PDA

View Full Version : Help with texturing cloth.

popnGEAR
06-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone could share any tips on how to get a nice looking cloth. Bumpmap help being the most important I think, but any would be appreciated.

Thanks

leigh
06-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Well, that would really depend on what kind of cloth you are making!! Elaborate a bit for us....

popnGEAR
06-14-2002, 07:10 PM
just your regular cotton type shirt, not sure how else to describe it other than it's pretty much how ever t-shirt i have looks like.
:p

Scott Guns
06-14-2002, 10:10 PM
One thing I was noticing was that on cotton shirts, there are very small fibers sticking this way and that. It makes for a good glow effect with a strong backlight (like hair or fur).

Is there anyway to do this yet? It would be awesome..

leigh
06-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Well, with cloth you have to remember to make it translucent. That allows it to be backlit. With regards to making it coarse and kinda hairy, well I guess you could use a hair engine (like Sasquatch, MayaFur, Shag) on it, but using very very tiny hairs... You can't make fake threads with just texturing :sad:

And as for cotton... well, I guess that's just really a bump map thing. It can vary slightly from weave to weave, but generally cotton has a long vertical weave to it, so making a "stripey" bump map should do the trick :thumbsup: The thing is, when cotton gets used, it tends to get thready, and furry, so, like I said above, it may be cool to experiment with hair engines...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.