PDA

View Full Version : UV map and Surface Baker problem!

Ramon
11-25-2003, 04:25 AM
Hello all!
I have a dire question:
I am using the technique described as the "Smartmap" method as illustrated by Jacky Daniel: http://www.jackydaniel.com/pages/Tutorial.htm

When I am using Surface Baker I am getting this error message after the first segment rendered:
"No UV map selected, image creation failed. Select a UV map."

This error message should (theoretically) be incorrect because I do have a UV map within the object and it is selected in Surface Baker. Nothing should be wrong in that regard. It even rendered out once (but only once).
I need this surface baker image to be rendered out! The texture size from photoshop is 5,000 x 5,000 pixels and I have tried baking it at all kinds of resolutions, 4k, 3k, 1,024 to no avail (except for that one time). I would prefer the baked image to be at the texture's resolution of 5k because the UVmap incompasses the entire object and thus I need a HR map to keep a decent amount of detail.
This is crazy. I need Surface Baker to render out!
Please help

Finkster
11-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Just a guess here, but have you tried increasing the segment memory limit, under camera properties. The default is 8Mb, but 32+ would be better and will produce a non-segmented render for most resolutions. Surface baker may not work if the render is segmented.
Give it a go and tell us how you get on.

Ramon
11-25-2003, 08:58 AM
Ok, I just rendered with success with these settings:
IN BAKER: image resolution 512pixels
In Camera Properties: Segment memory limit, 512mgs.
Odly enough, the same error message came up (No UV map selected, image creation failed. Select a UV map) however, in spite of this, it did save the file.

Now, on the other hand, the resolution that I need (3,000 to 5000pixels in baker) did not save the image. The Segment memory limit was the same in this test - 512mgs. It doesn't seem like that was to little either because it didn't tell me that there wasn't enough memory. I did try to up the Segment memory limit to 1,024 and even more but, that's when I came into the:
"Not enough memory for frame buffer" error. That's sick because I have 2gigs of ram installed in my system so it shouldn't be a problem to render baker images at much higher resolutions than a dinky 512pixels.
Could it be the HUB?
Clues anyone?

Finkster
11-25-2003, 07:44 PM
That's odd. I've used the surface baker quite a bit recently, at up to 2000 pixels, without any problems and just 1GB memory.
Maybe if you could send me your file I could give it a go?
Or mabe try talking to Newtek support people.
Also, you shold never need the segment memory as high as that, 100mb at the most. Set it too high and you will run out of memory - as you found out.

Good luck!

Ramon
11-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
Well, this is quite odd. I just tried the 4k render without the HUB active (thinking that the hub was stealing some memory) ans at last, I didn't get the "Not enough memory for frame buffer" error, though I did still get the "No UV map selected, image creation failed. Select a UV map." error. I don't think that I have ever - not - gotten that error, even when the image was saved from baker! It just doesn't want to save the image!
You haven't ever gotten this error?
Lately I have been thinking that I should maybe just bake out my dragon object per contiuous poly group in the way that I have broken it up (unwelded) in the custum UV morph map. Ex: the main torso body (unwelded and seperated from the wings, head and legs) as a sing flat UV morph map and the other parts respectively in the same way. The problem is that for the Smartmap method to work correctly, since it will be applied as a UV map, these various parts in their own, individual UV maps will have to be a squared proportion which will, for the long torso area, eat up a lot of unused space on the map, thus creating a much larger and memory intensive map.
Another issue with seperating the unwelded pieces is that I really don't know how to do that with the "custom morph UV map" which I created. By that I mean, it's already in a morph. I guess that within the morph in Modeler I may be able to select a seperated group and create a uv map from that selected group but, then this wouldn't seperate the piece into it's own morph, it would obviously just create a uv map and thus, would not work with the smartmap technique. I guess if there is a way of seperating a morph to as many morphs needed to place all poly groups (torso, wings, head, etc...) that might work.
Man, I hope I'm making sense. I just want to be able to bake HR maps without using up a lot precious pixels on negetive areas (in between the poly goups) that are just a big waste.
By the way, I did call tech support and get this, he said essentially that lightwave wasn't really meant for those resolutions (I told him I needed baker to render 4 and 5k pixels) he said that you would need 5gigs of ram to render out 5,000 pixels. Well, I wasn't going to argue with him but, whatever, I know that's not the case. So essentially according to him, we need a gig of ram per ever 1k image we want to render. Ok, sure.

