PDA

View Full Version : Shatter tutorial needed

pasto
11-25-2003, 12:34 PM
The title says it all.
Where can I find something a little more understandable than the doc about this cool feature ? Can't get the shards to be affected by collision.
I have been told about a plate breaking itself tut on alias web but I can't find it.

thanx a lot

pasto

WhiteRabbitObj
11-25-2003, 04:07 PM
If you use shatter and then make them rigid bodies with collisions turned on, you will sit around for a day waiting for it to calculate... however, if that's really what you want to do, just do your shatter effect, a surface shatter will take less time, a solid shatter will look cool because it will give you actual chunks, but take like 20x as long to calculate the collisions. After you have the shatter you like, select all the shards and create active rigid-bodies. Select them all again and create a radial field inside. Open up your dynamic relationships editor and check to make sure that all the shards are connected to your radial field. Hit play (or probably cache so that you don't have to wait multiple times to have it calculate)... then wait forever... then voila, you have it nicely exploding from the radial field and the pieces ought to collide.

The other big thing I forgot to mention is that you MUST go in and adjust every single shard so that it is not touching any other shard when the rigid body node is created. You cannot have them touching or interpenetrated because Maya will not be able to compute the collision and it will just poop out on you.

As for tutorials on how to use shatter itself, check the help docs, it's an easy effect to use but can be time consuming (don't do a solid shatter with 100 pieces unless you're going to lunch/sleep). Best of luck.

pasto
11-25-2003, 04:31 PM
thx a lot whiteRabbit, I am going to try that. if I delete history on the shards, they become regular geomtry right ? then I can collide them without any problem ?

pasto

WhiteRabbitObj
11-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Deleting history on them doesn't really have anything to do with them colliding except that it will probably speed things up. As soon as you create the shatter effect they are already regular pieces of geometry. At that point you just need to convert them to rigid bodies.

pasto
11-25-2003, 08:25 PM
I get it, so why is that so long to process ?
Do you mean that Shards have got a special connection or attribute that prevents them from being calculated quickly ? Sorry my english is poor, I can't get clear in my mind the specificity of Shards.

thanx a lot
pasto

WhiteRabbitObj
11-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Shards is just what it names each piece it creates by default. You can name them each whatever you want to. It takes a long time to calculate because the physics engine has to calculate a LOT of math in order to determine collisions on objects with a lot of geometry or with complex geometry. The shatter effect itself takes time because it is calculating and performing a lot of steps in order to create the new pieces of geometry. Hope that helps.

pasto
11-25-2003, 10:15 PM
thanx a lot Whiterabbit, you helped me.
Dynamics sound terrific in maya, infinite.

pasto

Kabab
11-26-2003, 05:16 AM
A little thing you can do to speed up the dynamics is place each chunk on a seperate collision layer and then set your passive objects to layer -1 that way all the active bodies will collied with the passives but not each other.

Makes simulations much much faster.

WhiteRabbitObj
11-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I should have mentioned that, but I think he wants the shards to collide with each other as well. Maybe not. But yeah, you can get creative and place some shards on some layers and some on others so that it doesnt have to calculate collisions for every piece against every piece.

pasto
11-26-2003, 07:49 AM
yes sounds like a good workaround too, thank you.

pasto

Trambott
11-28-2003, 02:57 AM
I'll tell you right now that dynamics is the way of pain, and a few little pointers that might help you out a little, although they aren't to spacific to what you are trying to do.
Firstly I recommend that each time that you are happy with the movement of your objects that you cache the data, this way maya will stop recalculating the movement each time you hit the play button, cause I find that I get different resualts each time i get maya to recalcualate the animation even when I have changed nothing in the scene. This also enables you to scrub through the time slider and pinpoint faults in your animation. You can find the option to cache data in the attibute editor on the rigid solver, or you can go to the dynamics menu set and hit solvers>cache data > enable. Remember to delete the data if you deciede to change some settings, because maya won't update your changes untill you do this.
Secondly i suggest that once you are happy with the animation that you convert them to keyframes, do this by going to edit>bake keys. and selecting the translate and rotate channels.
Not sure if I am stating the obvious by saying all this, but I know that these things have helped me lots with dynamic animation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.