PDA

View Full Version : character: sci fi girlee

cattiwompus
11-26-2003, 07:44 PM
I modeled her quite a few months ago. I haven't had anytime to work on the skin, maybe at most an hour a week. It's been a few weeks since I even touched her, but hopefully soon I can get going on her again. I still have to touch up some colors, and contrast, do the collar, shoulder pads, redo the gloves and add some things to her face, and finish her mask and hair and stuff. I'd like some critiques before I get back to it.

http://www.flabbergasp.com/michaeltarwater/1.jpg
http://www.flabbergasp.com/michaeltarwater/2.jpg
http://www.flabbergasp.com/michaeltarwater/3.jpg

rikimountain
11-26-2003, 08:34 PM
wooowww.. very clean textures! adore her!
what will she be for?

Jonny Bubonic
11-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Very nice, but like you said, the contrast needs a bit of work, mostly in adding a bit more depth to the shadows IMO. Please post the texture sheet as well, when you're happy with it. Love the boots :)

dudeguy
11-26-2003, 09:10 PM
wow.

that's literally what I said when I clicked on this thread.

I was watching your wip of this sometime back and was waiting to see a textured version, definitely worth the wait, no disappointments here.

The textures on the body and face are very clean and tight, great work on the detail and I love the color scheme.

No real crits at this point, fantastic job!

Cheers

RicoChet
11-26-2003, 09:11 PM
I like the proportions of her body and face, good work!! :)

ironikart
11-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Very nice! Only thing I could crit would be the strand of hair doesn't blend in to well with the rest of her hair. Awesome job on the lips!

I'd love to see some wires on her *please*

cattiwompus
11-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone. You're right about the hair. It's separated in the unwrap from the rest of the hair and I haven't gotten to it yet :).

A friend supplies me with the web space so I can't upload anything new today, but here is a wire frame I posted in my old wip thread. I've only very slightly altered the mesh since this pic was made.

http://www.eeye.us/forum/uploads/post-11-1057099177.jpg

proudclod
11-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Doctor Freeman, the female version :D awsome work man, i love it

SecretAgent
11-26-2003, 10:54 PM
This is excellent! I love the vibrant bright colours and the face has a very nice painterly feel to it, nice job. Only things to work on are the shadows and I felt that the fingers look just a tad short but, that might be from the perspective angle. Anyways, this is great.

animalsp
11-26-2003, 10:59 PM
nice work!! love it!!
only problem i got is the hands, those fingers seems little bit short comparing with the arms.

Prs-Phil
11-26-2003, 11:01 PM
sweet, ... how much does she way ?

I love the texture like the others said, some more depth to the face would to her good but still really good job :)

cattiwompus
11-26-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanks!
She's 3597 tris in total.

Artician
11-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Looks, fantabulous.

There is a noticable seam down the middle of the back of her hair, though. If she were a player avatar it would be an issue. Otherwise good work.

darkefire
11-27-2003, 02:34 AM
beautiful work. im floored by how crisp she looks. the only thing that knocked me back to the floor was the nose in the close up pic. maybe its a really bad angle, and maybe its just a personal preference, but i would maybe make the nose a touch thinner. maybe add a slight curve to it.

Fury
11-27-2003, 02:48 AM
real nice work. model looks great. love the shoes. the mouth is terrific. I like how you made it open a little. (must steal that idea some day ;)) The textures on the body are coming out great too. nice weathering on the body suit.

as for crits, maybe it's just me, but i think her arms might be a bit too skinny...they looked thicker in the model renders. but now seeing the texture that's on them, it seem it should be a little beefier. not much mind you, just a tad :)

the texture on her hair (around the mask) is really well rendered, but please tell me you're gonna use an alpha on there, so it doesn't come to such an abrupt end in the back. same with the strands on the sides of her head :)

two other little (trivial) things, her fingers seem a bit stubby. just extend them a wee little bit :). and the only other thing is her nose. just a little too..big. i imagine she's the type of girl that would get a nose job ;) from the profile, i'd just pull the verts in a little on it. feel free to ignore :)

great work tho, I love her proportions. top notch. i can't wait to see it finished.

bustasnipe
11-29-2003, 01:26 PM
wow.. love that orange leather suit. did you come up with that suit design without reference? .. she looks like that chick off freinds... thats an awsome model

Quizboy
11-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Yes, she certainly does look like Lisa "Big Bosom" Kudrow in the face doesn't she?

Anyway I'm using this guy's mesh as reference for my own first low-poly model. I hope it's a good one...i mean, technically speaking.

twindragon
11-30-2003, 12:22 AM
This is a sweet model...The face looks very much like a j scott campbell drawing...especially the eyes.

TwoFaced
12-01-2003, 03:39 AM
I don't suppose you'd let anyone toy with your meshes would you? I'm a pretty experienced player skinner and this is a truly BEUTIFUL model. And I just couldn't resist the temptation to ask to try my hand at it! If not, I totally understand. It's still a great model though!

h0pesfall
12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Looks awesome. I'd put just a tiny bit more contrast in the textures tho. Keep up the good work.

