PDA

View Full Version : Ray-casting or intersecting curves and geo?

cwisbg
06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
I have my camera with an image plane in front of it(geometry plane) and some curves coming out of the cam going though the plane to the ground marking key points. Im basically after the translation point where the curve passes though the plane. I was thinking a ray cast from the camera along the curve would work perfectly, but i cant find any kind of python ray casting

NaughtyNathan
06-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Maya API has rayCasting methods (in MFnMesh) which you can easily* access from python...
You should also be able to access this via pyMel too, which is probably going to be less pain than vanilla python API...

*easily depending on your coding skill level... the API is notoriously difficult to wrap your head around for a beginner/intermediate, but by no means impossible.

cwisbg
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
ha i was afraid that would be suggested. So as im not an expert looks like this wont be easy. I found this-

http://www.fevrierdorian.com/blog/post/2011/07/31/Project-a-mesh-to-another-with-Maya-API-%28English-Translation%29

and im going to try to extract/study what i need.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.