PDA

View Full Version : MR GlassPhysical PROBLEM

shadow92
06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi folks,
Im in process of making a car and I was recently advised to use for windows GlassPhysical preset of mia_material_x instead of transparent reflective blinn. It was good idea, with some settings and changing BRDF values Im getting quite better result, however I noticed one really big problem:
My windows are not transparent (means they are pure black) when looking through 2 windows at once - check image in attachments (w4.jpg)

Here are shader settings, you can check http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3738/36646124.jpg

Bitter
06-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Your refraction depth in your render globals is probably not high enough (it defaults to 1, very low).

Increase them to account for each surface you want to see through. If the windows are physically correct (meaning they have thickness) then you would pass through two planes for each window. To pass through two windows you need a refraction depth of four.

InfernalDarkness
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I see that your shader-level ray depth is 8 for the refractions, what about your reflections? As Bitter said, your main Render Settings will clamp this as well. Any time you're working with glass, a good idea is to start at 6/6/12 on your main Render Settings, and then adjust that down or up later for speed tune-ups if need be.

If your Reflections ray depth is less than 4 though, you will not get rays to shoot through all your windows. With glass the reflection/refraction depths should generally match. Hope this helps.

Also, last thing I could think of, is this geometry imported by chance? If it started as an .obj, then by default the geometry's shape node will not be visible in Reflections/Refractions.

shadow92
06-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Your refraction depth in your render globals is probably not high enough (it defaults to 1, very low).

Increase them to account for each surface you want to see through. If the windows are physically correct (meaning they have thickness) then you would pass through two planes for each window. To pass through two windows you need a refraction depth of four.

THANKS! increasing max trace depth solved the problem! :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2012, 09:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.