PDA

View Full Version : Putting on an Ncloth Dress Shirt

artcross
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I need advice on how to animate a dress shirt being put on. The final animation won't have a character underneath, but rather look like an invisible man is putting on the shirt. I have already modeled the shirt (as if it is already put on) and have a dummy character underneath it. I've made it an ncloth, but am lost on how to animate the shirt actually being put on. I tried using point to surface constraints to dummy geometry which i animated to simulate something pulling the cloth, but that didn't work out so well. Anybody have any advice? thank you!

conflictingalibi
06-04-2012, 10:00 PM
There may be many different ways in going about this, and I'm sure more experienced cloth TD's may chime in. But what I would do is to rig the geo, keyframe animate it, and sim it using input attract. Trying to sim it completely may give you a good challenge, but I've found input attract to be a very good attribute to use.

f3rry
06-05-2012, 02:32 AM
You object is sitting outside the lattice. Follow the comment above, and scale the lattice and the base larger than the object. By default it fits perfectly

artcross
06-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks conflict, I had a feeling the solution would be something like that. I hadn't tried it yet b/c I couldn't figure out how to even animate the base mesh to act as if it's being put on, hence why I wanted to simulate it. Currently I'm trying to use joints to open up the shirt (I've never really used skeletons before), I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

f3rry, i'm not using a lattice, would that be an easier method? How would one go about setting that up?

Sundaynights
07-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Animation menu -> Create Deformers -> Lattice

when you select it, you can choose Lattice Points - each Point will move the area near to it - you can choose how many lattice points you want in the box before creating or after by selecting the mesh with the lattice on it or the lattice itself.

Don't delete history when you transformed your mesh and didn't liked it or something - the lattice will disappear and the mesh will stay in that form!

Hope I could help. Lattice-Deformer is a standard modelling tool, but can also be used for animation (since it is under the animation menu)

Both concepts might be tricky. If you get results, please also post it here. would love to see this (as I am also new to animation).

HowardM
07-04-2012, 12:17 AM
What are we talking here?
Putting on a shirt, lifting it from a hanger?
Already half way on, one sleeve up the arm?
So many ways to do this. Need more info.

You could animate a character or use mocap and yes use constraints to control the hands actually, realistically putting the entire shirt on starting with one sleeve up one arm. Sounds like a freaking nice FX challenge ;)

Or as mentioned you could setup an animation rig, animate the shirt being put on somewhat and use ncloth for wrinkles and secondary cloth motion... a lot easier in the end for someone new to cloth.

Have no clue about what these guys are on about with lattices... lol ;)

artcross
07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Sorry for being MIA, i've been using the past couple weeks to learn about skeletons and see how I could use them for this effect...and I think I got something! I wasn't sure how to do it with lattices as mentioned earlier, so basically I modeled the shirt, made it an ncloth, hooked up a constraint to simulate it hanging on a hook and played it out for a while to get an initial state. Then I modeled a low poly "human" which i then attached to a rudimentary skeletal system. I animated the skeleton going through the motions of putting on a shirt and made the human model a passive collider. Then I basically just placed the human model next to the shirt and prayed the simulation played out well. Since this part was all simulation, it was basically all trial and error, making small adjustments to guide the arms into the sleeves, resimulating. make more adjustments, resimulate, etc). Finally, I hooked up a second skeleton to the original mesh of the ncloth and animated that to "button up" the shirt. I then keyframed the input mesh attract parameter on the ncloth to follow that movement. Phew! here's what it looks like:

A bit rough, and i'm sure overly complicated, but I think it's a good start. I could use any advice on how to simplify this or do it a better way. Thanks!

artcross
07-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Not sure if the embed worked:
https://vimeo.com/45598032

EightBit
07-12-2012, 12:07 PM
That is cool! Good job.

HowardM
07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Nice one! :D

Parv
07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Nice.. Looks cool!

PozestStar
07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
That's an impressive test!

*steals idea and runs* :D

Castius
07-12-2012, 06:59 PM
That is a really nice test.

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2012, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.