PDA

View Full Version : too many faces to export .3ds

hypnagogia
06-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Hello, I have created a model which is very detailed and has over 84000 faces, because of this i cannot export it as .3ds model (which can only handle 64K). I tried to export it as obj instead and it exports fine, but when i try to import the obj back into 3ds max it crashes and closes max, this happens just as you think its about to open after loading. Im not sure why it crashes, im using all default settings... and have 6GB of Ram, any ideas?
ideally i would like to exort it as .3ds file also and i heard splitting the object may work, would this be the only way to do this without using an optimize modifier? i like the level of detail this model has and would rather not cut it down. If i could easy select all inside faces and delete them that would work too, selecting over 40k of faces manually is gonna take too long.
thanks for any ideas on this.

japetus
06-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Have you tried exporing as a FBX? That's a bit more stable.

hypnagogia
06-06-2012, 01:48 AM
thanks! FBX expoted it with no problems at all

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2012, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.