PDA

View Full Version : Foot modeling tutorial

Stahlberg
11-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Had to make a girl's foot recently, took the opportunity to make a little tut. Feedback appreciated.
(Some things may be Maya-specific, some things not.)

Foot modeling tutorial (http://androidblues.com/tutorial/footmodeltut.html)

Atwooki
11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Nice one, Steven :)

That'll rile up the 'quad boys' hehe.... (only joking!)

Strange how underrated foot-modeling is, considering how careful animators generally are to get their feet well planted and flat on the ground.....

Atwooki

Xlars
11-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Wonderful tutorial! Thanks Steven! :applause:

actarusprocyon
11-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your precious informations,really appreciated.

flingster
11-26-2003, 09:18 PM
quad-boy huh...
a little time to work around the ngons i would imagine in c4d...but do-able..
thanks for taking the time anyways..
:beer:

Stahlberg
11-27-2003, 02:10 AM
Thanks!
I've got some more reasons for keeping it quads in Maya, one was to be able to render with MR (which to me is a very annoying fact, and just another reason why I should choose Renderman), another was to be able to export to other apps - like say C4D. I didn't really think of the last one myself, as I don't use any other apps. But I can appreciate the problem.

edit: I've updated both the image and the tutorial.

stefanosoik
11-27-2003, 10:07 AM
very nice tutorial
i was exactly what i was need

thanks Stahlberg:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

fatboy
11-27-2003, 04:26 PM
THANKS Stahlberg. it is nice tutorial.:applause:

peanut
11-29-2003, 07:48 AM
This, this is very very handy, hola !!!

thanks a ton Steven !! :drool: :cool: :bounce: :surprised

Stahlberg
11-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Thanks!
Here's a better link to the tutorial; Peter Levius mirrored it, and he added a couple of the foot ref pics I used, plus some more links at the bottom. I'll put this in my own version too, but who knows when I'll get around to it. :)

Here (http://www.3d.sk/tutorials/Modeling_a_foot_in_Maya.htm)

robin
12-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks Stahlberg

i like your modeling method, i used a totally different approach. your way of doing this is far superior

good

-R

JA-forreal
12-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks! Another great tutorial on modeling 3d feet. I use Blender and start every model from a box that is loopcut and divided into all parts. Then I use edgeloop and loopcuts methods to build up the surface details. Sometimes I cut in a loop inside of some edges and weld or slice the mesh up to add more detail. I canít use 5 sided polys in Blender and avoid using tri polys if I can. But your method looks great. And itís simple. I will have to apply it to my system of modeling thanks!

ThirdEye
12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Nice tutorial Steven. I have to say that while the presence of those ngons and tris doesn't affect the mesh and the deformations that much you can easily avoid them with some cuts with Maya's split poly tool. There are some tris which could easily become quads, but yes, i'm a quad maniac ;)

ambient-whisper
12-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ThirdEye
Nice tutorial Steven. I have to say that while the presence of those ngons and tris doesn't affect the mesh and the deformations that much you can easily avoid them with some cuts with Maya's split poly tool. There are some tris which could easily become quads, but yes, i'm a quad maniac ;)

but you dont have much choice in the matter ;)

ThirdEye
12-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
but you dont have much choice in the matter ;)

Sad but true. But anyway you should see me tri hunting :p

ambient-whisper
12-03-2003, 10:06 PM
you got a tool that automatically highlights tris ? or ngons?

in mirai what i used to do was use a command that would select any "illegal" polygons, and then id use triangulate ( with an option to keep quads if possible. )

it would make optimizing meshes rather quick :)

ThirdEye
12-03-2003, 11:04 PM
If someone else is interested to feet here's another tut by Antropus: http://www.antropus.com/english/tutope.htm

By the way here's the best foot i've ever seen, by the master Peter Syomka:

:bowdown: :bowdown:

http://www.primitivex.com/w_ann/feb2002/wip_ann_feb01.jpg

phreaknasty
12-04-2003, 12:50 AM
Steve:: great tutorial and model. i like how you splayed (sp?) the toes as they press into the ground. if anything i'd like to see the effect accentuated to give a greater sense of weight. my only crit would be that the inner ankle bump (medial malleolus of the tibia) seems a little sharp. it seems pinched. keep the tuts coming.

