PDA

View Full Version : Best Option for Import of Maya Native Files .mb or .ma

studiomiguel
11-24-2003, 09:12 PM
I NEED to import Maya 4.5 files to Lightwave. I see the beaver project, I see the Maya3ltw pluging, I see Polytrans... I have to have a solution for a live job. Being that the client also is throwing XSI files at me I am thinking that PolyTrans is the best option. I'd like some input, good or bad about your experiences.

Thanks.

Michael

CourtJester
11-24-2003, 09:14 PM
There is also the .fbx format from Kaydara, the Motionbuilder folks (www.kaydara.com)

you can download it now, free

studiomiguel
11-24-2003, 09:28 PM
whatcha mean there's the .fbx format? I mean, I know they can export to .fbx and I can import... but my client doesn't want to deal with it... I have 4.5 .mb files. That's it. I don't get anything else. Is my understanding correct or is there something about .fbx that can help me with my current problem?

M

ngrava
11-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Polytrans or Deep Exploration will convert Maya scenes into LightWave.

-=GB=-

CourtJester
11-24-2003, 11:01 PM
.fbx is an intermediate format. You download plugs for Maya and for LW, one app saves into the intermediate format and the other loads it.

That being said, I reread your post and now see what your situation is, I apologize for missing the precise details. You'd need to have an install of both apps running to translate via .fbx, or have the client install the plug and export an .fbx for you, which I gather won't happen.

In that case, I defer to ngrava, Deep Exploration or Polytrans is your best bet, especialy with incoming files of multiple formats.

studiomiguel
11-24-2003, 11:06 PM
For future reference: So fbx translates what exactly? UVs & textures? Motions? Or just geometry?

And thanks for your reply's I know this is kind of a bizarre situation.

M

3DDave
11-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Sorry, the FBX format doesn't really work that way as a translator.

You will need a bone setup in Lightwave first with your final character attached to it before you can import animation to it.

You can download my general bone setup for bipeds here.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65961

All of the bone setups will have to match with correct names and orientations (HPBXYZ). It would be best to go from Maya to Motion Builder then to Lightwave to make sure everything works right.

studiomiguel
11-24-2003, 11:21 PM
That's right, I seem to remember someone demoing the app and explaining how you had to have specific setups with bones and nulls all named correctly...

what about textures? can I count on them coming through?

M

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.