PDA

View Full Version : Shader Multiple Outputs from one channel?

chikega
11-26-2003, 05:22 PM
I was wondering whether a shader node could be plugged into muliple channels at one time. For instance, I've created a noise shader that I like and I would like to appropiate it to several channels - color, diffuse, bump. Is that possible?

It'd be OK to copy the shader node several times but the "Copy", "Cut", and "Paste" buttons in the Shader Flow window/block are grayed out - only the "Create" and "Delete" seem to be functional. Please advise. :)

fwtep
11-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by chikega
I was wondering whether a shader node could be plugged into muliple channels at one time. For instance, I've created a noise shader that I like and I would like to appropiate it to several channels - color, diffuse, bump. Is that possible?
Feel free to try it yourself and see! You're allowed to! :)

Anyway, yes, youc an do that. If I recall, that's in the Texturing Overview videos. If not, I know it's in the bottom animated gif on the Shader Flow page of the docs.

Fred

chikega
11-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by fwtep
Feel free to try it yourself and see! You're allowed to! :)

Anyway, yes, youc an do that. If I recall, that's in the Texturing Overview videos. If not, I know it's in the bottom animated gif on the Shader Flow page of the docs.

Fred

Thanks for the quick response, Fred. Well, I reviewed your videos and gave the Shader Flower area of the manual a good once over before I attempted this - I tried to shift/ctl/alt click/drag, copy, paste, etc... plus every permutation thereof - but, alas, my shoulders are slumped over and my head hangs low. Here's a doctored image of what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't know if you have Messiah in front of you ... but, I was wondering if you could give it a try.

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Shader_Flow.jpg

Also, note how the "Copy","Cut" and "Paste" buttons are grayed out - I can't seem to get those buggers to activate. I know certain parts of Messiah are being developed - is this one of them? Thanks, Fred. I really enjoy your videos - you've got a great sense of humor - I'm still smiling from that silly bell sound:)

lmilton
11-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Fred. Well, I reviewed your videos and gave the Shader Flower area of the manual a good once over before I attempted this - I tried to shift/ctl/alt click/drag, copy, paste, etc...

There's no magic to it. Click & Drag Color (from the Noise) and Drop on Bump (on the Material). Then Click & Drag on Color and Drop on Diffuse. Very direct.

Also, just to confuse you;), you can Click & Drag from any input to any output on any other shader... you're not limited to dragging outputs.

Let me know if it makes sense...

-lyle

fwtep
11-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Fred. Well, I reviewed your videos and gave the Shader Flower area of the manual a good once over before I attempted this - I tried to shift/ctl/alt click/drag, copy, paste, etc... plus every permutation thereof - but, alas, my shoulders are slumped over and my head hangs low. Here's a doctored image of what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't know if you have Messiah in front of you ... but, I was wondering if you could give it a try.

The animated gif shows how it's done-- just click and drag. You might not have watched the whole thing; it shows me attaching one output to more than one input.

Fred

chikega
11-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by lmilton
There's no magic to it. Click & Drag Color (from the Noise) and Drop on Bump (on the Material). Then Click & Drag on Color and Drop on Diffuse. Very direct.

Also, just to confuse you;), you can Click & Drag from any input to any output on any other shader... you're not limited to dragging outputs.

Let me know if it makes sense...

-lyle

Well ... that would be the obvious thing ... but Mr. Murphy would have it otherwise. Clicking & Dragging the second time just disconnects it. So, I can connect & disconnect. Hence, my little dance with other keys to see if it would prevent it from disconnecting and establish another connect ...

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Shader_Flow1a.jpg

So, what about the grayed-out Cut, Copy & Paste keys?

My head hangs even lower <----- the look of defeat

lmilton
11-26-2003, 07:20 PM
Well ... that would be the obvious thing ... but Mr. Murphy would have it otherwise. Clicking & Dragging the second time just disconnects it. So, I can connect & disconnect. Hence, my little dance with other keys to see if it would prevent it from disconnecting and establish another connect ...

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Shader_Flow1a.jpg

So, what about the grayed-out Cut, Copy & Paste keys?

My head hangs even lower <----- the look of defeat

Ummmm.... why are you dragging the connection? I said drag the Color not Material:Bump...

Just drag the *input* to the *output* not the existing *connections*. And don't try to make an existing connection again.

Let me know if this is clear...

-lyle

ps: Those Cut Copy & Paste buttons are inactive and don't apply to what you're trying to do, anyway.

chikega
11-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by fwtep
The animated gif shows how it's done-- just click and drag. You might not have watched the whole thing; it shows me attaching one output to more than one input.

Fred

Never mind, never mind ... I got it ... I got it... man, I feel like a doofball :blush: ... I was grabbing the Material and disconnecting that ...

well... alrighty then ... onwards and upwards

chikega
11-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Ummmm.... why are you dragging the connection? I said drag the Color not Material:Bump...

Just drag the *input* to the *output* not the existing *connections*. And don't try to make an existing connection again.

Let me know if this is clear...

-lyle

ps: Those Cut Copy & Paste buttons are inactive and don't apply to what you're trying to do, anyway.

Just read your post ... man, you respond pretty quick - that's what I call service with a smile:D

Don't lose hope ... I'll make you proud one day.

lmilton
11-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Never mind, never mind ... I got it ... I got it... man, I feel like a doofball :blush: ... I was grabbing the Material and disconnecting that ...

well... alrighty then ... onwards and upwards

LOL! :applause:

Don't sweat it, we all experience this from time to time;}) Hey, I spilled my drink today and felt myself reaching for the undo key :blush:

But just to confuse you a little more, you really *can* duplicate a connection by dragging it. You'd use the RMB:D However, don't get too used to it, that's going to change.

Anyway, post some samples when you get the chance:})

-lyle

maks
11-26-2003, 08:35 PM
[...] Hey, I spilled my drink today and felt myself reaching for the undo key :blush:

LOL! You just made me really laugh :scream:

M.

lmilton
11-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by maks
LOL! You just made me really laugh :scream:

M.

Yup, it's quite embarrassing.:blush: I really gotta get away from the computer more...

-lyle

fwtep
11-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Don't sweat it, we all experience this from time to time;}) Hey, I spilled my drink today and felt myself reaching for the undo key :blush:

Duh, just reload your drink from before you spilled! Do I have to explain EVERYTHING???

Fred

Sil3
11-26-2003, 09:15 PM
LOL :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.