PDA

View Full Version : Perlin Noise

darkgaze
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
HI people.

Iīm programming a Perlin Noise generator.
Right now i have a big problem with the noise generator. It has to be a generator but not a random generator. That means, whenever you enter a number it gives you the same correspondant random , but always THE SAME.

Well. i got this from several websites. The rule is that these numbers must be primes:
float noise_function(int x)
{
x = x << 13;
float x2 = pow(x,x);
int t = ( x * (x * x * 60493 + 19990303) + 1376312589) & 0x7fffffff;
return 1.0 - ((float)t/1073741824.0);
}

Iīm supposed to give all X-axis values to this function, and it gives back a semi-random curve.
But it doesnīt , it obviously gives me a stairs-looking function. Like the one in the picture.

What the hell. As it is said here, it should be like this (first image).
http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/noisegen/index.html

Anybody know whatīs the problem?

gruhn
06-12-2012, 08:51 AM
The most obvious thing is that your code isn't the same as the code at libnoise.

You have:
x << 13
and they have:
n >> 13.

You have (effectively):
newx = (oldx << 13) ^ (oldx <<13)
and they have (effectively):
newx = (oldx >> 13) ^ (oldx)

You have
x * x [pow(x,x)]
and they have
x bitwiseOR x [x^x]

You took
x^x ... and shoved it away to never use again
They took
(n>>13)^n ... and saved it back to n and used that in subsequent operations.

In short: you need to be told: different languages use different symbols for different things. The sample code is C++ so things like >> and ^ mayn't mean what you are familiar with. And you need to be more careful transcribing.

I don't know enough about the floating point formats and current compilers so you should check yourself that your using float where the sample code uses double isn't a problem. It looks like the return value is -1 .. 1 so you should be fine and just lose some fine grain that you probably weren't using anyway.

darkgaze
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Superb!!

You are right, the code in my sources is pseudocode. the problem is i donīt really get what they intend to do, so iīll have to figure it out...

But thanks for THAT!! it saves my day, i have just 4 days to finish this!

Iīll tell you if it worked.

darkgaze
06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Now i realize how dumb i was. thanks :)
yeah. what a mess...

Now, what i ask is:

^ sometimes means POW, sometimes means Bitwise XOR. Considering the fact that i donīt really know what the funcion does, this makes it impossible. Iīll try different approaches. But well...

n >> 13 means shift left 13 bits (that means making it bigger, 13 times *2 right?)

Other pieces of code i found, they used << thatīs why i put it.

darkgaze
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
At last!!

It works. I attach an image for you to see how deliciously random it is.

Thanks a lot gruhn! I was using Processing language for graphical artistic stuff. ^ xor existed, but wasnīt documented (O_o), but after adding these changes, i did it.

THANKS forever. You saved my day.

gruhn
06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Woo hoo, glad it worked.

Interesting that some examples had a left shift. I'd (completely and utterly) guess that would lead to aliasing in the output.

gruhn
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Looking at your first sample I just remembered something irrelevant but possibly related...

Back in the day I wrote some BASICA code on a PC-AT for the 3 color CGA graphics. It was just supposed to fill the screen up with random colors in random locations. No memory what the actual code would be, but something like:

for i = 1 to 10000
x = random (0,320)
y = random (0,240)
c = random (0,3)
setpixel(x,y,c)
next i

At first it looked like it was working, but as the pixels started to fill in (this was back in the day, so 10,000 pixels was not instantaneous) it showed a diagonal stripe pattern of solid colors. If I threw in extra calls to random, the width and angle of the stripes changed. Evidence of a bad random number generator. What you have there is supposed to make noise... random numbers.

Not important, just interesting.

gruhn
06-12-2012, 07:46 PM
> ^ sometimes means POW, sometimes means Bitwise XOR.

> n >> 13 means shift left 13 bits (that means making it bigger, 13 times *2 right?)

That's shift right because the arrows point to the right. Each shift is the same as a divide by two. So it's making it smaller: n / pow(2,13).

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2012, 07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.