PDA

View Full Version : Lattice + aim constrain newb help

DimensionDynamics
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi,
I am rigging a non spherical eye, I thought the best way to do this would be to deform the eye with a lattice and then make the eye aim at a locator using the aim constrain.

All works well, the eye aims correctly when I move the locator around, but when I move the lattice the eye stops following the locator and just stays still in the lattice.

Dont know if theres a way around this so help is much appreciated , thanks :)

animatedfox
06-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Remember that deformers don't affect transforms...which is what the aimConstraint is affecting. Delete your lattice and you will see that the eye hasn't moved at all...so that's why it doesn't appear to be looking at the anim target. By as far as the eye's transform it is looking at the anim...no matter what the lattice is doing!
So, you need to have a transform moving with that lattice to drive the aim rotations of your eyeball. Unfortunately you can't just parent the eye to the lattice, or something easy like that.
Parent a locator with the lattice that is animConstrained to your target and then orient constrain the eyeball geo to that locator. (or connect the rotates) I think this should give you the behavior you are looking for.
Of course this suggestion is made in a vacuum with no knowledge of your actual setup...but the jist of it should be able to be extrapolated out to the best eye rig EVER!!

DimensionDynamics
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Remember that deformers don't affect transforms...which is what the aimConstraint is affecting. Delete your lattice and you will see that the eye hasn't moved at all...so that's why it doesn't appear to be looking at the anim target. By as far as the eye's transform it is looking at the anim...no matter what the lattice is doing!
So, you need to have a transform moving with that lattice to drive the aim rotations of your eyeball. Unfortunately you can't just parent the eye to the lattice, or something easy like that.
Parent a locator with the lattice that is animConstrained to your target and then orient constrain the eyeball geo to that locator. (or connect the rotates) I think this should give you the behavior you are looking for.
Of course this suggestion is made in a vacuum with no knowledge of your actual setup...but the jist of it should be able to be extrapolated out to the best eye rig EVER!!

Thanks! It works great! :D :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.