PDA

View Full Version : TabLayout and FormLayout

=LuxX=
05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi guys,

It has been like 2-3 years since I have scripted but I totaly forgot how to make a tabUI.

What I want is actualy quit simple I want 2 tabs and with in those tabs I want to use a formLayout so I can set the buttons and stuff on the location I want.
But for now I am totaly stuck. I get a error that doesnt tell me anything, so I hope one of you can help me out a bit.

if ( `window -exists MyWindow` ) {
deleteUI MyWindow;
}
window -s 0 -t "controls" -widthHeight 600 470 MyWindow;
//MAKE WINDOW

string $tabs = `tabLayout -innerMarginWidth 0 -innerMarginHeight 0 "tabLayout"`;
string $tabEen= `formLayout "settings"`;

string $FloatFieldGroupCrane = `floatField -minValue -360 -maxValue 360 -cc "Craneturn()"`;

setParent..;

string $tabTwee = `formLayout "Movement"`;
string $Trusters = `text -l "Trusters"`;

setParent..;

formLayout -edit
-attachForm $tabs "top" 0
-attachForm $tabs "left" 0

-af $FloatFieldGroupCrane "top" 55
-af $FloatFieldGroupCrane "left" 55
$tabEen;

formLayout -edit
-af $Trusters "top" 5
-af $Trusters "left" 5

$tabTwee;
tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $tabEen "Settings"
-tabLabel $tabTwee "Movement"

$tabs;
showWindow;

this is what I have now... its not much but I want the screens to wrok first before I continue. the error I get is:
//error line28: Object 'myWindow|tabLayout' not found.

can some one help me here? THNX!

NaughtyNathan
05-30-2012, 08:52 AM
your formLayouts are children of the tabLayout, but in the first formLayout edit you try to attach the tabLayout which is invalid, as it is not a child of the formLayout. You can only arrange or edit child controls of a formLayout.

=LuxX=
05-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Nathan

Thnx for the fast reaction.... but i dont actualy get what your saying.
when I look at the example from maya's HELP i got almost the same thing?

window -widthHeight 200 150;
string $form = `formLayout`;
string $tabs = `tabLayout -innerMarginWidth 5 -innerMarginHeight 5`;
formLayout -edit
-attachForm $tabs "bottom" 0
-attachForm $tabs "right" 0
$form;

string $child1 = `rowColumnLayout -numberOfColumns 2`;
button; button; button;
setParent ..;

string $child2 = `rowColumnLayout -numberOfColumns 2`;
button; button; button;
setParent ..;

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $child1 "One" -tabLabel $child2 "Two"
$tabs;

showWindow;

this is what is in the help.... but here they also edit the tablayout in a formlayout or am i missing the picture here... ?

NaughtyNathan
05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
look at that example code. the tabLayout is a child, under the formLayout. in your code, the tabLayout is the parent, and has no formLayout above it to attach to.

=LuxX=
05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
aaah yes im getting it i think...
now I have:

deleteUI MyWindow;
}
window -s 0 -t "controls" -menuBar true MyWindow;
menu -label "Options";
menuItem -label "Save File" -command "file -f -save"; // MAKE WINDOW WITH SAVE BUTTON

string $tabs = `tabLayout -innerMarginWidth 5 -innerMarginHeight 5`; //MAKE TABLAYOUT

formLayout -edit
$form;

string $ship = `formLayout`;

string $FloatFieldGroupCrane = `floatFieldGrp -label "CRANE" -extraLabel "Degree" -cc "Craneturn()"`;
setParent..;

string $Trusters = `formLayout`;
setParent..;

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $ship "SHIP"
-tabLabel $Trusters "TRUSTERS"
$tabs;

showWindow;

global proc Craneturn() {
global string $FloatFieldGroupCrane;
global float $turncrane;

$turncrane= `floatFieldGrp -query -value $FloatFieldGroupCrane`;
setAttr "CONTROLS.CRANE" $turncrane;
}

