PDA

View Full Version : Ejecting brass - how

Meko
11-26-2003, 08:56 AM
As the title says, Ejecting brass.

now since this is a big turret (for thsoe of you who member my last few posts) i dont want a million lil gold things flying about...... just a few say.... 30 per clip.

now how would i do this, cause i want a shot that would be close enough to the emmitor, (or whatever), to see it clearly, so i cant just make em lil gold flecks.

and ideas, im open minded =)

thx, Meko

kevman3d
11-26-2003, 09:40 AM
I've done a similar thing for a machine gun - I just used a particle emitter... Because the gun was small, I rendered a side-on image of an empty casing, then just use it via HV sprite mode... It worked nicely...

As for ejection, use expressions to control the particle birth rate... I linked mine to the trigger, so that squeezing it (via a morph) activated the ejector. It was an extension to a tutorial I did some time ago...

If you need a more 3D casing then what a flat 2D sprite will give, you could still use the same technique, but model the empty casing and just use FX_Linker to attach it to the emitter.

Good luck!

Steve Warner
11-26-2003, 03:01 PM
The HV Sprite method suggested by kevman3d is probably the most efficient way to achieve this. You could also use actual geometry and the FX Linker to link the object to a particle emitter. But for something like this, I'd serious look into Particle Illusion (http://www.wondertouch.com). You can get the LE version for under $100 that will do exactly what you need. In addition to real-time explosions, muzzle blasts, fire, lightning, rain, snow, etc., there are several free casing particle effects that come with the program. Here's an animated gif example (about 400k).

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Help/shells.gif

This isn't rendered. I'm dragging the shells around in real-time. :)

LittleFenris
11-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Both ways mentioned so far are great ways to do it. Only drawback to using Particle Illusion is that its one more application you need to learn (not that its real hard, but still an extra program you have to learn). But man, the realtime playback is awesome, and the effects you can achieve (in no time) with Particle Illusion are amazing. I definitely recommend it if you have the money. :buttrock:

I was playing with particle emmiters and FX_Linker yesterday and this would also be perfect for what you are looking for. And with this you could model the shell casings exactly like you want and control how many there are quite easily. :thumbsup:

SplineGod
11-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
Both ways mentioned so far are great ways to do it. Only drawback to using Particle Illusion is that its one more application you need to learn (not that its real hard, but still an extra program you have to learn). But man, the realtime playback is awesome, and the effects you can achieve (in no time) with Particle Illusion are amazing. I definitely recommend it if you have the money. :buttrock:

I was playing with particle emmiters and FX_Linker yesterday and this would also be perfect for what you are looking for. And with this you could model the shell casings exactly like you want and control how many there are quite easily. :thumbsup:
Another reason I like the HV sprite method is that you can render an image sequence of a shell casing spinning, that image sequence can be applied to HV sprites and the starting point of each image sequence on each HV randomized.
Image sequences created with particle illusion can also be used as image sequences applied to HV sprites.

Meko
11-27-2003, 07:13 AM
i think im gunna do the FX linker way, jsut cause i dont care about render times. (its a very short shot)

can you tell me if when i link the "shell im gunna model" how do i control how many there are. do i have to add every one to the scne or will they just stop when i turn the emmitor off...?

a lil more information on how the link the stuff would be great =))

thankx for your help, Meko

SplineGod
11-27-2003, 07:28 AM
I wouldnt use FXLinker myself. It would be a pain to setup and get the shells to behave properly before being ejected and a lot of other headaches.

Meko
11-27-2003, 07:50 AM
k, thx

Meko

Meko
11-28-2003, 01:04 AM
hey, i did the FXlinker and i modled my shell, but i cant figure out how to use it....

i also linked it to the part of my gun where i want the sheels to come out of.

i am missing a "object to replace" button or somthing arnt i?

kevman3d
11-28-2003, 10:22 AM
I tend to use FXLink directly - Select your shell object, then press 'm' for motion options... From the motion modifiers list, add 'FX_LINK'

This will let you connect the object to a particle in the emitter.

Set it up, get it looking cool, and then simply clone the object as many times as you need (usually just clone to match the particle count of the emitter) - This will automatically attach each clone to the next particle in the emitter for you...

If you don't like the emitted shell effect, simply use the scene editor to select all the clones. Delete them except for the first one, do what ever you need to tweek that first FX_Linked object then clone them again...

Simple.

Meko
11-29-2003, 08:15 AM
k sweet, this FXlinker is pimp

LittleFenris
11-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Meko
k sweet, this FXlinker is pimp

yeah no doubt. :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.