PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk - Price and Upgrade Policy Changing

abgrafx3d
06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Here's a quote I received from an Autodesk email today:

Price and upgrade policy changes are coming.
Autodesk will moderately increase most software product prices in North America effective August 1, 2012, and also plans to modify its upgrade policies and pricing next year. Take advantage of current pricing and upgrade paths today and move to the current release. If you act before July 13, 2012, you can save up to 20%* off upgrade SRP.

Wonder what Autodesk has up their sleeve now!

darthviper107
06-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I guess we'll see. Considering how people have been with the programs I think a pricing increase would be a bad move.

do3dcom
06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Here's a quote I received from an Autodesk email today:

Price and upgrade policy changes are coming.
Autodesk will moderately increase most software product prices in North America effective August 1, 2012, and also plans to modify its upgrade policies and pricing next year. Take advantage of current pricing and upgrade paths today and move to the current release. If you act before July 13, 2012, you can save up to 20%* off upgrade SRP.

Wonder what Autodesk has up their sleeve now!

Can you provide the source link where you found this information?

do3dcom
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Never mind, I missed the part that you said you got it by email.

AangtheAvatar
06-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Eeeevill!! It is an evil company. You need to hide your wife, hide your kids and hide your husbands....cause they rapin err body out here.

Prices should be going down not up.

HFnord
06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=19221634&siteID=123112

AangtheAvatar
06-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Eeeevill!! It is an evil company. You need to hide your wife, hide your kids and hide your husbands....cause they rapin err body out here.

PerryDS
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I was digging around, and I believe it only appears to applies to the suites. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to renew my subscription for Maya ... but for 20% off I would consider it seriously ...

michibe
06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Some Autodesk guy says prices in UK were going donw some years ago and noone complained. ;)

I think subscription here in Germany wil lraise around 100-120 EUR. Don't know exactly.
Its my fist year on sbscription and I have max2013 but still essential plugins missing so I work with max2012. I'm not sure if its worth to upgrade every year. I have other software whch I also upgrade so it pretty much sums up in costs...not easy as a small business especailly with the most fellow artists just using copied software at work what we legal licensees pay too. But I dont want to complain.

Price raisings are never cool. :)

darthviper107
06-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I was digging around, and I believe it only appears to applies to the suites. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to renew my subscription for Maya ... but for 20% off I would consider it seriously ...

Well, is the 20% discount basically removing the price increase?

DuttyFoot
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Eeeevill!!
the voice of mermaid man comes to mind, LOL

PerryDS
06-07-2012, 09:55 PM
... I get it ... upgrade now because when or if or when you upgrade next year, it will cost 20% more ...

darthviper107
06-07-2012, 10:02 PM
... I get it ... upgrade now because when or if or when you upgrade next year, it will cost 20% more ...
Maybe, it's just a guess

danmarell
06-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Well from their perspective, autodesks software is a pivotal part of creating visual effects for pretty much all high grossing vfx based movies. they probably want a slice of that.

Unfortunately, it seems that the money doesn't trickle down from the studios into the vfx business. If the software costs more, then it is a valid way of charging more to clients. Big vfx houses can probably afford the increases anyway.

But it will be more difficult for smaller boutiquey vfx companies and freelancers to purchase. Maybe autodesk need to bring back a form of maya complete ( but dont call it by that stupid name 'cos it was anything but). Maybe a nearly fully featured maya but with reduced customisability. Smaller companies tend to only use the inbuilt standard maya features anyway so only allow access to that. A full maya 'pro' version could have things like compatibility with third party renderers and access to advanced api features for implementing into pipelines.

