PDA

View Full Version : Our new site: dvdomain.com.au

maular
11-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Well, after a number of weeks our new site is uploaded, www.dvdomain.com.au (http://www.dvdomain.com.au). You will need Flash player 6, javascript and browser caching turned on, and a reasonably fast processor (1Ghz +) would be suggested.

All the characters / environments have been modelled and rendered in Maya 5, mostly using the new vector renderer. To make them move around and interact is all in the ActionScript.

C&C are most welcome! We are still waiting on sound effects and background music; it has been harder than expected to source quality material.

Regards,
Grant Cox

lindavanbruggen
11-26-2003, 09:11 AM
OMG!
Great work.
I am really amazed.
Animations are really good work.
It reminds me a bit of tokyoplastic.com, cause of the 'swift' style you got on those characters.
Again great work.

speC
11-27-2003, 06:47 PM
i really like the elegant but not to
hard course you drive to show your skills.

no (or better hardly any) needless
animations.
clean straight and informative.

maular
11-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :)

lindavanbruggen: tokyoplastic.com was one of many inspirations :P

maular
12-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Hmm, I was hoping for some more feedback...

No one else has any comments?

Protoplasma
12-02-2003, 08:44 AM
it seems that you invested much work to those animation. (which is really great ). but the anim is stand-alone. there is no interaction for the user. the menu of the page stands out of the rest. if you can combine your animation frame with the navigation in any way. it would be awesome. hope you know what i mean..

ScottSonnenberg
12-02-2003, 05:08 PM
I would love to see some behind the scenes of this site. It is really cool.

I am kind of new to flash. Are the walking characters seperate movie clips that have collision detection on them and some sort of A.I.? I am really curious!

maular
12-02-2003, 11:28 PM
ScottSonnenberg: All the characters are movie clips rendered from four different angles (per page unfortunately, as the perspective changes). They walk between defined points, each point has recorded what scale the characters should be and what depth etc. These values are interpolated between the walk start and end points, so they get bigger when closer and take larger steps (ie move more screen space per step), and should appear in front of characters further back. There is very basic AI to make them decide where to walk, and to try to avoid other characters. There is no collision detection at all, we experimented with that but found it was too CPU intensive.

Protoplasma: I kind of know what you mean. We certainly had plans to make the characters interactive, but this has not eventuated (yet :P). We played around with ragdoll on the characters, but it just seemed like a gimmick and would require quite a few more renders (ie filesize) to be seamless.

As for the navigation integrating with the main scene... We purposely kept the navigation separate and consistent across sections for usabillity purposes. We did look at having the transitions between sections be a camera move between the 3d locations (again, filesize...), but is this the kind of thing you are suggesting?

Protoplasma
12-03-2003, 04:31 PM
okay.. i can imagine that it hard todo. the animation sequence itself is great. So i guess the char-interactivity is your longtime motivation :-) another possibilty could be that the windows are placeable by the user. I guess they aren`t hiding any errors or blank positions in the movies ?
thumbs up for the Services submenu - thats awesome.
keep it up !

jistyles
12-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Looking great Grant!

It wasn't too painful on 56k, since the drawing in the loaders kept it rather interesting. In regards to interactivity, it certainly felt like there should be something there. I was clicking around all over the place! :)

I kind of expected a few little toys to play around with, like hitting the traffic light button, thwacking a bird from the sky, or a mouse position tracer from a character (eg, they watch your cursor, or react to what product you're looking at).

The whole rag doll concept would've been very interesting, but that's a project in and of itself - would've been fun making a recoverable system though (eg, blending between idle animating character, rag doll, getting back up anim/landing or correcting themselves anim, back to idles). But the viability of that for such a novelty isn't really worth it since it'd just be a sandbox sort of thing instead of a production/presentation.

anyways, looking great!

maular
12-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Protoplasma - That's an interesting point about moving the windows. We did test that but found it really had no purpose, and would just allow the user to make the screen messy with windows. Nevertheless, a large number of our testers expected to be able to move them, so it's a contentious point. We did design the site knowing where the content panels would be, so there is less detail behind them.

Joel - Being able to interact with the characters like that is a great idea and we certainly plan to implement it. It's the "when" that's a problem, we've a bit of a backlog of "real" work to get through first :)

The recovery system was exactly the problem, especially since if you can pick the characters up you'd want to be able to bounce them off a wall too. Which brings in the problem of moving this pseudo-3d character in 2d space; what plane should it move and collide on?

Michael Chen
12-08-2003, 09:52 PM
First of all I thought the spash page was wicked.
It caught my attention right away, due to its simplicity.

The overall site looks great. However sometimes, when the characters was moving around the corner it seemed a bit to sharp (a very fast an stiff movement), just my opinion.

Anyway your animations look great :)

Hope your company does well :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.