PDA

View Full Version : Good 4 year CG programs

DeAxiom
06-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but eager to become apart of the community. i've been mildly practicing CG on my own for alittle time but its time i start to take myself and my practice seriously. Everyone here seems to be a wealth of information and i would like to inquire about any good schools with 4 year programs. I'm currently looking at digipen in seattle and various schools in California. Thanks in advance for any info.

taxguy
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
What are you interested in? Game design, movie animation, motion graphics, modeling 2d vs. 3d modeling/animation etc. Digipen is known to be a game design school.

DeAxiom
06-04-2012, 03:18 AM
G'evenin' and my apologies i should of specified. Right now i'm more interested in 3d animation so movie animation. Much like Pixar movies but alittle less cartoon-y. But im also not ruling out game design as an option if that makes any sense (hence checking out Digipen)

gawl126
06-04-2012, 06:12 AM
G'evenin' and my apologies i should of specified. Right now i'm more interested in 3d animation so movie animation. Much like Pixar movies but alittle less cartoon-y. But im also not ruling out game design as an option if that makes any sense (hence checking out Digipen)

What specifically about 3d animation do you like?

DeAxiom
06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
100% honest? my initial draw to 3d animation was (at the time) an independant artist by the name of Monty Oum that released his own 3d animations. They were spectacular and i wanted to do the same (examples; Dead Fantasy, Haliod, and RVB season 8 and up) Now a days Monty is still a big role model for me but i've come to be attracted by the complexity of it and the wide range of skills you need for it. you dont need to know just 1 program or have 1 skill. you need some photoshop and some video editing and some camera skills ect ect. I like having the variety of tasks for a project.

taxguy
06-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Digipen may not be a bad choice for you,but it's focus is on gaming, which might not be the right school for 3d animated movie training. Here are some other suggestions:

1. California College of the Arts: This is a very well known school and has strong animation offerings.

2.CalArts: This is probably the most well known school for animation in North America. However, their focus is primarily 2d, although they do have 3d training too.

3. Otis College of Art and Design

4. San Jose State University

5. University of Southern California, although they too have a 2d focus with some 3d training.

The east coast has some very strong programs in animation with a 3d emphasis that you should consider over Digipen such as:

1. Ringling College of Art: This is widely considered to be the best 3d school in the US that offers a full degree.

2. School of Visual Arts: They have a strong and well ranked animation/computer art program. Also, they are in Manhattan,and not Purdunk, Iowa. This allows for lots of studio connections for internships. Manhattan is also a very cool place for a student,but there is no campus.

3. Pratt Institute : Strong program in Brooklyn, NY. Again they also have connections like SVA. They also have a campus despite being in NY City.

4. Rochester Institute of Technology: Although they are in Rochester, which isn't as conducive for connections, they have a very good, flexible program. You specialize in animaiton and have a choice of concentrations between 2d and 3d or can get courses in both areas.

If you are willing to go to Canada, Sheridan Institute is widely considered one of the best programs in North America. Canada also has Seneca College which is considered quite good too.

One very good possibility is to go to a strong animation school such as Calarts, CCA etc. even with their 2d emphasis and then go on to a trade school such as Gnomon School of Visual Effects. Here you would get the best of all worlds: Strong fundamental training, strong 2d training and strong 3d training, which Gnomon is known for.Gnomon does not provide a degree,which is why I recommend going somewhere else for your basic animation training.

DeAxiom
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Digipen may not be a bad choice for you,but it's focus is on gaming, which might not be the right school for 3d animated movie training. Here are some other suggestions:

1. California College of the Arts: This is a very well known school and has strong animation offerings.

2.CalArts: This is probably the most well known school for animation in North America. However, their focus is primarily 2d, although they do have 3d training too.

3. Otis College of Art and Design

4. San Jose State University

5. University of Southern California, although they too have a 2d focus with some 3d training.

The east coast has some very strong programs in animation with a 3d emphasis that you should consider over Digipen such as:

1. Ringling College of Art: This is widely considered to be the best 3d school in the US that offers a full degree.

2. School of Visual Arts: They have a strong and well ranked animation/computer art program. Also, they are in Manhattan,and not Purdunk, Iowa. This allows for lots of studio connections for internships. Manhattan is also a very cool place for a student,but there is no campus.

3. Pratt Institute : Strong program in Brooklyn, NY. Again they also have connections like SVA. They also have a campus despite being in NY City.