DuttyFoot
06-08-2012, 01:31 AM
But it will be more difficult for smaller boutiquey vfx companies and freelancers to purchase. Maybe autodesk need to bring back a form of maya complete ( but dont call it by that stupid name 'cos it was anything but). Maybe a nearly fully featured maya but with reduced customisability. Smaller companies tend to only use the inbuilt standard maya features anyway so only allow access to that. A full maya 'pro' version could have things like compatibility with third party renderers and access to advanced api features for implementing into pipelines.

i doubt that will ever happen. if the cost affects smaller shops or freelancers they might as well turn to blender, modo, C4d, or lightwave

DSW
06-08-2012, 02:39 AM
I seem to recall many times in this forum and many other software forums that most people seem to think that the cost of the software is negligible. I don't agree, but there have been MANY people who state this. I would assume that this would affect freelancers and smaller companies the most, but still... unless larger companies get serious discounts, I can't see how it wouldn't affect them negatively - especially considering the extremely small profit margin that many VFX companies operate by.

Vesuvius71
06-08-2012, 02:54 AM
maya would be too expensive even if it was free. it's complete garbage and it has a really bad effect on other software packages. other companies are saying, "if maya can get away with that crap, i can too!".

artisanfx
06-08-2012, 04:11 AM

I am not sure if you really win 20 % off
but i am sure that the company win 20 % more money and i am also sure that the company will lost more and more clients using any Autodesk programs because, if you looking arround, you will see that some other software goes better and better every day and more people start using it.
and also i knew many people still using old version like 2005 and 2009 or 2010 so why spend that much money just to upgrade your software if you can still work with the old version or any other software.
I think its a bad move to raise the price
the company can make more money if the price drops down because he will selling more copy
that's what i thinking:)

pixelforge
06-08-2012, 05:07 AM
It's a bit murkily worded but it sounds to me like they're saying that if you upgrade before the price change you'll save 20% over the new price when it takes effect. Not a savings over current pricing just that if you wait you'll end up paying 20% more.

animationguy2100
06-08-2012, 05:50 AM
According to an email from my software vendor the price increase is only 5% and that the upgrade prices will be more limited.

nimajneb
06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
It's a standard hard sell. "Buy now and get this great deal! The price will be higher later!" You'd get the same from any car salesman. Autodesk is going to try to extract every penny they can from the consumers of the product, like any other company. Nothing wrong with that, that's the market at work. For folks on a budget (like myself) it just means that you need to plan accordingly and incorporate the costs into your bottom line. Don't let their selling tactics rock you back on your feet. Don't react emotionally to their pitch. Look at your needs, your budget, plan, save and purchase responsibly.

TRick
06-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I am perfectly willing to pay some extra $$$ each year for my subscription, if it would benefit me. BUt I wonder what THAT would be !?!?

The real danger I see from RAISING prices is that there will be relatively more illegal users, who will charge LESS for their work, putting more pressure on the legal users, and therefore making it impossible to RAISE THEIR fees, without getting LONG faces from their clients :(

And then again I wonder: WHO really benefits from RAISING prices ???

KidderD
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I am perfectly willing to pay some extra $$$ each year for my subscription, if it would benefit me. BUt I wonder what THAT would be !?!?

The real danger I see from RAISING prices is that there will be relatively more illegal users, who will charge LESS for their work, putting more pressure on the legal users, and therefore making it impossible to RAISE THEIR fees, without getting LONG faces from their clients :(

Absoulutely agree! This is industry needs to paste the onus of legality on the purchasers of the content. Can't police the suppliers, far too vast, but requiring purchasers to require legal validation should be possible, and is absolutely necessary for this industry to grow up.

I hesitate to say a registry system is needed, but I did just say it. You would think, that something like this, would also help speed along copyright infringement.

PerryDS
06-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I was debating about renewing my maya subscription ... I also use lightwave, which I did upgrade. But father all the negative comments, and this supposed "deal", I'm feeling not so inclined.

For a small shop, I carry a bunch of applications that get renewed regularly, and have to assess whether it's worth it, and what the overall benefit is. Much of what I do in the 3D realm can currently be done more efficiently in other apps ...

cybernaut
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Good old inflation. sigh

Artbot
06-09-2012, 12:18 AM

The Autodesk Board of Directors, who get to tell their stockholders that they are raising prices to increase profits.

Vesuvius71
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
it ain't worth it.

TRick
06-09-2012, 07:46 AM
The Autodesk Board of Directors, who get to tell their stockholders that they are raising prices to increase profits.

