PDA

View Full Version : Takedown

MillerGenuine
05-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone. I have just started working on a new animation for my upcoming demo reel and I would really like to have some feedback to see if I am going in the right direction.

Here is my blocking pass to see if my timing and posing work. I will be adding more breakdowns and extreme poses once everything flows well.

Thanks for taking your time to look at my work. I really appreciate any kind of comment/critique you may have

later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1OEwMdaLjo&feature=g-upl

(Youtube seems to have added 2 seconds of weirdness at the end of the clip)

YashaP
05-31-2012, 02:21 AM
Great start!
My biggest issue with this is that the black guy seems to dodge the punch before it even happens.
Another thing you might want to do is find some reference (if you already have not done so) and see how each character stays in balance at each different pose.

Keep up the great work and keep posting updates

-Yasha

MillerGenuine
05-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your comments Yasha. I went back in today and adjusted the timing of the black rig to react after the punch has started.

I do have some reference that I am using, I will look for some more and check my balance to make sure it is working.

I will be working on adding breakdowns and some exaggeration and I will post up the results. Thanks again for watching

MillerGenuine
06-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Hello again.

Latest update. Added some breakdown and some anticipation poses. I also worked a bit on the timing. I fixed the issue with the sliding foot on the ninja character as well. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

Steven Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USSJG6aP6ys&feature=youtu.be

YashaP
06-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Hey Steve!
I like the update.
The new problem is that it feels like the white guy punches and the holds that pose for a while before the black guy reacts and takes him down, so play with the timing in that section.
Also if you can try and up load a quicktime version of your shot so we can go through it frame by frame.

Good luck

-Yasha

MillerGenuine
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks again for your reply Yasha. I'll have to add another pose right after the punch to help with the feel i guess, and adjust the timing as you said.

As for the quicktime, I'll add one on my next update.

Thanks for your comments

Steven Miller

gagex2z
06-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I can help out a little on the posing itself possibly. I love animating wrestling stuff as I train in mma. What you're doing is essentially an exaggerated Metsger. There are two thing I would do to improve the shot so far. Make sure you add in a very defined level change. A level change is lowering your center of gravity straight down below your opponent's before rushing straight in and up to attack the legs.

I'd personally time the leg shot as he's punching. It would increase the chances of successfully taking him down and it would shorten your animation and make the issue with reacting to the punch a lot easier to deal with.

Once you're in on the legs there are 2 realistic ways to accomplish the takedown. The first is to hook under one leg and then yank the leg out from under him as you force his weight over beyond the standing leg. The way you have him being lifted up is the second. To load him up I'd engage the core and the back more. It's not great technique to use your back to help out but every time I've done or seen ti done in a live wrestling match against a resisting opponent you end up using some of your back to get him up.

Hope that helps. great shot so far!

MillerGenuine
06-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks for your comments gagex2z, I'm glad to hear some critiques from someone that has first hand experience with with this move.

I have been working on this for the last couple of days (whenever I got some free time) and I believe that I did address some parts which you were referring to. If you would be able to take a look again to see if I am on the right track, I would really appreciate it

Takedown_Update 2 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4yg38gl1paw9lw/Takedown_Update%202.mov)

Again, thanks everyone for watching and please let me know if anything seems odd or out of place.

(It's in quicktime format with a frame counter, so you'll be able to scroll through the animation and pin-point which parts you like/dislike)

Steven Miller

gagex2z
06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks for your comments gagex2z, I'm glad to hear some critiques from someone that has first hand experience with with this move.

I have been working on this for the last couple of days (whenever I got some free time) and I believe that I did address some parts which you were referring to. If you would be able to take a look again to see if I am on the right track, I would really appreciate it

Takedown_Update 2 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4yg38gl1paw9lw/Takedown_Update%202.mov)

Again, thanks everyone for watching and please let me know if anything seems odd or out of place.

(It's in quicktime format with a frame counter, so you'll be able to scroll through the animation and pin-point which parts you like/dislike)

Steven Miller

This might help you. In mma we use the takedown to get the fight down. So I would follow him down tot he ground on top. What you're doing is similar to a sanshou slam style finish. This video might help you with reference for timing your slam and the body mechanics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l71pjVU4II

MillerGenuine
06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
That has some really nice stuff in there. Thanks for the link, I will definitely use the reference.

(I found the actual move I am trying to make at 1:50 of the video, so that should really help)

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.