PDA

View Full Version : Maya .OBJ Export Generates UVs as One Texture to Lightwave

studiomiguel
11-25-2003, 08:53 PM
I'm pushing client supplied models out of Maya into Lightwave. However the .obj export is creating only one UV map that contains ALL of my UVs stacked on top of one another. They seem to be holding their shape integrity, but what a pain to have to regenerate 40-50 uv sets. Am I doing something wrong or is this the best that .obj can deliver?

Thanks,

M

Remi
11-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Does this happen going the other way...sorry...just curious...I don't have the answer to your question.....but i'm diving into maya right now:)

studiomiguel
11-25-2003, 10:43 PM
You make a good point remi. I did some tests and....

My Maya 4.0 won't even import an .obj (I recall now having that problem before).

Lightwave imports the uv's that it exported in the .obj file in the same manner as the Maya .objs.... looks like a problem with my import in Lightwave.

Anyone... anyone?

M

Stone
11-25-2003, 10:57 PM
i can't help you with .obj, but it might be worth trying out the filmbox (fbx) file format plugins since they are free and works in the same line as obj does.

/stone

Remi
11-25-2003, 11:03 PM
isn't the fbx a layout plugin...what if I just want to export the object....maya should be able to import and obj file right? Keep in mind im using the PLE version.:)

studiomiguel
11-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Okay okay... I'll try the fbx plugin in the morning.. here is my concern though. fbx uses the .obj format to convert my files. If Ltw has some kind of freakout problem importing .obj uv's it stands to reason that the fbx plug in will generate the same issue.

We'll see however.

Just for grins.... create an object. Give it at least two surfaces. Create two uv's and assign those. Export it as .obj and then import it to modeler.

What happens to your maps? I'd like to know if this is effecting anyone else besides me... little oldmac user that I am.

M

studiomiguel
11-25-2003, 11:14 PM
It just occurred to me...

Do I need to export EACH element that has it's own UV map? Stands that this would eleviate my overlaping map problem, but again... that's a lot of work.

yog
11-25-2003, 11:34 PM
I don't know if this is relavent, but :
I use 3D Exploration to translate my LW models into OBJ format so I can import them into MAX. Doing this tends to combine all the different UV's into one. In fact surfaces that don't have UV's in LW get them added during the transfomation (if it has a standard cylindrical map in LW then it gets a cylindrical UV map added).

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.