This works but now when I want to set the location of the $FloatFieldGroupCrane.
so this needs to become before the set parent to leave it a child?
or do i have to set all buttons/slider and anything else that will come on a tab before

tabLayout -edit?

and my $FloatFieldGroupCrane isnt working... grrrr hehe _O-

NaughtyNathan
05-30-2012, 10:54 AM
use tab/space indents to view the parent/child nesting of your UIs, it's a big help. (also use |code| tags on this forum to retain the formatting of your posted code)
window;
formLayout A;
tabLayout T;
formLayout B;
button b1;
floatSlider b2;
setParent ..;
formLayout C;
button c1;
floatSlider c2;
setParent ..;
setParent ..;
setParent ..;

so you have three formLayouts, A, B and C.
A has only one child (T) and B and C both have two children. B and C are, in turn, children of T. So you will need three separate formLayout -edit commands, each of which attaches it's own children. It doesn't matter where in the code these go, or in what order, as long as they are after all of the code that creates their contents (and before the showWindow would probably be preferable, but not mandatory)

=LuxX=
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM

deleteUI MyWindow;
}
menu -label "Options";
menuItem -label "Save File" -command "file -f -save"; // MAKE WINDOW WITH SAVE BUTTON

string $tabs = `tabLayout -innerMarginWidth 5 -innerMarginHeight 5`; //MAKE TABLAYOUT

formLayout -edit
$form;

string $FloatFieldGroupCrane = `floatFieldGrp -label "CRANE" -extraLabel "Degree" -cc "Craneturn()"`;
string $FloatFieldGroupboom = `floatFieldGrp -label "Boom" -extraLabel "Degree" -cc "BoomUp()"`;
setParent..;

string $FloatFieldGroupTrust1 = `floatFieldGrp -label "Truster 1" -extraLabel "Degree"`;
setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

formLayout -edit
-af $FloatFieldGroupCrane "top" 0
-af $FloatFieldGroupCrane "left" 10
-af $FloatFieldGroupBoom "top" 15
-af $FloatFieldGroupBoom "left" 10

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $ship "SHIP"
$tabs;

showWindow;

//PROCS
global string $FloatFieldGroupCrane;
global float $turncrane;

$turncrane= `floatFieldGrp -query -value $FloatFieldGroupCrane`;
}

global proc BoomUp() {
global string $FloatFieldGroupBoom;
global float $BoomMove;

$BoomMove= `floatFieldGrp -query -value $FloatFieldGroupBoom`;
setAttr "CONTROLS.BOOM" $BoomMove;
}

Oke this is my code so far but strange things are happening... when i make strings the strings wont turn blue in my script editor. *(i made some of them blue in here)
and im still strugeling with the form editor... at the red part i thought i had to close it with $ship; since I am setting the formLayout for ship?

when I delete the red part it works fine only I get the message: Cannot convert data of type float[] to type float. when i try to fill in the field :( ( wat does this mean? )
sorry to ask this much i got a book in front of me and i use the help a lot but they arent that helpfull.. they confuse me more then they help me.. :(

=LuxX=
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Whiiii it looks all nice now... the only problem I have now is thatI cant fill in a value or move the slider. Well i can move them but nothing happens.
Error: line 61: Object '' not found. // is what I get if I want to change something.
$turncrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -query -value $FloatsliderCrane`; (is line 61)
the wierd thing is that I Didnt change my proc....

THNX !
ow and some how my code just dont keeps its spacing when i copy it in here

deleteUI MyWindow;
}
menu -label "Options";

string $form = `formLayout -numberOfDivisions 100`;
string $tabs = `tabLayout -innerMarginWidth 0 -innerMarginHeight 0`; //MAKE TABLAYOUT

formLayout -edit
$form;

