. The atmosphere, with that amazing lighting, the fog... the volumetric light, the materials.... everything is near to be perfect.

The only thing I would change is the aa filtering... maybe slightly more blurred would be better to improve the depth of the shot. Catmull Rom is fine but this is not the best case to use it, IMO.

Keep on posting like this, man. :buttrock:

vudu
11-28-2003, 08:39 AM
I'm very confused to put my spoon of tar into the big barrel of honey replies but... if we disengage ourselves from the technical part of this image (the way it modeled, textured etc.) it will be fair to say that it is architecturally illitirate:

a) lack of some exact architecture style. it looks like gothic but not gothic actually (capitels, windows). may be it was not supposed to be so I don't emphasize this point

b) lack of understanding of how the colored windows were being made back in the days (lead frames and separate coloured pieces).

c) "falling" perspective. usually we see vertical line as vertical lines not falling to the center. 2-point perspective would be better here IMHO.

d) the last and the important note is that the building actually just WON'T stand with this broken column... believe me it won't ;)

once again, technically is great but as i said above ;)...

P.S. Raphel could draw an ideal circle by hand but it was a demonstration of skills, not a piece of art.

Artician
11-28-2003, 09:05 AM
El Rafo, a bit off topic but, just congrats on your latest release. So many shoddy games now-a-days. You guys completely revitalized that franchise. Completely amazing and quality experience all around.

Good work to you and all those that developed the title. You guys should be really proud of yourselves. ;)

opendesigner
11-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Really really Impressive work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING

Keep it up!!

:applause: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

open

ShinChanPu
11-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by vudu

a) lack of some exact architecture style. it looks like gothic but not gothic actually (capitels, windows). may be it was not supposed to be so I don't emphasize this point

b) lack of understanding of how the colored windows were being made back in the days (lead frames and separate coloured pieces).

c) "falling" perspective. usually we see vertical line as vertical lines not falling to the center. 2-point perspective would be better here IMHO.

d) the last and the important note is that the building actually just WON'T stand with this broken column... believe me it won't ;)

a)Why this building has to be gothic or any existing architecture style?

b)Why you can´t conceive that the coloured glass of the windows needn´t be stained glass windows?

c)2- point perspective??? When or where do you live? If you knew perspective and optical principles in depth you´d never say that...

d)You may be right about the broken column (I´m not architect like you...).But, may the miracles go in your mind at least in fantasy tales?

The-Buzz
11-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Great modeling, great light, great ambience, what gives a very beautiful pictures, and that becomes a abitude in all your environement scenes :buttrock:

You are an reference for me :bowdown:

http://www.cgtalk.com/images/cgtalk/5stars.gif for you!

Good continuation :D

Nuro
11-28-2003, 09:50 AM
very Good Job , I like that , :bounce: :thumbsup:

( les textures , la modelisation, l ambiance, et la compo. Tout est bon à regarder, ton travail est remarquable :applause:

sorry mais je ne suis pas encore assez alaise pour esprimer tout cela en anglais :blush:

vudu
11-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Shin Chan Pu
a)Why this building has to be gothic or any existing architecture style?

b)Why you can´t conceive that the coloured glass of the windows needn´t be stained glass windows?

c)2- point perspective??? When or where do you live? If you knew perspective and optical principles in depth you´d never say that...

d)You may be right about the broken column (I´m not architect like you...).But, may the miracles go in your mind at least in fantasy tales?

a) I'm not saying that is HAS to represent an existing style but this structure is obviously gothic based... so, to my mind if the idea was to make a non-existing style BASED on gothic there could be some development of the style (LOTR movies are well-known examples of such development)... but here I see only a simplification of gothic principles. it is El Rafo's right to do like that but I consider it doubtful.

b) well may be those are transparent plastic application on the glass. I don't know if they do solid multi-colored glass these days. do you?

c) if there are any buildings behind your window try looking at them with your eyes raised a little above the horizon line. do you see walls narrowing to the center. I don't... I'm trying to say that 3-point perspective is usless with this angle of view (to the horizon). It just ruins the impression. IMHO this is a tradional cg artists' mistake because I have not seen a single traditional artist drawing like that.

d) let it be so... nevertheless a doubtful moment ;) heh-heh... i never give up :)

vudu
11-28-2003, 10:07 AM
...and oh, BTW... another nasty question of mine:

What are the curtains for? I mean why for instance there are curtains on one side and none of the (even torn) on the other or how do the curtains relate to the temple-LIKE environment like that?

peace ;)

Kel Solaar
11-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Excellent Atmosphere and lightning. Great job!

cuse
11-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by vudu
d) let it be so... nevertheless a doubtful moment ;) heh-heh... i never give up :) [/B]

Hey vudu, maybe the building is on its last legs so to speak... How do we know its not about to tumble down?