EVIL
12-01-2003, 06:59 PM
I think it need a bit more contrast. I dont know what the lighting in the game will do with the model, but it needs a bit more darker shadows.

BoBo-the-seal
12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
I've already given you my thoughts in email but just wanted to echo great job with this! I'm looking forward to future work from you!

- BoBo

cattiwompus
12-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone! Great crits.
The hair was the last thing that I worked on and the next thing I'll pick up on when I get back to working on her, and I'll finally address that seam.
You're right about the nose. I'm not happy at all with it, because at certain angles it really blows, no pun intended. I never noticed the stubbiness of the fingers, but thanks, I do now and I'll fix that. :) Also her arms are real skinny at that particular angle and I'll fix that as well. Thanks.
It's funny you guys mention Lisa Kudrow. I'm a huge Friends fan, and when I started on the hair, I thought she looked familiar. I first started doing the hair white, but changed it to blonde and then realized that she was starting to look like Phoebe. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed.
Also I realize right now that the contrast is the biggest problem and I plan on fixing that when I'm almost finished with the whole skin, that way I can look at the whole thing at once and decide what would look best. :) Thanks again everyone!

I'll try to post some more shots later, when I can get my friend to host the images for me.

goertzen_frank
12-03-2003, 05:03 AM
lips!

cattiwompus
12-03-2003, 06:46 PM
Here's a shot of her boots, and a side view and stuff, blah blah. :)

Her calves area is not finished, and I think I might completely change it. There are still a few things that I wanna do to the boots.

http://www.flabbergasp.com/michaeltarwater/up.jpg
http://www.flabbergasp.com/michaeltarwater/boots.jpg

blc318
12-04-2003, 01:38 AM
wow Mike... the texture looks great. I havent heard from ya in awhile but Im glad your doing some 3d stuff again. Still concepting im sure? The boots are my favortie thing on the model. What size is the map?

Where are you working now?

mindrot
12-06-2003, 08:53 PM
WOW.... this is such wondeful work. I love the texture quality (any chance of seeing your texture sheets? And here outfit is really quite unique.

Can't wait to see more of your work.

L8R

Matt
12-06-2003, 11:47 PM
I'd only change one thing...

On the texture, around her nostrils, I would fade the line on top of the nostrils. I'd also lighten the ears up a little bit, and fade out the line around her mouth. Where her hair meets in front of her ears isn't the same color. Everything else looks perfect. The model is very good. Her boots remind me of stuff from Quake 3 Arena. :) Here's an example of the texture corrections that I'm suggesting. Hope you don't mind:

http://members.cox.net/omnipressive/scifigirl.jpg

cattiwompus
12-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Here's the flat map.

Matt - I'll check into the ear lightening and see how that looks when I'm able to work on her again. The nose is real wierd and I'm not happy with it, I'll play with it some more. I've been contemplating taking out that crease in her mouth, and I just may. The strand of her hair is unwrapped separately and I haven't textured it yet, which is why it is the wrong color. Thanks for the good crits! :thumbsup:

http://www.flabbergasp.com/michaeltarwater/flat.jpg

Frank Dodd
12-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Excellent work on this model, great detail in both the geometry and the textures. The design for the clothing although familiar still has its own great flavour. I didn't see the poly count on this object, what is it?

Xaint
12-16-2003, 07:38 PM
You could mirror the left eyes' uv on top of the right eye. Is there a reason why you did it separately?

Nice chick, nice quality art!

Nahaz
12-16-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm inspired, thanks :)

nattnewman
12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Nice work, nice mesh, and the textures are looking nice too.

As you mentioned, just some contrast issues to work on, but yep, she's looking nice.

For some reason I always like stuff looking dirty, and showing their age. Is that slinky number shes wearing newly bought? Just a suggestion :)

Hope you find a few hours to sort the little things out: would really be a shame to have such a nice looking piece unfinished.

Cheers,

Nathan.

EDIT: Looked at the last posts of this thread...looking better.

Skin tones could perhaps be tweaked a little? Hair is looking immaculate.

This IS my inspiration for today, thanks. I'm going to get back to work now :)

yinako
12-17-2003, 01:10 PM
concept looks like Lulu.

Anyway still good work, and whats the others guys problem with the nose? IMO thats best part of model, shows good curves(nose/lip) from lower angle.

phrosty
12-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey nothing much to add other than she is very nicely done, the textures and layout all tie up very sweet and tight.

The boots are stupendous and the behind is so perfect!

Naseem
12-19-2003, 03:23 PM
lol she looks exactly like febe from the show friends

Poopinmymouth
12-19-2003, 03:46 PM
my first thought when I clicked this model was, "this belongs on the front page" Looks really great man, great handling of the textures.

The hair still doesnt look as nice as the rest of the texture. I think you may have made the inidivual strands too defined, it makes it look a bit like yarn. The shading on the face is nice, but it has too much green in it. It is flattening an otherwise great texture. Try reddening it up some more to get the luminous quality of skin. The orange leather is my favoratepart by far, reminds me a bit of rikku from FFX. Looks awesome man!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.