As said....I wonder! If clients are NOT happy, eventually shareholders willl SHARE that SAME sentiment;)

Bullit
06-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I think this is a very bad move by Autodesk. I don't think they are seeing what is going on in the world. Blender seems more tasty by the day.

And? Btw you can be an Autodesk stockholder too.

cresshead
06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
for 3dsmax users based in UK

subs are going up 45% as of march 2013
as of now you can pay up front 3 years in advance to buy subs at today's level [pre 45% rise]
so saving you quite a bit...but you'll need the money for that now and also hope that autodesk still sell 3dsmax in 3years time as a stand alone app.

Autodesk appear to be moving to a suite only model for commercial users if you look at what has already happened to student sales.

ToddD
06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
really? I mean lets look at the pathetic additions to 3ds Max 2013 I too have installed but continued using 2012 due to documented issues....this entire yearly release cycle is business driven, to me it just serves as a vehicle for subscription sales. I do know that in the case of 3ds 2013 beta testers(I did not beta) were complaining of viewport performance suffering, and hey guess what, it delivered that way....
Would be nice as consumers if we got a quality product for the money we already shell out, now we will paying more for features like "Egg Spline" nice!

t.

cresshead
06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
yeh each release form 2010 onwards has been sluggish and pretty lack lustre, that's 4 years of subs gone to waste really with only polyboost being a noteable addition in my opinion...and that came in max 2010 i think.

i added modo this year...my subs for 3dsmax are up for renewal on thursday of next week.

on one hand i'm not happy at the crappy new versions we have to suffer, but i do realise we're in the middle of the re write so the apps will be pretty crap until the beta code is gone.

i'm hopeful we'll get a decent update next year...have a realtime previewer just like every other top app like softimage, maya, modo and lightwave...not a ham fisted iray with noisey images and one that needs a cuda card to work.

so where's the built in mo cap plugin for kinect?
where's some built in auto lipsync tools for 3dsmax?
where's a proper update for hair and fur?
where's phantom points for sub d surfaces?
where's fluids?
when are autodesk going to buy marvellous designer and integrate it into 3dsmax?
for my increase in subs with the poor showing of 3dsmax 2013 i'd want motion builder bundled in free..or mudbox...best way you can say sorry about the crap release.

time they got off their butts and gave some proper updates for our increased subscription.

autodesk should release a new version of 3dsmax when it's worthy of a new name...not just a new year slapped on.

currently subscription offers me the ability to have a @home and @work install working...and that's 3dsmax 2008 or 3dsmax 8 usually...not the latest slowest most buggy version running...THAT is what i'm paying for 2 installs working.

i feel pretty sad about 3dsmax...i love the app and will continue to use it, most probably older installs..there is a light at the end of the tunnel, once the rewrite is complete but it seems 2 years away and a lot can change in other apps in that timescale.

Kabab
06-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Only thing they understand is money..

You want substantial improvements stop paying subscription, if they see the renewal numbers are stable they will think they are doing enough its not until there is a strong drop in renewal they will get off their asses...

cresshead
06-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Only thing they understand is money..

You want substantial improvements stop paying subscription, if they see the renewal numbers are stable they will think they are doing enough its not until there is a strong drop in renewal they will get off their asses...

have to agree on that one!
i want 3dsmax to be cool...maybe it's just going thru a bad patch, back in the 3dsmax 7,8,9 days we got major updates.

trancerobot
06-09-2012, 05:45 PM
really? I mean lets look at the pathetic additions to 3ds Max 2013 I too have installed but continued using 2012 due to documented issues....this entire yearly release cycle is business driven, to me it just serves as a vehicle for subscription sales. I do know that in the case of 3ds 2013 beta testers(I did not beta) were complaining of viewport performance suffering, and hey guess what, it delivered that way....
Would be nice as consumers if we got a quality product for the money we already shell out, now we will paying more for features like "Egg Spline" nice!

t.

Egg Spline is a feature added into Max Design 2013, and it's actually for pipes. The egg shape is useful in reality (http://www.meyer-polycrete.com/en/pipes/eggshapedpipes.php) because you can walk through it a lot easier than you could a round pipe. It also stays cleaner than a round pipe.

