PDA

View Full Version : reuse animated skeleton ?

Michto
11-25-2003, 03:27 PM
is there any possibility to use the skeleton of an animated character for another one to apply the same animation to it ?

Michto
11-25-2003, 03:59 PM
sorry for this stupid question... I probably should use my brain before asking stupid things

anyway u can answer if u want !
if u know a fast way to do it

Thanks

Sil3
11-25-2003, 04:44 PM
If u just swap the meshes theres no problema at all, if u need to make adjustments to the Bones, GOOD LUCK.

Castius
11-25-2003, 05:09 PM
If you need to ajust the bones you will need to have them properly setup before you animate. By apply reset pivot rotation to all of them. then copying is pretty easy.

My autorigging scripts for my game are designed around this idea, but I don't use reset pivot rotation. I use all Z+ bones with weights.

Michto
11-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys...

so I'm not lying to myself when thinking that it seems not natural to do this in LW' comparing to other softs.

SplineGod
11-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Michto
Thanks guys...

so I'm not lying to myself when thinking that it seems not natural to do this in LW' comparing to other softs.
There are ways to rig the bones so that its relatively easy to reuse animations. As Castius mentioned there are ways to share data between rigs. You can even have one rig reference channels on another using follower or channel follower. After that, those channels can be baked.
In LW8 this will be a non issue as whole rigs and parts of rigs will be easily reuseable. :)

kretin
11-26-2003, 12:18 AM
It really depends on your specific needs as to how you would achieve this.

If you've created a character dancing and you want to add other dancers, you can just add the new character mesh and tell it to use bones from the original animated character.

If you're characters are different but you want to use the same keys, you can use Ortho tools to adjust the skeleton (looks like it'll be much easier in 8)

If you want a range of preset motions, like for game characters, you can use Motion Mixer, and load motions into a character with the same actor elements.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.