The thing that gets me are the giant curtains. What up with those, theyre huge, is that realistic cause they would be a) as expensive as hell and b) incredibly hard to manufactur, maybe not im not sure, but what is there purpose? Its not to keep light out theyre practically transparent?

Sorry they just ruin the image for me, think its a great scene though. Congrats.

cuse

elnady
11-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Very Nice :buttrock:

DUCKORABB
11-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi

I don't know, but your earlier art (this pic which you put on your avatar) is very better than this. I think this is guilt of color?

Regards

DKRBB

Annuostivix
11-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Yet more striking were the dancers: thin young women, diaphanous short skirts showing their legs, their heads crowned with iridescent feathers twitching in time to the music.

Now I know what the word means :D

Hey guys, isn't this supposed to be fantasy work? Or similar to? Anything can happen in a fantasy world I guess. It's a magical building so even though the column was destroyed, it can still stand. Something like that, hehe.

Yeah those are some big curtains. But I really like the image, it deserved front page in my opinion.

fabriciomicheli
11-28-2003, 12:38 PM
I can't see anything :cry:

Wonderer
11-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Great work! I loved the lighting youve used:thumbsup:

Genko3D
11-28-2003, 02:16 PM
yeah but where's the pic?

Raphael-Lacoste
11-28-2003, 04:00 PM
hello there!

Artician: thanks man, we really worked hard but the game is great :)

vudu: what are you trying to justify ? when I was in fine art school, it was like that: do the less as you can but speak a lot, that is the reason why I switched to animation: you don't justify fancy and that's the reason why I love fancy :)

Genko3D : I think that's back :)

thanks a lot guys

pascal_blanche
11-29-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by El Rafo
thanks guys,

i'm happy to see all this replys, by the way, i'm quite drunk after the party of prince of persia! i'll have a long night and answer to all of the questions!
have a good night

cheers,

I was here my friend, bt it looks like that you where too busy taking pictures of our nice hostess... hehehe

ceql
11-29-2003, 03:56 AM
Great work as usual, very good atmosphere :D :applause: Can't wait to checkout the new Prince of Persia :bounce:

F. Hultqvist
11-29-2003, 04:03 AM
I agree about the previous comment on the curtains, they kind of loose their beauty because of their extreme sharpness. It would certainly look alot better if the curtains were softer and maybe had a little glow on them.

Otherwise, everything else looks fantastic. Congrats on finishing your Prince of Persia Title, it's about time someone put a descent action game in this style on the market. I am tired of playing Tomb Raider;)

darnel25
11-29-2003, 04:18 AM
I really like this image. nice work.

ionanism
11-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Great work…
It reminds me allot of some of the art by Casper David Freidrich. His dark and eerie scenes of run down churches… very cool…
What I think it needs is a person dressed all in black… you know… for creepiness and for scale. But it works perfectly fine without a person.

Very nice work.

WJT
11-29-2003, 07:45 AM
:bounce:
nice work,i like it.
but l think that the window curtain is not better.

AJE
11-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Ok,

I'll back up the image (because I like it) with this:

-The curtains are only on one side because the morning sun makes it too warm throughout the day, while the evening sun is let to stream in to keep it warm through the evening and night.

-The glass isn't stained glass, it's painted glass.

-The building would stand without the centre post because there is a beam running the length of the wall on top of the remaining posts to support the roof.

-The building styles (Gothic and what-not) looks fantastic to the average viewer. Features from a specific time/style don't need to be accurate because this is ART.

The only thing that pulls me out of the image is the textures on the inner portions of the broken pillar pieces(just the parts on the ground).

As a whole, I liked your last piece for mood, although IMHO, this comes in as a very close second.

Nicely done.

NelsonInomvan
11-29-2003, 08:38 AM
that's a very good work. Don't know why but this reminds me one of the castles from Warcraft 3 movies.

What is the size of this.. i mean if you put a human looking creature in this scene ?

Frenkie
11-29-2003, 08:44 AM
really really great image!
and with scanline render??
bless you man:)

Dreamwave
11-29-2003, 11:06 AM
wow really great!! blizzard style! :thumbsup:

Zanmato
11-29-2003, 01:03 PM
That's a great image. Nice work.

milkyman
11-29-2003, 02:15 PM
very good work. rather depressing? :P. that time of year?

