PDA

View Full Version : Which compositing software

xn3ct
05-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Hey guys,

I want to learn more about compositing and recently I began looking into which software package I should start learning.

The most common name for a beginner like me is After Effects of which I hear everywhere, I know it's used a lot for TV, titles, etc., but after researching a bit a lot more name came up. Such as Autodesk's Smoke, The Foundry's Nuke and even Apple's Motion. I know a little about Nuke and that it is used in big production houses, node architecture, etc. I don't know a lot about Smoke except that it is supposed to merge the editing and vfx parts together. I know almost nothing about Motion, since I can't tell how good and what it is suited for from Apple's website.

So, can anyone shed some light on this subject matter for me, since it is very hard to get a good picture just from pieces scattered across the internet and never having used neither extensively? What would be a good way to go about this?

My aim would be to create my own videos with footage shot with my DLSR such as short music videos, short films, etc. But, I would also be interested in knowing what more can I do with these applications.

Much appreciated.

pingking
05-29-2012, 10:36 AM
a node based approach fits better if you working on a per shot basis and want to do a lot of operations with the footage you have. its the more common solution for vfx work. main software here are: the foundry nuke, eyeon fusion, autodesk composite

a layer based approach is better if you working on a per sequence basis/when you need to time and trim a lot of elements. its more common for motion graphics/title design/...
main software here: After Effects. (apple motion tries to play in the same league, but no doubt AE IS the standard)

autodesk smoke is a so called finishing system. it was used to "online" a cut (use the cut from avid/final cut and replace the proxies with uncompressed material) and do some effects on it. now the shift the whole product more towards a "all in one" solution. you can edit in it, do layer and node based effects, do colorcorrection and so on.

if you want do music videos with all these funky animations and effects then AE is the tool to choose. a lot of plugins and tutorials availible on the internet

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2012, 10:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.