PDA

View Full Version : Night lighting

bonestructure
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm working on a portfolio piece at the moment, and in the middle of it got an idea for a second, version I'd like to do with some differences. I'm using Max 9 and Vray.

The background is simple. A graveyard type scene with the moon shining through the tree. But I want the main objects in the foreground to show clearly and without discoloration. I say discoloration because up til now, to emulate night, I would just tint my lights Alice blue, as in movie set lighting. But that would discolor the objects I want to be seen clearly, so the problem, for me is how to set up lights to accomplish what I want. Is it still 3 point lighting? Any tint coming from the background light ala the moon? If the blue creates rim lighting, that's okay. But I have to have the foreground clear.

Lighting is a weak point for me at the best of times. I struggle with it. Night lighting is even harder. And I haven't seen any lighting tutorials that deal with night lighting, so I'm hoping I can find a few ideas from the folks here.

Thanks ahead of time.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.