string $ship = `formLayout -numberOfDivisions 100 `;
string $sliderCrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -label "Crane" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyCrane()"-el "Meter" -min -360 -max 360 -cc "Craneturn()"`;
string $sliderBoom = `floatSliderButtonGrp -label "Boom" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyBoom()"-el "Degree" -min -5 -max 78.68 -cc "BoomMove()"`;
string $sliderRoll = `floatSliderButtonGrp -label "Roll" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyBoom()"-el "Degree" -min -10 -max 10 -cc "rollShip()"`;
string $sliderPitch = `floatSliderButtonGrp -label "Pitch" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyBoom()"-el "Degree" -min -10 -max 10 -cc "pitchShip()"`;

formLayout -edit

-af $sliderCrane "top" 10
-af $sliderCrane "left" -100
-af $sliderBoom "top" 35
-af $sliderBoom "left" -100
-af $sliderRoll "top" 10
-ac $sliderRoll "left" -100 $sliderCrane
-af $sliderPitch "top" 35
-ac $sliderPitch "left" -100 $sliderCrane

$ship;
setParent..;

string $Trusters = `formLayout -numberOfDivisions 100`;
string $FloatFieldGroupTrust1 = `floatFieldGrp -label "Truster 1" -extraLabel "Degree"`;
setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $ship "SHIP"
$tabs;

showWindow;

//PROCS
//PRC CRANE
global proc KeyCrane() {
setKeyframe "CONTROLS.CRANE";
}
global string $FloatsliderCrane;
global float $turncrane;
$turncrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -query -value $FloatsliderCrane`;
}
//PROC BOOM
global proc KeyBoom() {
setKeyframe "CONTROLS.BOOM";
}
global proc BoomMove() {
global string $FloatsliderBoom;
global float $boomUp;
$boomUp = `floatSliderButtonGrp -q -v $FloatsliderBoom`;
setAttr "CONTROLS.BOOM" $boomUp;
}

NaughtyNathan
05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Error: line 61: Object '' not found. // is what I get if I want to change something.
$turncrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -query -value $FloatsliderCrane`; (is line 61)
the wierd thing is that I Didnt change my proc....

that is because $FloatsliderCrane is never set to anything anywhere...? if you print it, you get an empty string.

If I were you I would not use global variables, simply NAME your controls and then refer to those names in your procs.

floatSliderButtonGrp -label "Crane" -cc "Craneturn" myCraneSliderCtrl;
floatSliderButtonGrp -label "Boom" -cc "BoomMove" myCraneBoomCtrl;
etc...

global proc Craneturn()
{
float $value = `floatSliderButtonGrp -q -v myCraneSliderCtrl`;
etc...
}

=LuxX=
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
SWEET!!! so far I have everything working...
now I have to repeat this a lot of times to make it all happen!

thnx allot men !! when im stuck I now know who I need to ask :P

=LuxX=
05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
pfff.... call me stupid or so cause I 'm stuck again.

I want to make a frameLayout that is collapsable. (because there are way to many sliders and I want to hide some) Now I did some research an noticed that a FrameLayout needs to be in a columnLayout. ( or an other "normal" layout )
so I made the columnLayout then the frameLayout and putted the stuff in there..
then I "closed" the both layouts with setParent..; and went on with the next layout(trusters)

I Dont get what I did wrong. I tried to put the setParent..; on different places I tried it with column and with out the columnLayout... but no succes. do I realy need that column? and can I put a formlayout in a frameLayout?

sorry to ask you again... but dont have any one else here in this comapny who understands what I am doing... ( neither do I :P )

deleteUI MyWindow;
}
menu -label "Options";

string $form = `formLayout -numberOfDivisions 100`;
string $tabs = `tabLayout -innerMarginWidth 0 -innerMarginHeight 0`; //MAKE TABLAYOUT

formLayout -edit
$form;

columnLayout;
frameLayout -collapsable true -l "HOOKS";

string $sliderCrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Crane" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyCrane()"-el "Meter" -min -360 -max 360 -cc "Craneturn" myCraneSliderCtrl`;

string $sliderBoom = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Boom" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyBoom()"-el "Degree" -min -5 -max 78.68 -cc "BoomMove" BoomSliderCtrl`;

string $sliderRoll = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 80 -label "Roll" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyRoll()"-el "Degree" -min -10 -max 10 -cc "rollShip" RollSliderCtrl`;

string $sliderPitch = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 80 -label "Pitch" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyPitch()"-el "Degree" -min -10 -max 10 -cc "pitchShip" PitchSliderCtrl`;

