PDA

View Full Version : Character: Afro Samurai

Pi3141
11-26-2003, 01:57 AM
As a break from the caricatures, I present: Afro Samurai!!

http://pisong.20m.com/AFROSAM1.jpg

Rigged by T4D :D

EDIT: Might not be online or updating for a few days, laptop cord just sparked, fizzed and died so I'm gonna have to wait to get a new one :banghead:

Must.... save... battery life.

wgreenlee1
11-26-2003, 02:33 AM
hehehehe.....
man you come with some great ticklers!!!

Afro Samurai!! :buttrock:

Merlin
11-26-2003, 05:56 AM
That's awesome!

telamon
11-26-2003, 08:23 AM
wow what a great concept. I really like the idea. Both the model and the pose have great personnality. I really like the hair cut and facial traits coming directly from the 70s.

A few comments, if you don't mind :

- The feet look like boxes, perhaps you should make them a bit rounder. (Perhaps it is only a rendering / shadow issue).
- The square part of the sword is a bit too large
On my laptop's screen the extremity of the blade is a bit weird (antialiasing problem).
- I can't see his belt. Maybe you should make it a bit thicker.

I really like the Pi logo on the floor... Maybe you should increase the fuzziness of the shadows to make it a bit more enigmatic.

Wow what a great character :applause:

xtrm3d
11-26-2003, 09:15 AM
yeaahh i agree with telamon..

and i like more as teh matrix stuff..
something original and unexppected ..

great continue to work on him.. and start to learn rigging :-)

T4D
11-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Another Super Cool Model Pi :beer:
the lighting looks cool too :thumbsup:

So Who is he going to fight Neo or Bruce Lee ??:eek:

proton
11-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Great expression....I think we just found the king of characters....:buttrock:

AndrewE
11-26-2003, 11:32 AM
That's awesome Pi.

AWESOME AS ALWAYS!

Geez, you blow my mind away!

YOU ROCK THE CASBAH!

Pi3141
11-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Thank You :)

My battery is low so I'm going to have to make this quick. I'll pick up a new Powercord later today and so some more renders

Wgreenlee: Thanks mad, I'm really glad you like him. I was concerned because he is a departure from the caricatures.

Merlin: Thanks!!!

Telamon :

You make some great points about the shoes and sword and stuff. I'll do some tweaking before the next render I think :)

Xtrm: hehehe thanks. Yeah I know... must... learn...to rig

T4D: Hey thanks man, You do half the work :D

Proton: :buttrock:

AndrewE: Thanks Andrew! Glad you like him

leigh
11-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Looking cool, Pi :)

sensai2nd
11-26-2003, 02:42 PM
yeah, this one is too cool . . . however, it does look, to me, like a caricature of Jim Kelly, the guy that starred in that 77' film "Black Samurai" . . . either which way, this character rocks!!! Can't wait to start seeing your characters in action.

Peace.

pixelranger
11-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Yet another masterpiece from you, Pi! :) I like it very much! Do you have any plans with it? Is there a story behind him, or is he just feeling the same as the rest of us are these days; like kicking som Thurman @$$! :D

Pi3141
11-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks!

I'm making replies quick and short since I had to order my power cord online, and will take two days to get here :D

Plans for him? I'll upload a bunch more renders when I get my powercord, I have posed them and set them up, just don't have the battery time to render them .

I also want to get a few animations done for a Demo Reel using him :)

LittleFenris
11-26-2003, 03:29 PM
My only crit is that I don't think the skintone is dark enough for him to be an "afro" samurai. It seems too pink to be afro. Other than that he looks really good. I love the green hair...adds to his character.

Kid-Mesh
11-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Dude, your hillarious!

-JT-
11-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Great face expression !!
I don't know why but it makes me think of the tarentino universe (maybe the mix of styles and times...).

I'm not so found of the "specular" on the ground.

Roman
11-26-2003, 05:48 PM
it's ok, but thats not your concept, it's a copy from a hongkong vinyl toy figure... so give credits to the true artist. The figure was done by Takashi Okazaki.

http://www.kidrobot.com/images/specimages/s-afsam-1.jpg

telamon
11-26-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't want to take his defence but I did not read anywhere that he is the father of the concept.

Thanks Roman to have revealed the actual reference :thumbsup:

Pi3141
11-26-2003, 06:04 PM
That's correct, I didn't state I was the creator either. I actually already mentioned I was modeling from designs of vinyl toys in my Matrix thread, a link given to me by Policarpo.

EDIT: Actually I just checked, i didn't make mention of it in my first post. I was in a rush trying to save battery power, and was keeping my words as beif as possible, although as stated I did make mention of the vinyl toys in an earlier thread. Apologies, didn't mean to offend or take anything away from anyone else.

Remi
11-26-2003, 06:16 PM
not taking sides....next time Pi will know i'm sure to state his refs. that said....good work Pi:)

Gkaine
11-26-2003, 10:16 PM
great work again pi

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.