PDA

View Full Version : Macbook pro Bootcamp or VM?

Lsdinc
06-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

I have just bought a shiny new macbook pro (I do not want to start a mac pc debate).

I use 3ds max in work so I will have to run windows on it for some stuff but am wondering what is best way to do this is?

Bootcamp is supposed to be great but you have to power down and restart every time you want to switch OS's and this would be messy as I would be switching between programs a lot.

Is there much loss of performance with the VM programs like Virtualbox or parallels or any issues? 3Ds max is moody enough normally

Any advice would be great, thanks.

les

olson
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Is there much loss of performance with the VM programs like Virtualbox or parallels or any issues? 3Ds max is moody enough normally

In terms of processing power virtual machines are on par with non-virtualized environments thanks to AMD-V and Intel VT-x but they have many other caveats. Virtual machines have a large memory overhead because you have all of the host operating system using resources too. Hardware accelerated graphics don't work in virtual machines (maybe a decade from now?) so the viewport in Max would either be painfully slow with software drawn graphics or just plain broken. The best option for an application like Max is to dual boot with Windows, or just use Windows 100% of the time and you don't have to worry about switching.

cgbeige
06-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I run Max in a Parallels Desktop VM (it's the best for 3D of all the Mac virtual machine programs) for converting models for use in Maya or to make for clients, but I wouldn't recommend it if it's your main app that will be running all the time. It is not painfully slow, broken or whatever though. It's very fast, actually. see my review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/10/virtual-showdown-parallels-desktop-7-and-vmware-fusion-4-reviewed/

here's Max 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJes4yqrsY&feature=player_embedded#!

Lsdinc
06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi,

Thanks for responses. Max is what I use for work so at home I would use it for some work but not for everything but when I do use it I would be using it intensively with plugins like fumefx, krakatoa and the like.

What about wine? is that any good?

Thanks

Les

olson
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
What about wine? is that any good?

There are no production proven alternatives - if you want to use Max to the fullest use it in Windows. If this forum had an emoticon for beating a dead horse I'd use it. There have been several threads about using Max on a Macbook Pro that follow the same trend.

dmeyer
06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
If you set up a Bootcamp partition, you can also set VMWare Fusion up to access that as a virtual machine. Then you can boot to it when you need power, use it in a VM when you don't.

cgbeige
06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
If you set up a Bootcamp partition, you can also set VMWare Fusion up to access that as a virtual machine. Then you can boot to it when you need power, use it in a VM when you don't.

Don't use virtual machine software with your activated Boot Camp partition. I find it screws up the activation.

dmeyer
06-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't use virtual machine software with your activated Boot Camp partition. I find it screws up the activation.

Interesting, no problems here. It does screw the clock up once in awhile. Maybe its a Parallels thing. :shrug:

Lsdinc
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi all,

Am having issues with virtualbox. I installed W7 64bit on a partition of 100GB using NTFS (was this a mistake?) using bootcamp.

I installed virtualbox and following a number of guides about how to use VB with bootcamp the furthest I got was for VB to try and boot the bootcamp partition but I just get to a stage were W7 will not boot, it gives option to start normally or offer to repair the start up but if I try either options it just goes back to that screen.
I know this is pretty vague but am new to mac stuff, apologies.

Is it worth reinstalling W7 with FAT file system? I really want to be able to use Mac OS and W7, the option to just run W7 for small things is ideal and then if I need to use it full power I can just boot into it.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

olson
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I really want to be able to use Mac OS and W7, the option to just run W7 for small things is ideal and then if I need to use it full power I can just boot into it.

That's asking for trouble in my opinion. I would stick to native dual booting or using a virtual machine with a virtual hard disk.

dmeyer
07-03-2012, 02:21 AM
That's asking for trouble in my opinion. I would stick to native dual booting or using a virtual machine with a virtual hard disk.

Or use VMware Fusion.

Lsdinc
07-03-2012, 03:34 PM
What is so different with VMware? Parallels lets you use more video memory. As I do 3d work that may be handy.

olson
07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
What is so different with VMware? Parallels lets you use more video memory. As I do 3d work that may be handy.

The ability to boot a native install in a virtual machine is dependent upon the virtual machine software.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014618

Its not all peaches and cream though.

Booting a Windows operating system alternately via Boot Camp and VMware Fusion present considerable differences in hardware to the operating system, and this triggers product activation. This is corrected by installing VMware Tools after booting Windows using Fusion.

Tricks are used to fool Windows into working. Those tricks can introduce new bugs and reliability issues. For example who knows what will happen when a service pack is installed sometime down the road.

If this is for home use and you just want to tinker that's probably fine. If you want to use this machine for production and your job/client depends on it then I would avoid it and just dual boot. One less thing to break and stop the show.

cgbeige
07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I wrote a large comparative review between VMWare Fusion 4 and Parallels Desktop 7:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/10/virtual-showdown-parallels-desktop-7-and-vmware-fusion-4-reviewed/

Parallels is far better over all for 3D in a VM. It's more consistent and stable than VMWare.

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.