//MAINHOOK
string $MainHookTekst = `text -label "MAINHOOK" -fn fixedWidthFont -bgc 0.941 0.282 0.184`;

string $MainMove = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Up Down" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyMainMove()"-el "Meter" -min -1000 -max 0 -dc "MoveMainHook" MainhookSliderCtrl`;

string $MainOffLead = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Off lead" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyMainOfflead()"-el "Degree" -min 0 -max -1000 -dc "OffleadMainHook" MHoffleadSliderCtrl`;

formLayout -edit

-af $sliderCrane "left" -80
-af $sliderBoom "top" 35
-af $sliderBoom "left" -80
-af $sliderRoll "top" 10
-ac $MainHookTekst "top" 25 $sliderBoom
-af $MainHookTekst "left" 20
-af $MainMove "top" 100
-af $MainMove "left" -80
$ship;

setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

string $Trusters = `formLayout -numberOfDivisions 100`;

setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $ship "SHIP"
$tabs;
showWindow;

NaughtyNathan
05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Any layout can be a child of any layout. Your nested layout setup is actually fine, the problem here is that you are still assuming that $ship is one of the children of your tabLayout $tabs. However it is NOT because you have added a columnLayout above it. So your tab Layout still has two children/tabs, but the first is now a columnLayout (unnamed), and the second is a formLayout ($Trusters)

you need to give the columnLayout a name (or variable) and use that in the tabLayout -edit instead of $ship. However, you may find that a columnLayout is not good enough as it won't allow you to control the (attach) height of your frameLayout. You may have to replace it with yet another formLayout...

=LuxX=
05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Aaah yes.. I get it.
because there where new childeren I had to rename -tabLabel to the new name of the child..

thnx again... learning more and more :)

=LuxX=
05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi nathan could you explain please how the error
'MyWindow|formLayout595|tabLayout173|frameLayout264|formLayout598|text236' not found.
works... because im still stuck at making the frame layout.
But I want to figure out why...

in short what I have now is: (I probably do still something wrong with the parent and childeren... )

Window
formLayout
Tablayout ( $tabs)
FormLayout ($form2)
frameLayout
formlayout ($ship)
setParent..;
setParent..; after this im back in $form2 right?
frameLayout
formLayout ($MHForm)
setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;
FormLayout ($trusters)
setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $Form2 "SHIP"

aaaarg FFS... i just made a whole nice overvieuw with spaces .. and now I look in the preview post and everything is gone... srry for that

deleteUI MyWindow;
}
menu -label "Options";

formLayout;

string $Form2 = `formLayout`;

frameLayout -collapsable true -l "SHIP";

string $sliderCrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Crane" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyCrane()"-el "Meter" -min -360 -max 360 -cc "Craneturn" myCraneSliderCtrl`;
string $sliderBoom = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Boom" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyBoom()"-el "Degree" -min -5 -max 78.68 -cc "BoomMove" BoomSliderCtrl`;
string $sliderRoll = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 80 -label "Roll" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyRoll()"-el "Degree" -min -10 -max 10 -cc "rollShip" RollSliderCtrl`;
string $sliderPitch = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 80 -label "Pitch" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyPitch()"-el "Degree" -min -10 -max 10 -cc "pitchShip" PitchSliderCtrl`;
setParent..;

setParent..;

frameLayout -collapsable true -l "Main Hook";
string $MHForm = `formLayout`;
//MAINHOOK
string $MainHookTekst = `text -label "MAINHOOK" -fn fixedWidthFont -bgc 0.941 0.282 0.184`;
string $MainMove = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Up Down" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyMainMove()"-el "Meter" -min -1000 -max 0 -dc "MoveMainHook" MainhookSliderCtrl`;
string $MainOffLead = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 140 -label "Off lead" -field true -buttonLabel "KEY" -bc "KeyMainOfflead()"-el "Degree" -min 0 -max -1000 -dc "OffleadMainHook" MHoffleadSliderCtrl`;
setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

