PDA

View Full Version : OSX Heroes?

CyberGolem
06-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi,
A couple of years ago I purchased a MacPro Tower with a QuadroFX-4800 GPU. It doesn't crash (often) but it's currently suffering all sorts of strange behavior problems on my computer:
--Photoshop not updating filter & layer FX unless the image is nudged or the document saved.
--Open GL not working (renders in AfterFX look terrible)
--'Open Space' feature not showing open software properly (even moving software windows around when I switch spaces)

Although I purchased everything through Apple, they refuse to help since the installation wasn't performed by them <fume>

My wife has a nearly identical machine--sans the Quadro GPU-- and doesn't have the same software problems, which is why I'm guessing these problems stem from the QuadroFX not being installed properly. Probably the drivers?? Maybe my expectations of the Quadro is incorrect? I assumed this card was suppose to be a workstation badass.

This Mac has me perplexed. Are there any proficient Mac-users out there who might know what's happening and how to fix it?

Thank you very much,
~Chaz

OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

imashination
06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
You purchased a grossly overpriced gfx card that gave you no extra features or speed and was sold in such small quantities that bug fixes and improvements come out at a glacial rate.

Take it out and put a Radeon 5770 card in there for 200, it will be faster and supported much more easily. Maybe try to sell the quadro on ebay, they currently go for around 200 so you might come out even.

tswalk
06-16-2012, 04:47 AM
I'm on the other side of the fence with the Quadro cards and say that if you can afford it, get it for 3D work you will be doing... but i'm a Windows tech and only have done limited support for Mac.

Looks like you've got the required OSX update.. did you also note the CUDA driver update requirements before installing the hardware?

just a guess, not a statement on your ability.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_fx_4800_for_mac_us.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx-256.02.25f01-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

vlad
06-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm on the other side of the fence with the Quadro cards and say that if you can afford it, get it for 3D work you will be doing...

IMO, that kind of blanket statement is doing much disservice, as in many situations a Quadro card is totally unnecessary and the money spent on it would be put to much better use elsewhere.

tswalk
06-16-2012, 11:06 PM
IMO, that kind of blanket statement is doing much disservice, as in many situations a Quadro card is totally unnecessary and the money spent on it would be put to much better use elsewhere.

i could just as easily say the same though about stating that in many situations its' unnecessary and ultimately is his/her preference.

but i'm not going to sit there and tell them they've made a bad decision when in many cases it is a valid choice and not try to help them.

cgbeige
06-17-2012, 02:31 AM
I had that card - it was a turd. Worst drivers and completely abandoned by Nvidia. Get the 5770 - it's a huge upgrade and works fine in OS X with Maya and other 3D apps.

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2012, 02:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.