PDA

View Full Version : Animate the visibility of an object.

SaraGemma
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I would like to make a pipe to appear gradually in the scene throught an animation in softimage, but I can find the way to do it.

I can literally keyframe the render and veiw visibility but it just pops in and out, it's not a gradual fade in and fade out.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance,

Sara

Bennyhase
06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Best way to do this is in the post (like AfterEffects).
The only way in XSI that i know to fading an object is to animate its transparency settings in the material-node. But this is not really a "fading" and looks not really good.

grahamef
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Animate the Transparency Mix Color in the material's illumination shader (Phong, Lambert, or whatever you're using).

SaraGemma
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
When I say gradually I dont mean the transparency of the object, I wanted to say how the object is appearing from one side to other, like it is growing from bottom to top or from left to right.

Thank you very much.

Sara

oktawu
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM
At geometry level you best bet is an animated cut via the cut tool or animated boolean.
At shader level, you can pipe (no pun intended) a gradient in the transparency of the shader, and animate it over time. That should give you a directable transparency over the surface so you can gradually reveal it.

toonafish
06-09-2012, 09:33 AM
In case you have reflections and speculars on the material of the appearing pipe, it might be easier to use the "Card_Opacity" node instead of transparency. However, the Card_Opacity shader does not take shadows into account. But if the object is casting shadows, just plug a shader like the constant into the shadow input, and use the same gradient for it's transparency.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2012, 09:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.