setParent..;
setParent..;
setParent..;

formLayout -edit
-af $sliderCrane "left" -80
-af $sliderBoom "top" 35
-af $sliderBoom "left" -80
-af $sliderRoll "top" 10
-ac $MainHookTekst "top" 25 $sliderBoom
-af $MainHookTekst "left" 20
-af $MainMove "top" 100
-af $MainMove "left" -80
$ship;

tabLayout -edit
-tabLabel $Form2 "SHIP"

$tabs;
showWindow;

NaughtyNathan
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
$MainHookTekst, $MainMove and $MainOffLead are all children of formLayout $MHForm.
you cannot attach them to any other formLayouts which is what you are trying to do. You are trying to attach them in $ship, and they are not children of $ship, so you get a "not found" error.

You can only attach and arrange children of the formLayout you are -editing. you currently have FIVE formLayouts in this code, so you will need FIVE separate and independant formLayout -edit ... commands.

=LuxX=
05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Now I Have it like I want. thnx (again!)

Only 1 thing is a bit strange.
let me make a example.

When I Adjust the first 4 sliders to 10 and I close my little program. Then the objects in my scene are moved/rotated. when I again open my program and type 0 in the field they will jump back to there origional position.

The sliders are setting atributes of a curve. With/on that curve I made set driven keys to adjust the stuff in my scene. (setAttr "CONTROLS.CRANE" $Cranevalue; )

but my other sliders are directly setting the atributes of objects in my scene.
( for instance setAttr "Mainhook_block1.translateY" $MHvalue;) so when I adjust the slider they will move/rotate... but when I close my little program and open it again. Then when I fill in 0 in the field it wil not go back to the origional position. Do I realy need to make driven keys of all these object in order to get them back when in fill in 0 ?
or is there a way to program this?

I hope you get my examples...

=LuxX=
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
ow its something toataly different...

the fields dont respond at all!

I can type in what ever I want but nothing happens. :(
Is it even possible to type something in the fields of the floatSliderButtonGrp to make it change?

bah....

** EDIT**
I totaly changed everything... and it looks like it is working now
I worked with procs but deleted them and used this now :

string $sliderCrane = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 240 -label "Crane" -field true
-fmn -360 -fmx 360 -buttonLabel "reset" -bc "setAttr CONTROLS.CRANE 0"
-sbc "setKeyframe CONTROLS.CRANE" -el "Meter" -min -360 -max 360 -sbd true -i "SETKEYSMALL.xmp" myCraneSliderCtrl`;
connectControl myCraneSliderCtrl("CONTROLS.CRANE");

=LuxX=
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I dont want to open a new post for this because im still working on the same script.

Here is the wierd thing I bump in to.

I finsihed the script but wanted to add a extra control so I worte this:

string $AframeSlider = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 240 -l "Aframe" -field true -buttonLabel "RESET" -bc "setAttr AframeCurve.translateY 0"

-sbc "setKeyframe AframeCurve.translateY" -el "Meter" -min -19 -max 0 -sbd true -i "Flag.png" AframesliderCtrl`;
connectControl AframesliderCtrl ("AframeCurve.translateY");
( I have done this line like 25 times with all different handles and objects, but i get a realy strange error on this 1..

My ERROR:
// Error: string $AframeSlider = `floatSliderButtonGrp -cw 2 40 -cw 3 240 -l "Aframe" -field true -buttonLabel "RESET" -bc "setAttr Afra€ //
// Error: Line 16.22: Syntax error //
// Error: -af $AframeSlider "top" 110
//
// Error: Line 153.27: "$AframeSlider" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: -af $AframeSlider "left" -80
//
// Error: Line 154.28: "$AframeSlider" is an undeclared variable. //

I do understand the last ones because the first line doesnt work right. But why?? what does that wierd euro sing do in the middle of my word Aframe?

THnx if someone can help me

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.