PDA

View Full Version : Character: Feya of the Wind

michu
11-26-2003, 05:34 PM
http://firechrom.com/michu/feya.jpg

I took an old sketch of a character and painted in Photoshop from scratch during the weekend. She's from a tribe on the windy grass plain. A chief's daughter, Feya is the summoner of the element Air.

Welcome any C&C :)

Goro
11-26-2003, 05:52 PM
red cross

can't see anything

holypudding
11-26-2003, 06:02 PM
I like the smoothness of this pic :)

michu
11-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Goro
red cross

can't see anything

Hmmm should be there...
try this (http://firechrom.com/michu/feya.jpg)

spm
11-26-2003, 08:41 PM
looks and feels like traditional pixel art to me. in what resolution did you paint?

eYadNesS
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Nice, she is so cute :)

Maybe you are missing some colors...

Garma
11-26-2003, 09:07 PM
beautiful. Lovely colors.

sweet :thumbsup:

michu
11-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by spm
looks and feels like traditional pixel art to me. in what resolution did you paint?

That's a very interesting comment. :hmm: I suck at pixel art and didn't intent to make this picture look like one though. Do you mean pixel art like those in pixelation.swoo.net?

The canvas that I work on was 1600 x 1200 px, then I scaled it down to 640 px wide and trimed a bit to output for web.

fturtle
11-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Excellent work! :thumbsup: Great character design -- I was wondering: did you think of the 'story' behind the character before or after the initial design concept? It looks so fitting to what you described. Perhaps conjuring some background information before any visual stuff helps. But then again, I don't know what order you did it in.

:buttrock:

vanilla shotgun
11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Looks cool, retro. I donīt know if you did this intentionally, but the image have got some really nice subdued, turquoise colour tones that really creates this sort of calm inside... (lol... sentimental) :rolleyes:

//Vanilla Shot

Bimo
11-26-2003, 09:28 PM
hemmm she's pretty, I like the smoothness of it, her right side hair, its seems quite flat. Her left eye itsss aaa little bitttt small, you might wanna enlarge it a bit, "just a little bit"
I don’t really like the background though but overall its a nice piece of art
:applause: :thumbsup:

michu
11-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by eYadNesS
Nice, she is so cute :)

Maybe you are missing some colors...

Disaturated color scheme is not my usual choice either. I tried it anyway on this piece to see what would come out. I personally think it's a bit dark, but others seem to be fine with it. A good experiment for me :)

michu
11-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by vanilla shotgun
Looks cool, retro. I donīt know if you did this intentionally, but the image have got some really nice subdued, turquoise colour tones that really creates this sort of calm inside... (lol... sentimental) :rolleyes:

//Vanilla Shot

The color scheme for this character is indeed turquoise, and while I painted I try to match the color overall to her headdress, so it os kinda intentional... the calming effect was an extra result though;)

michu
11-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bimo
hemmm she's pretty, I like the smoothness of it, her right side hair, its seems quite flat. Her left eye itsss aaa little bitttt small, you might wanna enlarge it a bit, "just a little bit"
I don’t really like the background though but overall its a nice piece of art
:applause: :thumbsup:

Aye, the treatment for the hair on the far side and the background is indeed slappy:blush:

As for the eye, I used a liiiiitle bit of farshortening in both width and height for perspective pupose; perhaps I shoudn't have done that much for the height since it's not that far.

xfedx
11-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Don't know if you are into comix but there is one out there right now that kind of reminds me of your style it's call 1602 by neil gaiman, andy kubert, and richard isanove. Isanove is the one doing all the colors so it's his stuff that you would probably be most interested in. Thanx for the great drawing and keep up the great work.

fturtle
11-26-2003, 09:52 PM
I don't mind the background at all, it brings attention to the character. Perhaps some seeds with the floaty things attached (dandelions?) in the air would add a nice touch. I was thinking, maybe the "loop" design at the bottom of the visible part of her tunic gets a little bright toward the light in comparison with the design above it.

michu
11-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by xfedx
Don't know if you are into comix but there is one out there right now that kind of reminds me of your style it's call 1602 by neil gaiman, andy kubert, and richard isanove. Isanove is the one doing all the colors so it's his stuff that you would probably be most interested in. Thanx for the great drawing and keep up the great work.

