PDA

View Full Version : midi keyboard and music

rudiHammad
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi,
I was looking for a midi keyboard to plug in my macbook pro to use with garage band.
I have no idea about that, so I donīt want to buy something that isnīt compatible or anything like that.
Any advice about this hole thing conserning midi keyboard and music software?
Thanks

SheepFactory
06-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Any midi keyboard will work.

DoubleSupercool
06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I picked up an M-Audio Axiom 25 and it is more than adequate. You can pay a lot and get weighted keys/more functions etc, but fore me I needed:

1. At least 25 keys
2. Programmable shuttle controls (stop/record/rewind etc)
3. Programmable dials/sliders (you can assign these and the controls to buttons/volume/fx levels in your music app)

earwax69
06-28-2012, 06:39 AM
My big keyboard is broken and I am now using a small 25 keys keyboard... For me, clearly, having only 2 octaves really damp my creativity. I'll buy a new 49 keys keyboard soon enough.

MimikOctopus
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
What you need really depends on what you're using, and how your workflow is. If you're doing a lot of drum programming, you may want to have pads like the Axiom, if you're doing a lot of synth programming, you may want a ton of knobs to control all your parameters. My best recommendation would be to go to a shop that has some on display and put your hands on the different 'boards you are considering. Make sure you like the way the keys feel on your fingers, turn the knobs, some are smooth, some are notched and click, this will mostly be preference. Also you can get an idea of the build quality of each of them. I'm a fan of the Novation ones myself, but I have an old $100 M-Audio 25 key that has done me just fine for years.

The other thing to consider is that some controllers have audio interfaces built in, this would allow you to connect a Mic or an external piece of gear through your keyboard, as well as output to your monitors/speakers. If you're going to be using it a lot, buy something that feels good to use, has the features you want, and is going to hold up. No point in saving money on something that you're going to replace because you don't like/ it breaks/ doesn't have the features you NEED... You'll end up spending more money and time finding a replacement.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.