PDA

View Full Version : International Student needs college advice

beat25
06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi

I need some advice from you guys concerning my future college plans. My name is Beat and I come from Switzerland. I'd like to study in the US because we have no good 3D courses in Switzerland yet so I have to study abroad. I prefer the US to Germany or France so I went through all the Colleges and Universities I could find.

I suppose some of you will think: Why don't you do online courses instead of spending those huge amounts of money.
Well that's because I think nonetheless it's always good to have at least some kind of graduate, I can make a whole lot of new friends and connections (which I need for getting a job) and I can finally make some experiences in living in the US.

What I want to learn:
I really need some basic drawing skills. This means anatomy, figure drawing, sketching and so on.
I also would like to learn some general cg stuff such as lighting, animation, rendering.
But the most important part for me is the specialization in modeling, sculpting and texturing.
(I already know, that animation is not going to be the thing I want to do...)

So the Gnomon School would be exactly what I want:
1 year: all the fine arts stuff
2, 3 year: specialization in modeling
but: I can't get a visa for the first year! and i don't think if those 2 years are enough for me?

Other schools I've looked at:
Cogswell College: Last year their student work looked not so good, this years is at least better...
Ringling College: Am I wrong or is this school all about animation and not the right thing for me?
Fullsail College: I've read so many bad things about this school and its only about 2.5 years.
SCAD: Looks good, heard it's a "safe college", has no student work.
AAU: Heard it's a "safe college", has no student work.
CCA: ...

Now you know a little bit about my situation. Do you have any advice, any experiences for me?

You can have a look at my work here: http://beatreichenbach.ch (I think, I'll get rid of the blog later...)

Thank you so much! I would be happy for any advice! (which school is best for me or whatever...)

Beat

beat25
07-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I really hate to do that, but I'm sure there someone out there who actually can give me some advice. Are all those schools just about animation?

Sorry for this bump...

fig
07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't have any experience with those particular schools, but I'd suggest using the search function. There's some loooong threads on a lot of those programs and you can probably find a lot of the info you're looking for.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.