As for the cost of this thing, and the eventual suite-only model... just look at the cost of some of the other equipment you might need. LIDAR scanners typically costs $50k and up, and for the artists a 24 inch Cintiq is going for $2,600 - decent computer is at least going to cost that much as well although if you're poor you can eek by on home built computers.

Right now there's some people who own LIDAR scanners and work for themselves. They've taken bank loans out to afford it, and they rent out their services to companies that don't want to buy those things (or train the expertise needed along with it). According to a forwarded email I've received from a coworker, these things pay for themselves after two jobs. In addition to that they're useful for architecture, GIS, traffic accidents, and more. Apparently the cost of the thing hasn't stopped them from working, and there's really no alternative other than the excruciatingly slow robotic Total Station, which is itself not that cheap.

My point is, there's clearly a way to get these things even if you're in business for yourself. If you're just a hobbyist, well, there's at least free alternatives for you 3d artists. There's no free LIDARs laying around for us BIM people.

Someone earlier said inflation. I'm willing to bet that this is the main issue. The dollar is rapidly losing value, and our incomes aren't keeping up, so things seem more expensive when really they're just the same price they always were. There's probably a breaking point somewhere though...

ToddD
06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Egg Spline is a feature added into Max Design 2013, and it's actually for pipes

It's not only in design- my point was, does that feature along with the other relatively uneventful additions and repairs really warrant us paying the subscription fee?(which will now be raised)
Is max 2014 going to have a "muffin spline" feature added for our higher subscription fee??
A good scripter could most likely have created egg spline and distributed it free or cheaply, this isn't something that should be on a feature list for a release we are paying for.

Not a hobbyist, understand buying hardware and software, but subscription is a bit different IMO While you have the option to buy a new video card each year, Nvidia isn't forcing your hand yearly. I mean limited backwards compatibility in 3ds for example does necessitate that you keep up if you work as a contractor with outside vendors that may exchange files with you during a project. You can deliver a file in an earlier version, but what if you are supplied a scene from a newer release than you own?
I love the software, but don't think we should fawn over it if it isn't delivering the goods from time to time. This to me is 1 of those times, and an increase in subscription fees(at this time) seems like an insult. Listen to your user base, implement the things people are asking for, and when beta testing be receptive to ideas and feedback, that isnt always the case with AD.

(I am sure Maya and Soft users are experiencing similar feelings, just commenting on the package I use)

HFnord
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
The problem with these kinds of threads is that we keep, rightfully I must add, complaining (and have been doing so for years) about the Autodesk way of doing business, but in the end we're still in business with them. And that's the strength of their position: always charging more, often p***ing everybody off in the process and in the end still making more or less the same volume of sales.
To a certain extent that's a fascinating (and apparently weirdly successful) way to do business... :D

Artbot
06-09-2012, 09:59 PM
And? Btw you can be an Autodesk stockholder too.

So I buy ADSK stock, then pay more for the subscription so that my measly stock will be worth more? That's the snake eating itself.

BTW, I said they can tell stockholders (actually shareholders, people with enough stock to have a say in the company) their profits are expected to rise, but that doesn't mean they will rise. It's the same old investment shell-game that has ruined this country.

tonytrout
06-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Just the cost of doing business gentlemen, if you compare it to the cost of employing someone for a year you will see it is very cheap.

Kabab
06-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Just the cost of doing business gentlemen, if you compare it to the cost of employing someone for a year you will see it is very cheap.
I don't think people mind paying, the issue is paying year after year and receiving sub par updates... It's simply bad value for money and its only made possible by a near monopoly position...

Bullit
06-10-2012, 09:21 AM
So I buy ADSK stock, then pay more for the subscription so that my measly stock will be worth more? That's the snake eating itself.

No. It is called hedging. In this case not totally but the objective is the same: you loose from one side you win from the other.

Hedging is putting your money in oil industry and at solar same time for example. If one goes down you have the other. Look at what happened to Kodak, had digital at earlier time didn't hedged digital with film and went down...