Thanks for the info. I am currently in London and Neil Gaiman's 1602 seems to be out of stock at Amazon.co.uk. I'll definetly check out the Forbidden Planet during the weekend for this comix though... or anyone here know any good place for comics in London?

John Keates
11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Nice colours and composition. One thing that I noticed is that the peacock feather is a little dark (particularly when you compare it to the shadow around her face. I think that it offsets the composition a little. I tried putting the picture into photoshop and fading the feather into the background and I think that it worked well. Just my opinion.

jadedchron
11-26-2003, 10:10 PM
seems alright

PhilOsirus
11-26-2003, 10:38 PM
It is very nice and original clothing-wise. I'd like to see a complete drawing from head to toe. Keep it up!

redkid one
11-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by John Keates
Nice colours and composition. One thing that I noticed is that the peacock feather is a little dark (particularly when you compare it to the shadow around her face. I think that it offsets the composition a little.

Yeh, I agree - though maybe instead of fading it, you could work up the highlights like you've got them in the other feather and in the hair. Then you'd be strengthening the nice chiaroscuro composition you've got going.

Otherwise, that's the shiznitz... :buttrock:

Goro
11-27-2003, 01:12 AM
now I can see it! Wow this is nice! I like the mood. It's
very emotional. I don't know why!
Congrats! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

CG.p
11-27-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by michu
Hmmm should be there...
try this (http://firechrom.com/michu/feya.jpg)

I get to the bottom of the little green feathers on the top. After that the image fails to load.

JeT
11-27-2003, 06:38 AM
Nice image :) (i can see the whole thing) looks good! any chance of a larger image? i like it!

The seperation between the grass stuff and the figure seems a bit too much (theres too much atmosphere between them, make the girl a bit clearer and less blue) just the tinyest adjustment would do it i reckon.

Nice job :D

olijosman
11-27-2003, 06:53 AM
lovely!!. I like the color use ,very smooth!!:thumbsup:

dwin
11-27-2003, 07:13 AM
It's very nice!!:thumbsup: I like it...

gtidhar
11-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Feya in hebrew means fairy.

I guess she does have a sense of a fairy.

Very good work!

:thumbsup:

Franz
11-27-2003, 07:44 AM
very nice. interesting style. not too realistic but still very defined.

rrobert
11-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Very nice pic. Good calm ambience created! (uhmm, my goodness, is that good english??)
Anyway: :thumbsup:

spm
11-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by michu
That's a very interesting comment. :hmm: I suck at pixel art and didn't intent to make this picture look like one though. Do you mean pixel art like those in pixelation.swoo.net?

The canvas that I work on was 1600 x 1200 px, then I scaled it down to 640 px wide and trimed a bit to output for web.

it feels like a pic from the good old amiga-days when ppl did their work in deluxe paint :)

cuse
11-27-2003, 10:00 AM
very soft colours, great work... do you still have the 1600 version though? It would be nice to see more detail on a close up.

What are you in London for, work?
Good story to her as well...

cuse

supernaps
11-27-2003, 10:05 AM
this is superb~

great composition and colour scheme. i'm really impressed at how neat and clean everything is. Could you maybe post the higher res version of this artwork and explain a little abit about what process you used to create it?

^___^ peace

GFX-Arts
11-27-2003, 10:09 AM
really great work :) :thumbsup:

michu
11-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks all for the comment and suggestion. I'll definitely try to improve the foreground and background this weekend.

To post the high-rez version of this pic would be quite embarrassing, since this is a casual work and I didn't really refine it to the last pixel. Well, here we go:High-rez 1600x1200px, 257kb (http://firechrom.com/michu/feya_1600.jpg)

It looks different. Realising that the composition wouldn't work, I resized the grass in the last minute.

