PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Wrinkles

WhiteRabbitObj
11-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Anyone know of a tutorial or tips for modeling wrinkles in clothing using polygons? I am specifically using Maya but that doesn't really matter as I can obviously adapt a modeling tutorial pretty easily. I don't know if there even are tutorials for something so seemingly trivial but I'm trying to get some wrinkles in a shirt and pants as if it is stretched tight but I am having a difficult time getting it to look right. Any help is much appreciated!

ambient-whisper
11-25-2003, 07:14 AM
belongs in the modelling forum :)

Iysun
11-25-2003, 07:33 AM
i cant think of any tutorials off hand, but one thing you can try if the mesh is pretty dense is give it a cloth modifier, add some gravity, and move the time forward a ways, and if no wrinkles appear there add a bit of wind or some other force as well. I usuely get good results this way after soem tweaking, i use xsi though so not sure if this works with maya but id amagine it would.

oh yah, not sure what exactly your modeling but be sure add the body as an obstical if its a piece of clothing or something :D

ambient-whisper
11-25-2003, 07:56 AM
btw. best advice i can give you is to get lots of reference. :)
maybe pose yourself or ask a friend/family member and take a few pics of em with similar clothing on, in a similar pose, and then use that as reference :)

ThirdEye
11-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Look in the WIP forum, there's a chinese opera character thread somewhere, there should be a timelapse about that in the thread.

WhiteRabbitObj
11-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks much. And yeah, I've been using lots of reference this time out. Producing the best model I've ever done, all thanks to the ton of pictures of myself I took, lol. I'd better hope no one ever gets their hands on them and posts them on the net! I'll check for that opera thread, thanks.

Robcg2
11-27-2003, 12:57 AM
The hobbit guy has a last step on this character in the tutorial that shows how he models wrinkles. I'm not sure if it would work for clothing, but it looks damn good on his character. Also it keeps all quads which is a pretty nice feature of the method.
the hobbit guy (http://www.thehobbitguy.com)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.