3rd eye and ambient ::

in maya you can go to polygons>cleanup>polygon cleanup options... set the operation drop down to "Select" and check "4-sided faces" under "Tesselate Geometry." finally invert you component selection and viola you've got tries. if you want to avoid the hassle you can use this very lame "script"

polyCleanupArgList 3 { "0","2","1","1","0","0","0","0","0","1e-005","0","1e-005","0","1e-005","0","-1","0" };
invertCompSelection;

if someone smarter then me wants to write a real script that can differentiate (and label in some way) quads, tris and non-quad ngons i'd love them dearly and call them George. till then my method selects all non-quads in a mesh.

katon
12-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Nice one Steven,

I am always amazed by the simple models that look so good. the model is just nice and clean and not to many unneeded poly's. Like i said i love seeing stuff like this it is good to study, it goes to show that the rendering and texture have so much to do with it. And i did not realize that MR could only render quads. Is that with subd's or just plolys. Cause i thought it couldnt even render sub d's and i never thought i had problems with rendering triangles on poly's.

Katon

Stahlberg
12-04-2003, 03:34 AM
while the presence of those ngons and tris doesn't affect the mesh and the deformations that much you can easily avoid them with some cuts

True, but I'm more anal about localizing detail, and keeping it as light as possible, than about getting rid of 3's and 5's. (Since I'm not forced to do it). I know I could spend another 15 - 30 minutes and make it all quads, but
1. it would most likely have been a half-hour of my life wasted, especially if I decide to change the topology later
2. I'd have to add a couple dozen more edges, making the model heavier, and
3. perhaps introducing bumps where I don't want them, or smoothing areas I want bumpy.

I don't know, I just love the efficiency of using 3 big quads and a triangle to achieve the same amount of detail that would perhaps take 12 quads, in an all-quad setup. You see what I mean?

phreaknasty, you're right, good eyes. :)

katon, thanks.

Neil
12-04-2003, 03:41 AM
I hope no one with a foot fetish sees this page :cool:

bjarneheden
12-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
you got a tool that automatically highlights tris ? or ngons?

in mirai what i used to do was use a command that would select any "illegal" polygons, and then id use triangulate ( with an option to keep quads if possible. )

it would make optimizing meshes rather quick :)

In this page you will find a script that color codes the polygons based on number of verts. Works great for me anyway.

Quad Checker (http://www.benbathen.com/MelScripts.html)

/Bjarne

AJ
12-04-2003, 08:50 PM
I would like to thank you once again for this tutorial.

Since I've been modelling a foot for the last few days and wasn't looking forward to tackling the issues of the lumps/veins/wrinkled detail, I thought 'oh bugger it' and tried your n-gons-a-go-go method.

I've been fairly pleased with the results! It didn't even occur to me how much of my foot simply wasn't going to deform, so I'm now left with lots of nice foot decals in half the time. :D Oh, and topology that would make many a modeller point at me and get angry :blush:

Thanks again!

flingster
12-04-2003, 09:20 PM
OT...but for cinema4d users out there just get astrofish's free geom check plugin.
http://www.astrofish.com
will find all those errors for ya.

monkeygroove
12-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Looks good... I am going to try it with Wings3D. I think that it might work.

Thanks.....

JA-forreal
12-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
True, but I'm more anal about localizing detail, and keeping it as light as possible, than about getting rid of 3's and 5's. (Since I'm not forced to do it). I know I could spend another 15 - 30 minutes and make it all quads, but
1. it would most likely have been a half-hour of my life wasted, especially if I decide to change the topology later

If it works for you why fix it?

I started a thread here a while back on quad modeling. But I soon adopted a more relaxed approach to 3d modeling. I'm sure that when I post images of some of my models and meshes here I will get roused up with great points on improving my mesh topology methods. If you thought the quad guys are a little touchy wait until you see the game modelers and their tri poly bi-laws. Hehehe. We 3d folks are so picky.

When I mentioned that I reuse my 3d characters meshes for diversely different characters without starting from scratch someone almost choked. I hate modeling redundancies. But that is just me. Hehe. Morph, cut, cut, loop, extrude, etc. A brand new character in half the time, yay!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.