PDA

View Full Version : Where do people get ideas?

freighttrein
06-14-2012, 08:26 PM
So im a newbie digital painter and i started doing the process where you brush random things until you see a picture. Ten minutes in and i see nothing. Where does everyone get ideas to paint these things?

Andrewty07
06-16-2012, 04:50 AM
I have seen some concept artists do something similar to what you mentioned but also placing a texture as a background, tweaking its contrast and opacity to subtle it down a bit and then drawing over it for ideas. Another method is to take a few images and combine them into a new idea or concept until a foundation is established to run off of. Ultimately it is up to you to play around with different things to find your best inspiration, some artists do things like listen to movie soundtracks and imagine what would be going on while it played or the kind of creature/character that would be on screen.

Lunatique
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
You're going about it backwards. One does not just arrive at something without having a wealth of knowledge/experience to inform them. For example, if you wanted to improvise a piece of music on an instrument, you would not be able to come up with anything decent if you didn't know anything about scales, harmonic structure, rhythm, key signature, dynamics, or have had lots of experience practicing improvisation. Those musicians who can improvise on the spot all have extensive experience and knowledge to inform them of the split-second decisions they must make while improvising in real-time. It's exactly the same with doing the kind of free form exploration in drawing/painting that you're talking about.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you have no idea if the artist already had a subject in mind before he started scribbling. You need to understand the difference between having an idea in mind already, and then starting to block in the general composition, shapes, values, etc, going from rough overall shapes to more refined shapes, and actually not having any ideas in mind and just blindly scribble on the canvas. I think you're probably referring to the first, not the latter.

BillyWJ
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
So im a newbie digital painter and i started doing the process where you brush random things until you see a picture. Ten minutes in and i see nothing. Where does everyone get ideas to paint these things?

The path to becoming an artist is one of practice, and starting out just learning to draw what you see, so you build up a mental and physical portfolio of technique and solutions that can be applied later on. Most beginning drawing classes you'll find in college simply start out drawing things you can see right around you: your hand, an object on the table, or what you see out the window. You spend a lot of time drawing simple still-lifes, like a glass with some water and a couple of flowers. The things you learn drawing glass, and how to deal with the reflections and refractions can be used later on in your career if you come up with an idea that requires a glass of water, or something similar.

I know you'll fall into the same trap most beginning artists do - you want all of your work to be finished, polished pieces, but as a beginner, you need to focus on the actual technique, how to solve problems, how to approach composition, shading, texturing, and lighting. You don't want to "waste" time drawing a simple object, you want to do the naked women/fantasy/sci fi stuff you see here. That will come, you have to give it time, and learn to build up there.

My best advice is to be patient, draw and paint as much as you can, and paint and draw the widest possible variety of things you can - do a simple still life on your desk, and then go and take some reference shots of a cityscape or landscape, and learn how to paint that. That's what traditional artists do, every day. Every time you pick up a pencil, or a brush, or a Wacom stylus, it's an opportunity to learn, and practice, and get better. Sometimes you won't - just move on to the next one. Art needs to become part of your daily life, you need to see the world like an artist does - and want to paint and draw as much of it as possible!

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.