4. Rochester Institute of Technology: Although they are in Rochester, which isn't as conducive for connections, they have a very good, flexible program. You specialize in animaiton and have a choice of concentrations between 2d and 3d or can get courses in both areas.

If you are willing to go to Canada, Sheridan Institute is widely considered one of the best programs in North America. Canada also has Seneca College which is considered quite good too.

One very good possibility is to go to a strong animation school such as Calarts, CCA etc. even with their 2d emphasis and then go on to a trade school such as Gnomon School of Visual Effects. Here you would get the best of all worlds: Strong fundamental training, strong 2d training and strong 3d training, which Gnomon is known for.Gnomon does not provide a degree,which is why I recommend going somewhere else for your basic animation training.

this is all fabulous information, thank you for the wide variety of answers. This gives me a few places to check out when i cruise through california this summer. and some schools to look into on the east coast (not opposed to moving and connections sound quite helpful) thank you again for your help

mbarq
06-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Disclaimer: I go to CCA (California College of the Arts).

Three things I think you should know: the school has great teachers, gives out great scholarships to match, but it is a really young program; five years?

The school is still trying to figure where to go with the program, so far it's been heavy on the traditional even more on the pre-production side of things, but it seem like it's now trying to shift to 3D. This fall they're starting to offer rigging and vfx, they were going to do mel script, but looks like they might hold off on that. Both those classes actually taught by currently working Dreamworks guys.

Last year they started Advanced 3D which is like environment design and lighting. They also got a gaming class which is more focused on the low poly modeling work. They also offer (read:require) 3d Character Animation 1 and 2.

Also, I'm not sure if they're making it a requirement but last year they offered an intro to maya course which is a basic welcome party to program (modeling, rigging, lighting, texture, etc). Before we kind just had to learn as we went, but seems like it was probably too much for people who have never touched the program and were just on paper before.

Taxguy's advice is pretty solid though,

cca, as of now seems like it'll give you a more "artsy" education, which is cool because it means you take some of the other pretty rad courses cca has to offer like "sculpture for animators", and even acting, but you might not be totally prepared to go straight into "the industry" from school.

Personally, it seems like Ringling is tops if you want to get into a 3D animation studio like pixar, dreamworks, sony, etc straight from school. Honestly from when I was looking at school about...two years ago, I couldn't find many that came close it. SVA seems like a good contendor and I'm sure there are lots of schools out there like the Academy that might actually be really good, but just do the research and if you do get around to visiting the schools; great!

One last thing about CCA, that I already said: they give good (full rides/tuition) and many scholarships if you meet the criterions for them. So, if you do get a good deal out if it, I wouldn't think about it twice, it's pretty good and it's getting better. If you don't, I'd look into other schools ~$100,000k+ in loans is no joke, especially if you can't get a job (career) afterwards.

DeAxiom
06-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Its great to hear from someone actually going to the school, if i recall CCA has two campus's correct? if i'm thinking of the right school anyways. yeah roughly the 19th of july i'm going to be touring through california checkin out some schools, and the oakland campus of CCA is on the list for sure. its also very reasuring to hear that they've got good scholarships, money is somthing i'm definatly not made of lol.

mbarq
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah, they have the SF campus with the architecture/graphic design/illustration/film courses and the Oakland campus with painting/textiles/glass/print/animation courses.

They provide a shuttle though so you can just hop on and the way the classes are scheduled is around the shuttle, so if you got a class on either campus, you'll make it just in time by taking the shuttle.

FYI: Tours on the Oakland campus start at 10am by the cafe, think you need to go into the main offices first though.

good luck, and definitely don't settle on a school just because they "accepted" you. The way the economy is, even Art Center (very good rep for illustration/id) is accepting students who probably wouldn't have made the cut 15 years ago. I don't feel paying that much money is worth it if you could get just as much mileage out of a community college course or even with books/dvds on your own.

scadstudent
07-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Hello,
I'm a senior at Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) studying visual effects. SCAD is a fantastic school for animation and visual effects. They are pricey like most art schools but they give out a lot of scholarship. We have faculty from all the big 3d animation studios. This past year we added a new member to the animation faculty Scott Wright formally of dreamworks and he has been revamping the program and making it even better than it already is. SCAD will teach you 2d and 3d. You can come out a generalist or specialize. You also are encouraged to collaborate and I have been lucky enough to do so on a lot of fantastic senior films. We have most of the big studios come for a visit throughout the year and a lot come twice. We also have a great graduation to job rating and lots of people get 1-2 internships before graduation including myself. I highly recommend looking into the school. I am happy to answer any questions for you!

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2012, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.