And if you only buy one license you are winning from licenses of those that buy 10, 100, 1000, including the Autocad cow. Note that all media entertainment(3dsMax-don't know where they put 3dsDesign),Maya, Softimage, Flame etc is only around 10% of Autodesk revenue.

That doesn't precludes a technical analysis of Autodesk stock and to consider the current stock exchange distortion from Government interventionism via FED, BoE etc.

mcscher
06-10-2012, 06:36 PM
As far as I understood it you don't save 20% of the current price but you will not have to pay the 20% extras once they raise the price. Calling that a saving is at best bold. I am very happy I didn't buy the subscription together with my 2012 suite. Looking at what AD improoved... it would have been a waste of money.

I like the idea of the new upgrade policy though. This way I can decide for myself when to upgrade and when not and if it is worth the extra cost. When working from home it doesn't really matter if you have an older version anyway. As long as your renderer of choice supports your version everything is fine.

cresshead
06-10-2012, 07:51 PM

I like the idea of the new upgrade policy though. .

explain?

what's changed for the better...as understand it if you drop subs you'll currently need to spend 1200 to get back on and as of 2013 2200 to get back on...how's that good? :wip:

Upgrade from Version 2010, 2011 or 2012 1,220.00 + VAT

Legacy Upgrade (inc 1st year Subscription) 2,014.50 + VAT

Upgrade from Version 2010, 2011 or 2012 + 1 Years Subscription 1,587.50 + VAT

mcscher
06-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Maybe I missunderstood but my thinking was to save the money on subscription in total, stay with the current version I have and use the upgrade price for a future version, let's say 2015. I probably won't save any money doing so but at least I don't have to get angry about paying money for an update that's not worth a dime as it was in the previous years.

If AD brings out a version with significant improvements, actual features implemented, proper bugfixes (yeah I know, now were in strawberry world...) and not just previously available, commercial plugins bought and soso integrated, then I'd gladly pay the upgrade price well knowing I save nothing in money but gain a better running version. My guess is if I wait too long, let's say 4-5 versions I might as well buy a new version and pay the same. I then have two licenses, one that can be used for preparing stuff, modelling and so on and one for finalising after importing the prepared files.

If this happens I will most likely not buy a new suite but only one programm because my renderer I then rely on the most will not support the current "older" version.

I must say, I didn't buy the suite because Im a AD fan or I think their products are the best... far from it. I bought it because I need it, I make money with it.

cresshead
06-10-2012, 08:35 PM
yeh, interesting strategy actually as i'm finding 3dsmax 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 all rather buggy and sluggish compared to max 2009 and before. that..430 x 4 or 1720and getting back onboard would be either:

Upgrade from Version 2010, 2011 or 2012 + 1 Years Subscription 1,587.50 + VAT

Legacy Upgrade (inc 1st year Subscription) 2,014.50 + VAT

mcscher
06-10-2012, 09:19 PM
You see, that's why I like the legacy upgrade plan. I was never a subscription fan. I rather wait 2 years for a new release that actually works than be a beta tester on a buggy software every 6 months and on top pay for it.

I guess I know in 5 years if my idea was a good one ;)

pipdixel
06-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I've been on Subscription through varies companies since 99, and when they were doing large bi-yearly modular upgrades, it was very worth it. Now, I don't know if its as much except it makes someone at a large company able to easily get upgrades, for some reason purchasing a SUPPORT contract is much easier to get through accounting than software upgrades.

Honestly C4D isn't cheap anymore, they raised their prices significantly. Maybe the industry just needs this to happen to survive. Personally, I really applaud Adobe's new monthly membership fee, makes the monthly bottom line very affordable. I wish more companies would concider that approach instead of large lump sums.

Decency
06-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Lots of emotions in this thread, but has anyone got any concrete info on what the price increase will be?

HFnord
06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't know about the actual per product price increase mentioned here, but the upgrade pricing policy is said to become 70% of the new full-price version...

cresshead
06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Lots of emotions in this thread, but has anyone got any concrete info on what the price increase will be?

