PDA

View Full Version : Composition Question

bonestructure
06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm getting ready to do a new portfolio image, but it's problematic. I want to get work doing CD covers. The problem is, while my skill in composition in landscape and portrait formats are good, I really don't know much about composition in a square format. I fear there's a lot of temptation to make the image too balanced, too centered. So I wondered if some here could give me some tips on composition in square.

bonestructure
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I should mention that I have done one square image. That's it. And it was simple to compose as it was all squares with details to scatter around.

Lunatique
06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
The same guidelines in composition applies to all aspect ratios. Just because an image is square, doesn't make the classic guidelines like Rule-of-Thirds, Golden Ratio/Divine Proportions, the four quadrants, etc any less relevant. It also doesn't change the important things you need to consider such as contrasting shapes and contours, contrasting values, color harmony, atmospheric perspective, effective camera angles/focal lengths, edge properties, surface treatment, leading the eyes, framing the subjects, selective detail, counter-balance of large, medium, and small shapes, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.