PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed // Cpu Oc & buy Ram And Ssd?

dangomes
06-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi,

i'm thinking of trying to improve my computer a bit. I mainly use it for Adobe programs and C4D.
I have now a I7 950 at stock (3,06ghz), asus p6t se, 6 gig ram in triple channel (3x2), gtx 460. At work have one similar pc but with 12gig ram, and i feel the ram difference from one to another when working in AE or multitasking.
I want to spend the minimum possible, since i'm thinking in buying another one in the next 6~8 month's.

So i was thinking one of the two options bellow. Feel free to say your opinion or suggest a best move than this two bellow.

Option1
Overclock the CPU 3,06 to 3,6 (more if possible)
Sell the 6gig ram i have, and put 12gig ram (the vendor of this pc, said this motherboard doesn't "like" cpu overclocks whiteout having some empty slots, and if slots full, it can be unstable)

Option2
CPU stays at stock (3,06ghz)
Add more 12gig ram to the 6gb = 18 gig ram total (all mb slots occupied)

Also, an ssd for o.s. and applications, do you think it will improve anything, or just loading times of the apps?

Thanks in advance

olson
06-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Option2
CPU stays at stock (3,06ghz)
Add more 12gig ram to the 6gb = 18 gig ram total (all mb slots occupied)

If you're running out of memory with 6 GB in the system I'd go for the second option listed and just stuff as much memory in there as possible.

dangomes
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi,

i normaly easly fill up the 6gig ram. At work i have a similar pc with 12gig, and sometimes i reach the limit.

I'm a bit divided, maybe go the ram1st and see. OC the cpu maybe it wont change that much the render speeds, since it will be about 10~15%.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.