I also wanted to let you know that Autodesk has increased the price of 3ds Max Subscription to bring it in line with their Maya product. The new price is now 520 (plus vat).

The good news is that Autodesk is not implementing this price increase for Subscription renewals until next year, so the price remains at 360 per license (plus vat).

To maximise your saving over the next three years, there is the option to take out three years of subscription at the 360 rate (plus vat), plus also receive a further 10% multi year renewal discount (a two year option is also available, please contact bluegfx directly for a quotation).

See below for an indication of the savings you could make.

ILLUSTRATION

Product: Autodesk 3ds Max
Quantity: 1

1 Year Renewal: 360 (+ vat)
Cost over 3 years: 1400 (First year at 360 + years 2 and 3 at 520) (+ vat)

ALTERNATIVELY:
3 Year Renewal: 972 (+ vat)

Saving: 428 (+ vat)

RENEWING
By renewing, you guarantee to receive any version that is released during this period. As well as the financial benefits, there are a considerable number of other advantages of the Subscription program.

NOT RENEWING
You have up to a year to re-join the subscription program but it will be back dated to 14/06/2012. However if you do decide to renew 30 days after the expiry date you will be charged an additional late fee of 60 + vat per license.

If you do not renew within the year you can still take advantage of upgrading to the latest version, however the price does increase to 1530 per licence. For long term savings it makes sense to remain in the subscription program

ToddD
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM

If the person you hired wasn't performing to your liking would you continue to pay him/her for not being up to par? It's like your employee made you sign an agreement for a year of work, then performed poorly.

pipdixel
06-18-2012, 12:05 PM
You know, somewhere down the line I've gotten very over the Maya, 'if you're not on subscription it'll cost you so do it' mentality , What are they offering you can't get elsewhere?
Maya is great, but its not all amazing. Autodesk owning so much software is scary in a sense that they can take over the market and dictate to us, but great in a way that it might motivate some other programs to fill that price-point void with a better revolutionary product.
Like I said before, being on a service contract is great, but the last few years I have seen little benefit and if it was my money and not a companies, I don't know. Was there any upgrades between, say Maya 2010 and Maya 2013 I couldn't live without? None I know of.

darthviper107
06-19-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't know if this was gone over before, just got an email about it. They've changed upgrades so you can upgrade the last 6 versions of the program, however, the cost is now 70% of new license price, so almost double what it was before. That's pretty crappy if you're not on subscription. I don't see how this helps anyone except for the people that were no longer eligible for upgrade due to their version being too old.

DuttyFoot
06-21-2012, 01:05 AM
i just got this in my email

As your Autodesk Partner, we'd like to bring to your attention upcoming Autodesk price changes,

minimize the impact these price changes could have on your budget:

Before July 13, 2012

Save 20% on Upgrades to the latest Software or Suites - "It's Time to Make the Move" (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001-s020yzg4rwZHSKYDqiM1p7N5uho8k43Ao8DX1K65DoOba5UTQ6_GgfAfQh5RD3awdqsahVuCrV52BRt-QUd5gfjreqt_plTbpfmA0AlKQtE4lyLSjsmTUNpIS1O-5-xh2mNRW41khnS15K6BdwM9ly7ZY1zdei6tN6BQRjASlE7q-1vsoWiyxarxX-37SlYn2QPlIPlD1PutGZxOcJdNHGod0BhqX51)
0% Financing Available (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001-s020yzg4ry_msjCpSyGe_aCPeKzHUH9MkwBJkc7veXCHwLVpnDol2BhgnFiZOq7Jvhyw-ROyw_yjRERWt-1eWcyWNo_yfCepddcD9xIBzXbECFsrs-9XASoc0AXQOISEOZo91hLSLA=) for 12 Mo. or Low Rates for 36 Mo. (upon credit approval)
Additional Discounts on Multi-Year Subscription Renewal

Effective August 1, 2012

5% Price Increase on New Licenses
Multi-Year Subscription Discount Changes

No discount for 2 Year-Term
5% discount for 3 Year-Term

Effective February 1, 2013

Approximately 20% Upgrade Price Increase from the current SRP
Subscription Renewal Price Increase

Decency
06-21-2012, 01:15 AM
So it's more expensive to buy the software outright. It's also more expensive to renew a subscription, and waaay more expensive to upgrade to a new version without subscription. So you are pretty much going to pay more no matter who you are.

darthviper107
06-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Yeah, basically they're trying to get everyone on long-term subscriptions.

