PDA

View Full Version : Creator of "Myst" launches new game

RobertoOrtiz
11-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Quotes:
"Miller spent five years, $12M creating Uru."

"Rand Miller proudly held a copy of his new computer game Uru and enjoyed a rare moment of tactile pleasure in a digital career. After spending five years and more than $12 million to make the virtual world of Uru, the creator of Myst last week finally was able to grasp a box of the new game. "

>>Link<< (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-11-23-uru-debut_x.htm)

-R

Dirtystimpy
11-24-2003, 08:25 PM
I hope its a big success.

I love to see studios working in small areas such as spokane, WA.

swardson
11-25-2003, 03:26 AM
sweet, I didnt know they were making another one. It sounds like it will be a fun game. I really loved the first three. I think I now have a new item to add to my christmas list. :thumbsup:

ambient-whisper
11-25-2003, 09:08 AM
man. the way they talk about cyan seems like a dream workplace.

Dirtystimpy
11-25-2003, 03:13 PM
"the way they talk about cyan seems like a dream workplace."

yeah, spokane is okay, but if you go accross the border and into idaho, its just like lake tahoe, but better. If you love the camping, skiing, outdoors, its the place for ya.

but...
I also work with someone who worked on Riven, and he hardly calls the studio a dream workplace. but that was a few years ago before the new management I guess.

Signal2Noise
11-25-2003, 03:26 PM
My pre-ordered copy of URU arrived in the mail last Friday. I played it practically most of the weekend and am still in the first age (there's 4). So far it's really good and not a mild disappointment (mild because I'm still a huge Myst fan at heart) as I thought it would be. The only downside is that I'm on a waiting list to access URU Live. URU owners get about 3 months free Live access upon registration but it's being eaten up by this wait list.:sad:

Otherwise I give it a 4 out of 5 pixels;)

Garma
11-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Cool :cool: I expect a lot from it, seen the succes of myst, riven and exile. Those were glorious days, walking around on your own on an island searching for those clues..

I've seen the making of myst once. The sound for the under water scene from myst was created by holding a pipe in the toilet and blowing through it, and recording that.

glorious days :applause:

kwshipman
11-25-2003, 04:51 PM
There is a demo available at fileplanet. If your machine is powerful enough to crank the settings as far as they go the visuals are better then the other three myst games but in realtime 3D not prerendered stills. I am hoping this one finds its way under my x-mas tree:thumbsup:

Thalaxis
11-25-2003, 05:23 PM
It also looks great on a big-screen TV, even though that does
restrict the output resolution a bit.

:applause:

RockinAkin
11-25-2003, 05:51 PM
I played the demo just a few days ago.

Awesome graphics - I love the new realtime 3D interface into the worlds... so much more immersive.

Definatly have to pick up a copy of it soon.

StevenR
11-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Dirtystimpy
I also work with someone who worked on Riven, and he hardly calls the studio a dream workplace. but that was a few years ago before the new management I guess. I think the folks at Cyan were incredibly stressed during the development of Riven. I've gathered the impression that Uru, while actually being a larger project, has been somewhat less stressful.

I bought Uru on the 17th. Fantastic game. The new control system is a bit tricky at first, but practice makes perfect, and 3rd person is worth it for some of the camera moves they use. Definitely worth the $50, even if we do have to wait for Live :)

Re: Uru Live. Live is still in beta testing; that's why they're only letting people access it in groups. Another group will supposedly be let in this week ;) (It would appear that the primary focus of the previous closed beta test was on the ages and puzzles present in Uru Prime (single-player).)

jsh3d
11-25-2003, 09:24 PM
I got into the Uru Live "prologue," aka beta test last week. Lots of fun, it's cool how they add new stuff daily, and I hear there are plans to add new ages monthly once it goes public.

Single player had a few flaws, but overall it was pretty cool, a good introduction to live (which is Cyan's main project). I'd agree signal to noise's 4/5 rateing.

-jsh3d

IvanMilles
11-26-2003, 09:24 AM
This is potentially something that will keep me indoors for the rest of my life. My only salvation is that I have a Mac, and nobody releases games for the Mac, but me. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.