PDA

View Full Version : Dongle thru USB-Serial Mini Hub

JDex
11-27-2003, 01:42 AM
I have this great new laptop and would love to be able to pack up my dongle and project folder to work w/ XSI on the road... the Laptop has no serial, only usb. I bought a Mini Hub that w/ Serial Connector (not just a convertor it actually utilizes a COM port) but the software just refuses to recognize it. I have run through all the option combinations in the hub's software and have had no luck... Does anyone know what might be causing this or maybe point me in the right direction.

stephen2002
11-27-2003, 03:16 AM
You might want to contact your distributer and see if they can get you a USB dongle.

What is the number of the COM port? There are only 2 physical COM ports on your system, while windows usually reports 4 of them (1-4) only 2 can be active at any one time. Try disabling on-board components like modems to prevent conflicts and assigning the COM port of your adapter to a number 1-4.

Just a thought; is the dongle showing up at all in your device manger?

JDex
11-27-2003, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the response...

The serial is assigned to COM2. The hub has two options as to how the COM is assigned, Dynamic & Geographic... I have tried both, but according to the manual, I should assign it Geographically, this forces Windows to see it as a physical COM.

The Serial Port does appear as COM2 in the device manager, but the dongle doesn't show (but come to think of it, it doesn't show on my desktop either, and it works there).

There are no other external devices attached, so there should be no conflict of this type.

Apparently Softimage does not make USB dongles available to the general public, only to resellers methinks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.