HFnord
06-21-2012, 07:10 AM
@DuttyFoot - some indication as to the amount of the subscription price increase wasn't given?

DuttyFoot
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
some indication as to the amount of the subscription price increase wasn't given?

i could always contact the reseller and see what they can tell me because no other explanation came in the email.

tctdvm
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Someone ran the numbers years ago...
for Maya... from version 1 to version 6:
if you had moved from 1 to 6 because you paid for subscription the whole time, it was like $50-$70k
or
by version 6, you would have given AW enough money to own 10-15 seats of maya.

That's because of the continual drop in pricing, though.

+1 whoever said version upgrades are now a form of marketing to promote subscription. AD HAS to put out at least 1 'major' a year no matter what, or they loose an entire branch of business.

BUT!
I am actually currently paying for subscription for Maya. Why?
because they currently are in the process of implementing their most brilliant marketing campaign ever!
Every version is WORSE than the one before.
I signed up for the subscription HOPING that the next one might actually not suck.
"we're redesigning the software from the ground up..."

At this point, I've invested a significant amount of money into 3rd party plugins, like Renderman Pro Studio.
I'm not nearly technically savvy enough to create a similar interface with Houdini... but if Pixar created one, I'd jump ship immediately.
RPS actually has a significant amount of power and far more options and allows me to work around some of the bugs I've found in the last several versions of Maya.

Oh. I discovered another source for AD's lackluster dev on their pro tools...
apparently they made 10x's more money selling $1 iPhone apps like Sketch Book Pro than selling pro Apps.

If they're not going to continue to set the bar for the VFX industry, they should just let their tools go to someone that will.
Didn't Alias employees purchase themselves from SGI?
they made Huge improvements to Maya during that period and brought the price down enough to make Maya the 3D industry standard. Before that, it was Max.
why the hell did they fold to Autodesk...?!

T

HFnord
06-21-2012, 07:03 PM
i could always contact the reseller and see what they can tell me because no other explanation came in the email.
That would be nice. My own reseller apparently is on vacation ATM... ;)

TheGrak
06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Everybody talks about how great online DRM and licensing is, and how it's going to fix all the problems with piracy... What they seem to be forgetting is that there is no such thing as absolute security in any system. Pursuing such an idealistic notion costs copious sums of money and man hours. Yet another reason why open-source VFX software will continue to revolutionize this industry. You think not? Blender has an interactive GPU rendering engine, fluids, fire, smoke, hair, node based compositing, video editing, etc... and we only get half of that stuff with Max for $4-5K. I've been learning Blender for the last 6 months, already delivered composites to clients and gotten paid, and I have to say that I've been WAY MORE IMPRESSED by Blender than I ever was by Max (been using since max8). There's more free tutorials for Blender than there are for Max, and you can setup a workstation in about an hour (and purchase 2 great workstations for the cost of 1 max license). I think the only reason Max still has so many rabid supporters is because of market saturation, not product quality or features (although Nitrous was nice, but should of debuted around 2008). So, unless you like spending $5K a year just to feel "up to date", I suggest you seriously reconsider just what you are paying for.

I'd rather pay for artists, workstations, and bills than line the pockets of ADSK stockholders so their marketing dept. can sell me on another sweet feature like caddies or egg splines (which by the way, you can create a circle spline, convert to an editable spline, and extrude it, then modify the spline handles, so I don't see how egg splines are a "feature").

Oh and one more thing: I'm looking at the source code for Blender right now, the last release. Try and get that from ADSK. The truth is: you don't know what their software is doing. Open up a system monitor and check out the process WSCommCntr3.exe. What's it doing exactly? And unless you've worked on that code directly, don't attempt to answer that.

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.