Ramon
11-26-2003, 02:56 AM
Hey Finkster, you wrote:"Also, you shold never need the segment memory as high as that, 100mb at the most."

I believe you are correct. I dropped it down to 100 and the saved it out my 4k Surface Baker render. Thanks man. So, what's the highest resolution image that surface baker would be able to render out? Do you know?

Thanks again for your responses!

JDaniel
11-26-2003, 07:20 AM
The only way i get that message is if a uv map isn't selected in Surface Baker. Weird. Have you tried another object w/ a small image test? I would try a re-install if all else fails. Sorry. :hmm:

Finkster
11-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Hey no problem Ramon. Glag it's working now!
I imagine surface baker would work just like the normal renderer, i.e. the image size is only limited by how much memory you have. Obviously when you talk about 4k and 5k images, that's a lot of memory. :shrug:
You must be doing some very high res work to need such detailed image maps. Good luck!

JDaniel
11-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Ramon

Lately I have been thinking that I should maybe just bake out my dragon object per contiuous poly group in the way that I have broken it up (unwelded) in the custum UV morph map. Ex: the main torso body (unwelded and seperated from the wings, head and legs) as a sing flat UV morph map and the other parts respectively in the same way. The problem is that for the Smartmap method to work correctly, since it will be applied as a UV map, these various parts in their own, individual UV maps will have to be a squared proportion which will, for the long torso area, eat up a lot of unused space on the map, thus creating a much larger and memory intensive map.

Ramon you don't have to make the camera square for the projection. Set yours up to fit your smartmap morph. The baked image will come out square for the uvmap though. This means 2 seperate psd files instead of one. It's a trade off. I would arrange his parts in a square shaped area like your uvmap. Remember to zoom way in and pull the camera way back to flatten out the perspective.
I don't understand the custom uvmorph question.

Oh yeah, never have the hub on w/ Baker. No no no.

Ramon
11-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Hello Jack, hope all is well.
Today is thanksgiving and I have a family get-together to attend so I won't be able to send a screenshot of my smartmap. My smartmap has all the pieces of the dragon. The problem is, porportionatly, the head is too small compared to the rest of the body. I have to go guys, I'll be back to show you the map.

By the way, thanks a lot for all the help! this is helping a lot!!!
Take it easy and like I said, I will post the smartmap later.

inakito
11-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Did you make an atlas proyection?

JDaniel
11-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Gobble,Gobble. Don't eat to much or you'll be passed out. :)
What's the problem w/ sizing your head up or the body down?

Ramon
11-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Ok guys, this is the first image link I will try ever on CGtalk so here goes...
http://home.att.net/~F7falcon/UVdragon.jpg

This is my Dragon uv map from the smartmap. I made the "screencapture" for the photoshop map by moving the camera back far enough away from the smartmap object to use a 400 mm zoom to fit the frame 5,000x5,000 then I rendered that out with wireframe shaded. Then made map photoshop map from that render.

Ramon
11-29-2003, 09:55 AM
By the way y'all, if you only seen a red red in place of the image (unfortunately I do, though maybe it's different for you) just tell me and I'll post up a .gif image of the file.
Regards,
Ramon

JDaniel
11-29-2003, 07:15 PM
No image Ramon. Try again.

Ramon
11-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Ok sorry. I feared that the JPG would only show up as an X. Don't know why. I saved it out in Photoshop 6.01
So, here's a .a jpg saved through web output...

http://home.att.net/~F7falcon/dragon_uv.jpg

Hope it works!

JDaniel
11-30-2003, 01:27 AM
How about putting the head in the bottom left and size it up. Move the shaded black spot to the right of the head(bttm middle). Size up the foot area , and put it where the head use to be. If the leg is just darker on the inside, you could mirror the leg and size it up, then add a weight map to the inner part and use it on the diffusion channel w/ an alpha. Unfortunately, sometimes your stuck w/ some space.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.