PDA

View Full Version : LScript Commander Crashed, but I fixed it

NanoGator
11-26-2003, 08:16 AM
hi All,

I had an interesting episode with LScript Commander tonight. I figured I'd share the details on how I dealt with it. For the record, though, I'm only posting this as an informative piece and not as advice. It involves mucking with the Windows Registry, and there is the potential there to really break your machine. Do so at your own risk. Sorry to be paranoid, but I have no idea what consequences might arise by recreating what I did.

Now, on to the story:

I was using LSC tonight and after futzing around with it for a while, *crash*, it died and took Layout with it. Upon restarting Layout, I found that firing up Lscript Commander caused Layout to crash. Repeatedly. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to come back up. (Reinstall of Lightwave, reinstall of vid drivers, deletion of config files, etc...) After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that the problem was probably in the registry. Afterall, removal of LW or config files wouldn't affect what's there. So I did a search for 'Newtek' and found it under hkey current user/software/Newtek. After digging into it a bit, I noticed that several commands I had entered into LSC were in a key a couple of levels deep under Newtek. Gold! So I renamed Newtek to Newtek2, restarted LW, fired up LScript Commander, and it worked!

I think I understand what happened. Somehow I had entered an illegal command (i did have 3 or 4 on one line, possibly even a typo or two...) and it was stuck in the registry. When LSC was started, it'd load the Session, fire up the corrupt line, and *Blammo* it'd die. By renaming Newtek to Newtek2, it couldn't find those keys, so it reinitialized.

I just wanted to document this little problem/solution somewhere in case somebody else runs into it down the road. :)

Cheers,

Nano

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.