The method I used is very basic, just sketched on one layer using a purplish mute brown, and then start painting the color on other layers above. I started with just a hard-edged big brush to paintin blocks of colours separating light and shadow. Then with both feathered and hard brush depending on form/cast shadow ( make use of the hotkey "shift+{" and "shift+}" to speed up the process), I gradually defined/correct the form. The contrast was low at first, and I added stronger shadow and brighter highlight as I progress. It's the same method I use for charcal drawing.

As for the light blue feather, I only drew one. Then I copied several feathers into different layers, and used the "distore -> sheer" filter for individual clone. I used free-transform to assemble them, and used dodge/burn accordingly. I also use the sheer filter for the "hairy" part of the grass. It caused bad pixelation though.

For the peacock feather, I just draw it straight away with a hard-eadged brush with "shape-dynamics" and "other dynamics" turned on. I maked the grass blade in the same way.

I'll post some wip screen shots once I get home.

michu
11-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by cuse

What are you in London for, work?

Aye, for a mobile phone game company.

But because I really can't do pixel art well, I'm making hi-rez graphics for the marketing materials. Therefore it's really interesting to know that this piece actually looks like a pixel art ;)

Wonderer
11-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Great work, wonderfull colours and mood, I would try to fix the hairy grass though, the pixels jump in our eyes:thumbsup:

PiPS
11-27-2003, 12:31 PM
I like the colors... very nice !

zemotion
11-27-2003, 01:24 PM
great to see you around here. :D welcome welcome. ^^

still love this piece no matter how many times i see it. XD

autistk
11-27-2003, 02:25 PM
I barely ever post on here, but when I saw this I just had to. This is beautiful! I love the colours and the tone.

How did you go about selecting this particular colour scheme? Selections from a palette, or perhaps from reference material?

I've got the big version as my desktop ;)

LittleFenris
11-27-2003, 02:50 PM
I like the character and the painting style you have achieved, but I think the colors look washed out. I don't get that "soft look", I feel more like its way too washed out and bright. Other than that, great image.

ShinChanPu
11-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Cute and sweet girl...

What the feathers are made of? Why the wind does not affect them????????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cris castro
11-27-2003, 05:11 PM
very nice like pastel colors.

michu
11-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by autistk
I barely ever post on here, but when I saw this I just had to. This is beautiful! I love the colours and the tone.

How did you go about selecting this particular colour scheme? Selections from a palette, or perhaps from reference material?

I've got the big version as my desktop ;)

Glad you like it!

About the colour selection, I used a palette indeed.

http://firechrom.com/michu/feya_wip01.jpg

I just mixed the colours the same way I do with real oil paints. The palette is obtained by sampling the major colours in Monet's "Waterilly".:) This is a new technique for me, and I am glad I've some breakthrough result from this.

Stealth_Soul
11-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Nice work
Well done...

michu
11-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
I like the character and the painting style you have achieved, but I think the colors look washed out. I don't get that "soft look", I feel more like its way too washed out and bright. Other than that, great image.

That's one thing I was worried about. When I work on this piece at home, on my LCD monitor the image look really light, nearly washed out. But I had experience that whenever I color-adjust the image to what I think is right on this certain screen, it tends to be too dark on the non-LCD screen that I use at work, so i just leave it the way it was.

Colour is quite tricky when it comes to digial method. During the college years I wasted so much money on producing high-rez large formate prints with just not the colour I saw on the screen. I don't have these hardware colour calibration device, and so far I haven't developed the skill to see what is the true colours that I am painting on the screen. I think there's also no way to guarantee that every one's gonna perceive the same colours which I intended to use.

Well. I did a printout using the poorly calibrated colour-laser printer in my office. The colour do look really washed-out....:cry:

Peteleebe
11-27-2003, 11:35 PM
its nice, but only one thing that bothering me is that her eyes seems not on the same level

michu
11-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by leungkan
its nice, but only one thing that bothering me is that her eyes seems not on the same level

Thanks for point it out. I think the eye that's further away is a bit too small. Will fix it :)

phoenix
11-28-2003, 04:19 AM
nice work...

but little problem with the eyes... otherwise very impressive

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.