Blk Bishop
11-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Way to Go I love it.:bowdown: :thumbsup:

toce
11-29-2003, 02:45 PM
nice one! :thumbsup:

peanut
11-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Ciboire, this is hella good !

REZI-st
11-29-2003, 04:27 PM
NICE atmosphere, very real & good idea ;)

boboroshi
11-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Looking good stylistically, but technically, there are some problems:

1. architecture :: I agree with Vudu, it lacks a direct architectural style, however, it looks similar to your last rendering's style and reminds me of a variety of Arabic architecture.

2. the column is key to the structural integrity of the building. If that would go down, the roof in that area would have fallen in. Columns will usually stay up longer than walls as they are solid stone, and walls are usually assembled of blocks.

I'd also work on the way the stone breaks in said columns, it looks a little too perfect for teh way stone generally fissures and breaks.

3. If there are curtains of some kind on the left of the hall being affected by some kind of breeze, why do these not exist, not even in a possibility of the item used to hang them on the left?

All in all, this is a great shot. Just trying to point out some things you can rock out.

SketchPad
11-29-2003, 05:08 PM
As the others, I really do like your image, that's why I think you should go the "extra" distance with this piece.

1) The stones are way too sharp in places, soften them up a bit as your excellent texturing shows wear-and-tear over many years.

2) I'd go with some light effects on the curtain as suggested by other users in this thread.

3) The texture on the "stepping-stones/stairs" are off, try to match the rest of the image.

4) The glass looks paper thin, in those days - glass-mosaic's where WAY thicker. Making them a bit thicker will also help
the "realism" in this beautiful work of art that you've made.

5) The protruding stones around the "mosaic-windows" look too poly-jagged on top, they'd round them off in "real-life" even
if they just used square stones.

Other than that...I really like your work.

Cheers,
/SketchPad

capblood
11-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Why not try to soften the shadows?

Anyway, great work.:thumbsup:

tuba3d
11-30-2003, 12:45 AM
:drool:

Very nice!!!

Excelente atmosphere!!!

Great job man! :thumbsup:

facial
11-30-2003, 02:41 AM
o man, you did it again, it is so good too.
excellent work. :thumbsup:

huseyinoz
11-30-2003, 09:57 AM
excellent work!

only soft shadows and corner of models is missing but still this image i have seen best until now.:thumbsup:

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
11-30-2003, 03:59 PM
wow! amazing work man. well done! :bounce:

random.hero
11-30-2003, 06:21 PM
woah, thats really nice :drool:. the only thing i dont like is the colour of the brick, where the parts have broken off. it doesn't look like its the same type of brick, its too dark. other than that, its really really nice :buttrock:.

Rey
11-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Excellent work! The colors and lighting are perfect. Hope to see more from you soon.

l3d_davi
11-30-2003, 10:40 PM
wow cool realy good atmosphere great shader
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Raphael-Lacoste
12-01-2003, 12:22 AM
thanks a lot for all these comments :beer:
regarding the shadows: you're right but as I said I'm not sure with my scanline render I can do Area lights as I can in softimage to soften the shadow with distance... but, Lets try blurry shadowmap :)
Yeah, the curtain can be more translusent etc... If I have time I'll F*** some flys on this one ...

Cheers! and I hope that i'll see it on CG networks :scream:

Raphael-Lacoste
12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by l3d_davi
wow cool realy good atmosphere great shader

no shaders man :arteest: no shaders! ;)

Lalie
12-07-2003, 01:38 PM
asti de ciboire de calice de sacrament! pascal you're giving my tips asti, you're right ... alors t'aurais bien fait de passer à la soirée asti de papy ... m'enfin, moué aussi le tour asti!!:)

Hehe c'est tres vilain de sacrer ! :curious:

Magnifique chef, comme toujours... ;)

DoLeeP
12-07-2003, 03:52 PM
:drool:
Just :thumbsup: wow
Great work

Raphael-Lacoste
12-08-2003, 05:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lalie
Hehe c'est tres vilain de sacrer ! :curious:

Magnifique chef, comme toujours... ;) [/QUOTE

oups !:surprised

et bravo pour le concours au fait esti! :thumbsup:

FootFace
12-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Absolutely breathtaking...

Mefisto
01-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I like medieval architecture. This work is fantastic!!! :applause: :applause:

Leon.S.Ken
11-29-2005, 06:52 AM
Yeah ,I like it. you modeling very nice ! And your hue is very nice! The work let me else place, I have some your work!
You are very fineness animator !I believe you will succeed!
I will for it 5 stars!
Go on!

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2005, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.