PDA

View Full Version : current option for digital painting

CKPinson
06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a medium Intuos 4, I like it, it works. I tested the Cintiq and was close to jumping on it but came to the conclusion that with my lifestyle it wasn't feasible because it's not portable.

Intuos 4 can hook up to a laptop, which was another option i was looking into, maybe get a nice laptop and plug that in until I can upgrade to the Intuos5- still considering this, but not completely a great portability there.

Final option I am considering is getting a tablet pc cuz IMO, the tablets I've tested aren't ready but perhaps a tablet pc will be powerful enough??? I just don't know where to start looking for a good one- has anything in this tech changed since I last looked into this (2 or more years ago give or take)?

I think it would be awesome to be able to roam around and have the ability to paint on the fly. I obviously do so ATM with paper but would be nice to have all the tools and colors without the hassle of carrying it all (pastels are messy and break easy).

CKPinson
06-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Like this ThinkPad X230t (http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/xtablet-series/x230t/) ... Is this any good for painting in Photoshop, Sketchbook and X.??

CKPinson
06-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Nevermind- read the forums at Lenovo- these are terrible, bad quality- Asus version just not powerful enough graphics wise- more feasible to stick with a nice workstation/mac laptop and combine an intuos which I can upgrade from INtuos 4 to 5 and also use ti with my desk top. thanx

tswalk
06-16-2012, 04:29 AM
i was just looking at the tech sheet on that thing, and they don't provide much details on graphics processor. if you only wanted to do simple sketches, you could probably get away with a tablet (like an ipad), but in my opinion none of them are worth it and are way to laggy for me. and for the price of that laptop, i would just wait for the next generation after windows 8 release.

but that's me, i'm picky on portable devices... i've alway been disappointed with them with graphics like that.

CKPinson
06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah- pretty much decided to upgrade my laptop (currently an older HP Workstation) but haven't decided which laptop to replace it with, and get the Intuos5. the 4 has worked wonders, especially with the art pen that rotates your brush, but the Intuos5 also has multigesture rotation which I would use ALOT!

I have a kickass desktop but I am so tired of setting in front of it, I feel soooo dam lazy not to mention unmotivated so I end playing Starcraft 2 or BF3 or something, especially since I'm an IT Spec for a living- just wanna break away sometimes but LOVE spending some of my "spare" time creating art (have so many ideas).

Now I just have to narrow down which laptop= I was interested in the new Retina Apple but I dunno.?. definately want around a 15 or 16 inch- not 17- battery life always sucks in them and they're heavy not to mention usually very hot. Any suggestions?

The Dells sound interesting, has IPS, the GPUs are good but the 17 offers more powerful Quadro... any thoughts- I repair older Dell laptops at work and they seem pretty nice. Lenovo has a crappy display. Apple obviously has a great display but how well it works.... and HP 15.6" diagonal LED-backlit FHD WVA anti-glare (1920 x 1080) or 17.3" diagonal LED-backlit HD+ WVA anti-glare (1920 x 1080)

15.6" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) PremierColor IPS RGB Anti-Glare LED-backlit Premium Panel

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.