PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Sim - Issues

Microno95
06-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I recently decided to create a waterfall simulation in Blender only to go half the way and be forced to stop. I've created the path which the water will follow from a plane and set it as an obstacle but no matter what I do the fluid keeps passing through and instead colliding with an invisible shape. No matter what resolution I've tried it refuses to work and I am on the brink of giving up. I have tried all three obstacle type options to no avail. I end up with the fluid becoming this as though there is some other object.

I thought maybe the fact that the path was a plane the fluid was passing through it so I used the solidify modifier and yet it still passes through. If anyone wants the file email me and I'll answer back. If anyone has suggestions it would be great.

ChukChuk
06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Can you post image of what's happening please?

Microno95
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
This is what was happening:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=168068&stc=1

I exported the ground as an obj file then imported it into a new file, went into edit mode and pressed several different things which solved it but I retained the original problematic file because I want to know what the problem could've been so that if I ever come across it again I don't suffer problems.

ChukChuk
06-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Have you tryed to apply the scale, location and rotation of all the objects.

Microno95
06-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm completely new to this so how would I do that? I can't try it right now but I will later.

Thanks!

ChukChuk
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
ctrl+A. Apply them one at a time and see if they solve your problem. I say start with scale then rotation and then location.

mackdadd
06-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Also, find out where it's writing the cache files. I've had this happen, and have had to trace the cache files to a temp folder in some AppData folder that was hidden (on Windows). Find that cache, delete it, and see if it helps.

Microno95
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I didn't want the fluid to be cached in some random place so I changed it's directory to a folder that is in the same folder as my .blend file. I deleted it's contents but that still didn't help. I'm going to try ChukChuk's suggestion once I am done with my fluid simulation. (Left it on overnight AND still not done)

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.