PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Disk Setup

name
11-25-2003, 02:43 AM
Ok...i made a partition on my drive thats about 5 Gb to use for a scratch disk for Photoshop and Illustrator...I know its best to put it on another drive completely but I only have the one...is there anything else I need to do to the partition? It seems like it takes files longer to open now than it did before when I had the scratch disk on the on the same partition as PS...this is the first time I've tried to set up a scratch disk so any help would be appreciated. I've got the paging file on my primary partition (where PS is installed) set to 1024 Mb...and the new partition I just made is set to around 512...not really sure what it should be at...helpy :)

I'm using XP in case that makes any difference.
Thx

singularity2006
11-25-2003, 05:04 AM
I think it might be as simple as an issue of defragging your drive. What kind of hard drive are you using? Specs?

name
11-25-2003, 05:29 AM
I defrag on a regular basis...i have a 120 Gb Maxtor 8 mb cache...the more i mess with it it seems like some of my really big files will open quite a bit slower than they did b4 but overall performance seems to be better...for example I can do things like the shear filter on huge files now where b4 i would get an insufficient ram message...i dunno...I didn't know if i should set a pagefile on the scratch disk partition or not...not sure about that one...anyone know?

halo
11-25-2003, 11:23 AM
your page file shouldnt be on the same partition as the scratch, so try not sticking any page on there at all

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.